WK2 Grand Cherokee 2011-2012-2013 V62 fuel pump/relay recall - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-01-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

Bob here's the fuel pressure info from my Workshop Manual ................

FUEL DELIVERY, DIESEL > SPECIFICATIONS > FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE - DIESEL:

The correct fuel pressure from the in-tank electric fuel pump to the high pressure injection pump for this vehicle is 4.0 bar (58.0 psi) and 6.0 bar (85.6 psi).
The correct flow rate for the in-tank electric fuel pump is approximately 53 gph (201 lph) at an ambient temperature of 73° F (23° C) and a constant battery voltage of 13 volts DC.

I assume thats 58psi low pressure line and 85 psi on the high pressure side.

I even had another search for the Diesel Fuel Pump relay and while mentioned once or twice I can't find the damn thing....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-01-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 574 Times in 295 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes I have considered the tipm. That’s what I meant when I wrote electrical not physical, as in the sensors are just doing what there told. No water when I changed the filters 400 kilometres ago

I am sure I read in my manual 58 psi petrol 85 psi diesel, I will try to find it again but these online manuals don’t index well and you are probably right and it is a fluctuation between static and engine running as mine was at 65 psi at idle and the pump shuts down at 85 psi. To test put ignition to run then get out and listen at rear passenger door, you will hear the pump run and then shut off after20 - 30 seconds. I presume it shouldn’t stop at all when car is running

The high pressure side is around 26,000 kpa at idle to 178,000 kpa full bore

Thanks for input guys
Bob
Old 20-01-2021
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Sorry Drover

The fuel relay was in the tipm but in the recall the wires in the tipm were cut and an external relay wired in and mounted just in front of the tipm box. Omron is the brand but I wouldn’t mind trying another brand if anyone has any suggestions
Bob
Old 20-01-2021
MonsterMoose

Omron is just a brand common in the US and nothing special............... my turn to be sorry, I was thinking fan relay, I have found the pump relay before just not easy to locate in the manual.
Been following @BJM to keep on top of events........................
Thankfully my 2015 is running sweet..........

Fuel line pressure for the 3.6lt/5.7lt petrol is (399kpa) 58 psi, + or - 2 psi , going by the manual....while diesel 58 psi(399kpa) and/to 85psi (586kpa). of course rail pressures would be higher by a zillion.

With ignition at run but no engine start the pump will run for 20-30 sec then stop as it primes, you can always tell if the pump is running with engine going ....

My calculator says your 26,000kpa is 3770 psi or have I missed something ?????

I have bookmarked this great link that appeared earlier on here....... https://www.verticalvisions.com/tipm...solutions.html which I know all have seen but it does bring it to the top again................

Old 20-01-2021
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Yep fuel rail pressure about right and at full bore 28,000 psi, if you have leak that sort of pressure will cut off fingers and even cut through metal. That’s why it’s recommended to replace fuel tubes every time although I know people have been successful reusing them if fitted in the same position. The fuel rail however can be reused and that’s why you can replace the sensors at the ends of them
For vertical visions to help I have to send my tipm to them as it has been butchered by that fuel relay recall
The annoying thing is it’s only a split second thing that happens then by restarting all runs good, sometimes for months, sometimes the next drive
Tan at All Grand Cherokee is helpful and I guess I will buy the proportion solenoid and pressure control valve of him and see what happens
Dealers are not much help, all they see customers as is cash cows,
Did I mention that I received no compensation for the gearbox rebuilds even though it started within warranty as I didn’t give them enough time to evaluate it. That happened because dealers didn’t record the concerns I raised continually when I took the car in and I just got sick of expensive no result situations
They still haven’t learnt consumers can vote with their feet
Toyota sold 4,099 land cruisers in Nov and Dec, most at nearly full price because of their perceived reliability and fca only managed nearly 6,000 vehicles in the year, that’s down from nearly 30,000 in 2014
But what really annoys me is it’s such a great vehicle to drive when it functions correctly
Apologies for the rant
Bob
Old 20-01-2021
MonsterMoose

Rant is rather tame considering Bob, I would be spewing big time...... I wonder if the pressure valve in the tank has a hick up sometimes, just one of many little things.... Have had trucks like that which drove me spare............ mechanics thought I was a nutcase until one day it did it to them in the yard...........dead, done, died, stuffed prefect display for them and something they said can't happen....

I will continue to watch and hope...

Old 20-01-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

My 2012 GC Overlander diesel in NZ is doing exactly the same thing.Will start for a couple of seconds then stop.Will not then start sometimes up to thirty seconds.Then no problems for weeks.Has cut out for a second while driving as well.The second recall for these was for faulty contacts on the replacement Omron relay.This was playing up also so the World wide safety recall was mandated in US.FCA still waiting for parts.! and its a safety recall !Any good auto electrician will be able to sell you another relay.Just get the specs off the Omron fron the net. The fuel pump relay is one of the hardest working in the vehicle.My bet its the relay again and or TIPM..However as my wife says ,you could be wrong !
Post New Thread  Reply