JK: Hunty's Jeep - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Installed custom drawers - removed rear seat

The drawers really make touring in the 2dr JK much more pleasant - I made really big drawers - they filled up the entire TUB - plenty big enough for the Mrs & I to pack everything we needed for a 10,000km road trip into central OZ

A carpenter I am not! so I will not bore you with a dumbass how to. (especially as I have no idea anyway! LoL - lots of wood, screws and liquid nails!)

I will however point out a couple of "Jeep Thangs"

1. - the rear floor is not flat or level
2. - the rear seat mounts in the floor are not (in mine anyway) centered
3. - the tub, dont what else to call it (in mine anyway) is not square!

I got out a huge hammer to flatten the little metal tabs that the removable fiber/plastic storage cover slots into.

I have made a little access hole in order to utilise the small lower storage are.

Still to come (and I havent figured out the best way to do it yet) is some kind of Piano hinge on the front end - behind the driver and passenger seat to allow me to access the 2 large extra storage areas in front of the wheel arches.

Yes I made my drawers BIG! - i wanted to use all the available space in the back of my huge 2dr JK LoL - i didnt even use sliders because I wanted to maximise the space available for the drawers! - to ensure they slide I used 17mm 6 ply with the hard shinny finish and coated them with silicone!

I relocated the sub to behind the drivers seat - it fits in there comfortably and gives better bass in the front!

Covered it all in marine grey carpet and it looks like a bought 1!
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Custom Bars, Roof top tent & Awning

I set my rig up to do the Cape with the SJC and took it out to Uluru as a test - It tours really well - very comfortable.

I designed the bars myself as I wanted them to be very strong (to hold my fat @ss)

[IMG]http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/file-4.jpg[/IMG
]
Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Chime Busted - $5.00 - seatbelt warning 10c

Hi Guyz
This is perhaps my best mod ever!!!!

What the hell were Chrysler thinking!!! - who on earth wants to listen to that annoying chime just because they have opened their drivers door! or they want to slowly winch up a steep hill covered in mud and don't want to wear or dirty up their seat belt (especially if its a daily drive) (please always wear your seat belt because if you don't and your airbag goes off it will probably kill you!)

This mod will give you a switch to decide if you want your Jeep JK factory or quiet!

The only downside to this mod is - if you silence the chime you also disable the interior light sensor -(only on the drivers side) the light will still come on from the light control on the steering column and the passenger door!

What you need
1. Scotch Lock 25c
2. Red switch - Jaycar $2.95c
3. small piece of wire and some electrical tape.
4. Peace and Quiet - priceless!

Tools
1. philips head screw driver for the 4 screws in the door
2. allen Key for the hex head inside the door release
3. wire stripper and Soldering iron / solder

Step 1
Remove inside door skin - remove 4 screws and 1 hex head bolt
gently pry off the trim starting from the bottom of the door - just pull and you will hear the plastic locks popping of 1 at a time - go slow and and after you have released the bottom of the skin lift the door skin up to clear the bottom of the window lip - carefully remove the plug to the central locking switch.

Step 2
cut the purple wire - sorry the photo is little blurred

Step 3
drill hole for switch - any where you like! - theres plenty of options re space for a switch!

Step 4
insert and wire up switch to purple wire.

Step 5
replace door trim.

Step 6
clamp scotch lock onto green and black seatbelt sensor wires under drivers seat.

Step 7
Brag to your friends that you can open your drivers door and not have to put up with the endless annoying chime and the stereo stays on - you can go 4x4 wheelin with your seat belt off and not have to listen to the annoying chime - please always wear your seat belt because if you don't and your airbag goes off it will probably kill you! or at least break your neck!

Enjoy
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Official proof I am Loosing it - AKA incab winch control lol

Hi Guyz
I woke up sunday morning and all was well, Bathurst 1000 on the TV, a perfect day brewing until - I had a great idea - why not install a switch inside my Jeep to run my winch!

So I took a fistful of smarta$$ pills and begun!

I decided I wanted to keep the original SmittyX wired remote and add a wireless transmitter / receiver and a switch inside the cab near the steering wheel.
After much sitting around and watching the great race I realised that I really should install some kind of hidden switch to disable the winch so when I park it with the roof off people will not be able to reach into my cab press the winch out button and easily rip off my dyneema rope (which I keep tightly spooled onto the winch - so tight in fact that the mechanical free spool release can't be operated until some slack is created by pressing the winch out button for a few seconds.

I grabbed another handful of smarta$$ pills and realised immediately that if someone with a smittyX wired remote control really wanted my dyneema rope they could just plug their winch control into my winch and spool it all out - so I needed a master lockout switch preferably in the cab and preferably with a key

finally I got motivated to do it and thought what if someone sitting inside the cab (baby sitting the steering wheel and brakes) were to press the winch out button whilst I was outside the cab overseeing the winching and pressing the winch in button on the smittyX remote or the wirelss transmitter "would the winch blow up in spectacular fashion??? (If you know what happens please post up) - a lockout of some sort needed to be engineered!

quick tally up
1. Wired remote
2. Wireless remote
3. Incab switch
4. Master lock with key switch
5. electrical lockout system

I went to the wreckers because I knew that car window switches have a lockout system built in to stop dad in the front and little johnny in the back both pressing opposites (up & down simultaneously) and blowing up the window winder

I wanted a slimline switch - i had seen other JK Jeeps with Arb switches mounted in the A pillar and wanted to try to get a little more subtle installation so I found a nice (LoL) SSangyong Musso 4x4 at pick a part and extracted its rear window switch.

