Coming to Oz from Arizona, USA - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2024
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Drover is right, lot's of little towns run out of fuel or have limited opening hours for their servo's, so be prepared to go an extra few hundred k's for fuel. Carry plenty of water if off the neaten track along with food. If sticking to the blacktop, you will most likely see other traffic fairly regularly, but on the dirt (which there's a lot of here) you might not see another car for hours, or even days. We spent 3 days in Ngarkat and Big Desert in Victoria a few years back and only saw 1 other bloke the whole time and that was on one of the main tracks.
Old 14-02-2024
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Drover is right, lot's of little towns run out of fuel or have limited opening hours for their servo's, so be prepared to go an extra few hundred k's for fuel. Carry plenty of water if off the neaten track along with food. If sticking to the blacktop, you will most likely see other traffic fairly regularly, but on the dirt (which there's a lot of here) you might not see another car for hours, or even days. We spent 3 days in Ngarkat and Big Desert in Victoria a few years back and only saw 1 other bloke the whole time and that was on one of the main tracks.
Good info and it's aligned to what I was already kinda planning for.
The Jeep has a 20 gal tank (75L) and i expect will get about 18mpg (13L/100Km) loaded and pulling the trailer. I also have the ability to carry and additional 40L of fuel in two Jerrys. That should comfortably put my range around 750Km with some room to spare.

For water; the trailer has an onboard tank that is 150L and we have two additional collapsibles that carry an additional 40L. I also have a water purification filter and can filter fresh water sources in a pinch if needed.

Pics of Jeep with Jerrys on attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240211_150708.jpg (108.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20240211_150718.jpg (115.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 16-02-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

Looks the goods your rig, I would keep an eye on the Jerry can racks if you get on the corrugations they may shake things to bits.. spare fuel for 150km my bench mark when far out .....

Staying away from up North during the Wet season is wise, luckily that runs from like Nov to Mar and its too bluddy hot up there anyway, easy to get stranded anything from a few weeks to a couple of months and no amount of recovery gear other than an "Elvis" will help .... even when its Dry season you keep an eye on the weather, if it rains 500 miles away keep an eye on things as many a wash away has happened because a dry river has flooded as it rained a few hundred miles away, again why no camping in river beds, something you would also find over your way I expect...

North of the Tropic never camp by a river, always well back and off the ground or swim in one, things might bite you... and don't look for parts from a dealer of course....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 16-02-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 17-02-2024
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Looks the goods your rig, I would keep an eye on the Jerry can racks if you get on the corrugations they may shake things to bits.. spare fuel for 150km my bench mark when far out .....

Staying away from up North during the Wet season is wise, luckily that runs from like Nov to Mar and its too bluddy hot up there anyway, easy to get stranded anything from a few weeks to a couple of months and no amount of recovery gear other than an "Elvis" will help .... even when its Dry season you keep an eye on the weather, if it rains 500 miles away keep an eye on things as many a wash away has happened because a dry river has flooded as it rained a few hundred miles away, again why no camping in river beds, something you would also find over your way I expect...

North of the Tropic never camp by a river, always well back and off the ground or swim in one, things might bite you... and don't look for parts from a dealer of course....
Thanks for the feedback.
Our rough schedule will probably put us up in the Cape sometime around late June to early July.
This has been in part of our planning to not be in the northern part of the continent when it is summer there.
We arrive in Sydney May 3 and hope to be starting north within a week or so and give ourselves 6-8 weeks to get to the Cape.
Old 17-02-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2YanksAbroad View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Our rough schedule will probably put us up in the Cape sometime around late June to early July.
This has been in part of our planning to not be in the northern part of the continent when it is summer there.
We arrive in Sydney May 3 and hope to be starting north within a week or so and give ourselves 6-8 weeks to get to the Cape.
Just follow the line of Victorians escaping the winter, the southern Grey Nomad usually heads North for the Winter like birds.......lol,lol..... Grey Nomads being retired old coots usually dragging vans ......... flocks land in camp grounds and free camps and huddle around the toilet block...... Grey Nomad myself but off grid camping and don't huddle at all, we should be out west when you arrive here, no idea where as we just wander with a coin flip at a intersection sort of thing.

Going to be a great adventure for sure, since we are actually having a Wet this year it will be nice and green for a change

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 17-02-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,334 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
no idea where as we just wander with a coin flip at a intersection sort of thing.

Going to be a great adventure for sure, since we are actually having a Wet this year it will be nice and green for a change
Live/Drive by that theory nowadays...having spent 30+yrs doing Express Express both in family and working life across our Nation...a coin toss at an intersection is a bloody good method...some absolutely beeeeautiful rivers, towns, country roads, bakeries (cant hide a good pastry from an old fat man), Country Pubs ( a Counter Meal is a BIG suggestion for our US Travellers...if not only for the good value meal..then to meet some locals)....and.....I ALWAYS carry paper Maps....may relate to my old Mariner days...but...a sit down with an open Map when the minds relaxed and not focused on keeping the 'shiny side up' is...and has proved to be....a very enlightening feeling...each to their own...but I recommend the B, C and other minor roads between destinations...yep...it takes longer...yep it may not be a fantastically well maintained road (you can always slow down to suit the road conditions...jus sayin)...yep...it will add extra days to long journeys....but...it will add extra 'smiles per miles'....'fighting' with the now underskilled Heavy Vehicle Traffic on the National Freight Corridors doesnt make for 'comfortable' journeys...add the underskilled/over confident embeciles attempting to break the land speed record whilst being stuck behind the Heavy Vehicles...."I'll make it...watch this"....just isnt in my wheelhouse anymore.....take a look off the Main roads and the trip truely is an awesome adventure....point to piont Freeways are good for short term 'must be there by...' trips...for the rest....pull into a Pub...buy a Counter Meal....open a Map...have a chat with the locals putting forward your 'alternative' travel path....and simply....ENJOY !!!

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 19-02-2024
I just registered

drover, Far West,
Wandering Gray Nomads sounds about right for us.
We will have a bit of schedule to follow, and that will undoubtedly mean seeing our share of main highway, but there will be much intentional wandering and finding the less beaten path.

I still do love paper maps as well.
I have the Hema maps on my tablet and phone but plan to pick up some of the paper ones once we arrive. There is so much to be said for being able to see a map laid in in meter x meter size rather than scrolling a 3" phone screen or even 6"x9" tablet.
Post New Thread  Reply