Poll: Lockers - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Which lockers will you get?
Front: ARB 5 8.77%
Front: Eaton eLocker 10 17.54%
Rear: ARB 26 45.61%
Rear: Eaton eLocker 6 10.53%
Front: Truetrac, Rear: Truetrac 2 3.51%
Front: Powertrax no-slip, Rear Truetrac 0 0%
Front: Aussie, Rear Truetrac 1 1.75%
Other: see my comment 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Assuming you already have a suspension lift and front sway bar disconnects in then I'd (and have ) go ARB rear locker. Simply if I only had one locker I want it on the stronger axle. I have both front and rear ARBs and tend to just use the rear unless both are needed (front will seriously affect steering). If you have both then the factory wiring harness will only allow you to turn your front on after the rear is on- make from this what you will.
Old 27-06-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Never again unless i'm absolutely desperate would i consider an Air Leaker.... if I never hear the sound of a continuously running compressor ( that's between compressor failures of course ) it will be too soon

Electric lockers have proved painless and reliable - something i never had with airleakers.

They are simple to install ( no plumbing ) and as I understand it about the same price.

No comparison... but i'm biased as i intentionall bought a Rubi and this was a BIG plus factor
Old 27-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
not really... you can trick the lockers and use them whenever you want (if you have the rubi).... in which case you have the d44 front and rear so im not to sure i understand what youre saying about the front being stronger... unless of course you mean the non-rubi models.....in which case the factory wiring goes out the window....

is there a reason you would choose a ARB over the eaton?
Yeah mine is the non Rubi so D30 in the front. ARB seem to be the prefered locker in a lot of the comp trucks. They are built tough, apart from the air line being their only weakness (snag, cut, leak). I haven't seen any head to head Eaton versus ARB locker comparisons. yes I was talking to the ARB locker wiring harness locking out the front until the back is engaged.
Old 27-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got a quote for a rear ARB locker + compressor today: $2080 installed. Ouch.

Seems like Eaton took short cuts with their D44 lockers, pity cause if I install one myself, I'd rather not do an ARB:

"The Eaton ELocker is right up there with ARB with their Dana 30 (and 35) model, but the ELocker has an advantage due to its 12V actuation. Eaton claims that testing has shown the ELocker to be equal to ARB in strength and ease of actuation. The other ELocker models (e.g. Dana 44 & Dana 60) have a less desirable 2-pinion design that is much weaker than their comparable ARB. Their actuation, while also 12V, is different than the Dana 30 and 35 versions and not as reliable. The Eaton ELocker has similarities to the GKN produced Tru Lok differential that is standard equipment with the JK Rubicon package"

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101

Cheers
Old 27-06-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

There's a number of ways to "over-ride" the standard interlocks on a Rubi. Whilst from Jeeps legal liability perspective the standard logic makes sense, i've found that for MY particular application full manual over-ride is very occaisionally better.

The simplest approach is to force the relays on by hard wiring - works but can be improved on if you care to add a bit more logic to the system. Obviously the factory ECU is going to consider these "forced" conditions an error and generate appropriate fault indications.

So wehter you do it the simple or more complex way you get full manual control.

I actually very rarely use the overirdes - the only occaision the factory logic really frustrated me was beach driving and sand dune blasting where the speed and range logic were a PITA. Otherwise IMO its pretty good.

And on Air Leakers as others have already indicated its a reliability issue - or lack there off that turns me off. Those internal "seals" on a common brand just arent relaible enough. There is a competitors air locker that runs an air cylinder that doesn't involve a rotating air coupling that seems a mch better idea.
Old 27-06-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Yeah mine is the non Rubi so D30 in the front. ARB seem to be the prefered locker in a lot of the comp trucks. They are built tough, apart from the air line being their only weakness (snag, cut, leak). I haven't seen any head to head Eaton versus ARB locker comparisons. yes I was talking to the ARB locker wiring harness locking out the front until the back is engaged.
they are built pretty tuff but not sure that the airline is its only weakness. The fact they have moving parts when not in use is a wear and tear concern also.
Personally i have had no issues either the eaton and find it just as effective if not simplier than when i had the ARB's in my old TJ
Old 27-06-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i use detriot rear locker now. can just wheel without worrying about it, still road friendly. but does clunk every now and then.

offroad, its awesome, best locker for offroad wheeling.
i do run a ARB up front, which hasnt had any dramas (so far ;D)
Post New Thread  Reply