Oil temperature - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-01-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Changing after a rebuild or lots of dirt or water driving of course distance doesn't apply thats just normal, when I get back from a tour I give it a service and if I hit the distance while away change the filters at least ....................... last 2 CRD's made it to nearly 300K before sold with no drama or codes, no oil burning or changes in temps or economy and they all dragged a van, in fact ran just the same as when I got them , the WG injectors bleed back had hardly changed at all........ each to their own of course.... filters I always looked at changing often.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,345 Times in 776 Posts

Im more a n a l then that...I will give em a service before a trip regardless...highly unlikely I'll rack up 10k on a trip...if shit goes down then I'll give em a service while away...only happened a few times with new motors....and Im a firm believer in RUNNING EM IN (read : cruel to be kind)if you want to get a lot out of em...bed em in hard and they run forever...obviously not tge first few hundred...BUT...at 500klm they need a OPEN UP to get things bedded....my method for the Merc vans was 2t payload...approach BIGGEST hill on Freeway north of Brizvegas at 80kph in top slot...at the bottom of the hill...FLOOR IT !........do that on its three trips....fourth return trip.....WOT (wide open throttle) for as long as possible.....NEVER had a drama with any of them....ran extra good....min of 700,000klm on em when we got out of the Industry....Gold Coast business bought em and converted em to Motor Homes.....reckon Ive seen a couple in the years that have pasted.....molly coddling diesels in particular is a false economy

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 19-01-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old 20-01-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Im more a n a l then that...I will give em a service before a trip regardless...highly unlikely I'll rack up 10k on a trip...if shit goes down then I'll give em a service while away...only happened a few times with new motors....and Im a firm believer in RUNNING EM IN (read : cruel to be kind)if you want to get a lot out of em...bed em in hard and they run forever...obviously not tge first few hundred...BUT...at 500klm they need a OPEN UP to get things bedded....my method for the Merc vans was 2t payload...approach BIGGEST hill on Freeway north of Brizvegas at 80kph in top slot...at the bottom of the hill...FLOOR IT !........do that on its three trips....fourth return trip.....WOT (wide open throttle) for as long as possible.....NEVER had a drama with any of them....ran extra good....min of 700,000klm on em when we got out of the Industry....Gold Coast business bought em and converted em to Motor Homes.....reckon Ive seen a couple in the years that have pasted.....molly coddling diesels in particular is a false economy

You rich people who can buy new, must be a wonderful feeling, last one for me was last century.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,345 Times in 776 Posts

Im in your boat now mate....last NEW one I bought was 2006/7 and was a business purchase, not a Merc for me...I do regret not keeping that one to convert into a Motor Home...man did it have some get up and gawwwwwn !....I 'had' to import the last few from Benz direct in Germany...Autobahn rated....GEEEEZUS !....It didnt start to get 'motivated' until...ummmm....cant put it out there...but...we know the Autobahn is 160kph no problems...is one of few vehicles where I 'backed off' when 'upping it'....only an Aluminium Bull Bar and a bit of sheet metal between 'approaching objects' and my legs....must have been old enough by then to 'think about it'....will tell you few stories when we catch up

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 25-01-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,167 Times in 618 Posts

Just got back from a trip to Biloela and stops between towing the van. Oil temp hit a high of 125c on the longer grades over the range from Calliope...coolant as high as 112c, ambient about 30c.

At 90 - 95 kmh oil sits at 112 - 115c, coolant 104c - 107c.

I have some serious work to do to figure why so hot given my previous Jeep never went over 100c coolant and 110c oil...

Any hints??
Old 25-01-2023
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Thats does seem quite high mate, mine even while on low range trudging up a huge steep rocky hill in hot temps reached 98, then the fan kicked in and whipped it down quickly.
Maybe the thermostat has had the dick and isn't opening early enough, or some bright spark put a hotter one in.
Old 25-01-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,167 Times in 618 Posts

I am a tad pissed i must say, I did think the thermostat may have been crook and sticking as the temps were too high before I spent stupid money getting a new genuine thermostat put in a couple of weeks ago. (due to the warranty I paid for it to be done).
I had the radiator and block flushed a couple of weeks prior due to the high temps.

So...the last thermostat was opening at 94 degrees, I know that due to having a gauge reading coolant temp constantly.
The new $400 dollar genuine Jeep thermostat (with housing), is opening at 97 degrees. So the engine runs at around 98 degrees even before any load is put on it.

I was staying at Hervey Bay for a couple of nights so I called Jeep Parts and bought a new Radiator cap thinking maybe the cap is not holding pressure and allowing the coolant temps to rise...new cap no different.

I am going to have to take it to a Dealer to have the fan sorted anyway as it screams when ever a DPF burn is taking place, and I'll have them check the temps that trigger the fan for cooling.
I can't say I hear the fan come on at all when the temps climb as they do, where as I'll hear it screaming when a burn is happening.

The temps are ok when not towing, sits on around 98 coolant and around 105 oil, but towing it does not seem to like it at all...