Holdens still leading so I got bored with the race and started to sketch possible circuit diagrams (as per pic lol) and realised that I would need at least 2 relays to ensure fool proof lockout

Final tally
1. Wired remote
2. Wireless remote
3. Incab switch
4. Master lock with key switch
5. electrical lockout system inc 2 x 12v relays with N/O N/C contacts
6. Hookup wire
7. Fuse holder and fuse
8. Convoluted plastic split tube to protect wire going from Cab to winch
9. 3 way selector switch - Jaycar i off ii
10. 2 more boxes of smarta$$ pills - because this became a real noodle scratcher

Step 1
cut in switches - i preffer to use a piece of cardboard and cut a hole with a stanley knife and test fit my switches in the cardboard first - when I get the perfect fit I trace the hole onto the A pillar and then cut with a sharp knife and file with a metal file to get the hole as perfect as I can!

Step 2
open the passenger door, remove the side dash pannel and you will see a hole blocked with yellow insulation material, get a big screw driver and poke through it - you now have acess from cab to engine bay - install cable

Step 3
wiring, soldering and crimping

Basic wiring concepts
1. the key interrupts the 12v coming from the winch controller b4 it gets to a) the in cab switch b) the wireless remote and c) the standard smittyX wired remote control

2. The little switch (i off ii) is connected to both relays (i) to relay 1 and (ii) to relay 2 - 12v positive in ---- the negative in is connected to the Jeeps earth - when the switch (i) is pressed the relay (1) is activated the same goes for switch (ii) and relay 2 - --- because the relays provide a N/C output (N/C stands for normally closed - relay output is on even when the relay is not energised) it is possible to wire the incab switch through the relay N/C connection! ---- this will mean that when the switch is pressed (activating the wireless or wired remotes) and the relay is activated the in cab switch will get disconnected. (sorry if I am making no sense - run out of smarta$$ pills - LoL - if anyone can better explain this little relay magic please post up!

3. Connect everything up but keep the main 12v feed (350amp big red cable) to the winch off the battery incase of any D'oH fickle finger of fate actions - test with multi meter to ensure all works as desired.

in conclusion
The Key is the Master switch
the little switch determines which of the 3 input options will go to the winch
Wired remote, wireless remote and in cab switch
It all works well and looks neat and I don't have to worry about blowing up my winch

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the system please post up
enjoy
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile 3 snatch blocks & 1 winch - how to reverse winch!

I was challenged by a mate - to try and prove you can reverse winch without running the cable under your Jeep
below is the video I made - enjoy
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile New Rubicon Express rear springs and perches

I noticed that my heap was running on bowing rear springs (Misaligned) caused by lifting the suspension with extended length springs by the moron who regularly drives it! (me)lol

I am loaded to the MAX 40ltr extra fuel + 40ltr extra water roof top tent, cooking gear & fridge, tools hi lift jack, all my work equipment, my lightweight draws NOT !, spares clothes etc!!

I suspected that the springs on full flex where bottoming out possibly worse - pinching and maybe damaging them - ( I need to add appropriate bump stops)

I just recently picked up a huge Swag from TassieJK (Thanx again Mal) which included really nice rubicon express springs and Spring perch realignment brackets and adjustable rear track bar - all of which I installed today!

I am the worlds biggest Idiot!!! - what was I thinking tackling this job in the carpark @ Rundle st Mall (whilst the Mrs shopped).

1. whist Jeep is fully loaded and b4 jacking - attach spring compressors (it just makes it easier to compress them) and compress the cr@p out of them!

2. Remove lower shock mount bolt.

3. Jack up jeep remove tyre.

4. Optional - remove trackbar - i did just to make access easier

5. Remove already compressed spring.

5. If you are smart ( I wasn't lol ) use angle grinder to remove factory perch - if you are a complete moron (yes thats me lol) piddle away at them with a useless hacksaw! for 6 hours - then be so totally buggeredx that driving back to camp is near impossible LoL

6. bolt on new adjustable perches!

7. re install springs - (in may case compress new springs first).

8. put tyre back on

9. drop jack slowly and check the springs have centred perfectly.

10. re attach lower shocky mount bolt and re attach track bar

Enjoy the feeling of your new jeep - and your handiwork or what ever LoL
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Mud glorious mud

Went wheelin with the Sydney Jeep Club!
and I'm still cleaning mud out of everything LoL - I even had to clean mud out of my wallet (and it was in my jeans back pocket) at the time of my Humungously stupid decision to follow steve into a big muddy bog hole with only my bar doors to shield me- LoL

Good news - if anyone else is stupid enough to fill their JK with my mud.
1. the carpets all come out very easily you just need to make a 1cm cut in the carpet close to the driver and passenger front outside seat bolt and you can get all the carpets out without having to remove the seats (unlike other 4x4's)
2. There many floor drain holes just pop them out with a screw driver.
don't forget to pop out the bung hole in the area at the back where the Jack is stored and then just hose it all out - oh yeah - if anybody wants to know how to fix a mud clogged seat belt - just PM me
cheers Hunty

Post New Thread  Reply