JK Wheels on camper trailer - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Brian. I am just about to fit my original rims on my trailer. It requires custom drilled hubs which alko are happy to supply. I have still to check on the hub diameter as this may dictate whether I go for Ford or Holden bearings in the hub. When I get my finger out I will let you know how it goes.
Old 14-09-2014
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Brian. I am just about to fit my original rims on my trailer. It requires custom drilled hubs which alko are happy to supply. I have still to check on the hub diameter as this may dictate whether I go for Ford or Holden bearings in the hub. When I get my finger out I will let you know how it goes.
Brilliant! Thanks mate. I know so little about this stuff and would love to be able to do it.
Old 14-09-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I know I have seen a thread here somewhere about this but I can't seem to find it.

I have a camper trailer with a wheel track that is only 5mm off my JK.

My tent needs the trailer to sit a few cms higher to get things set up firmly so I figure I can kill a whole flock of birds with one stone by modifying the trailer to suit standard JK wheels.

I would then be carrying 2 spares that matched jeep and trailer, have virtually the same wheel track and a firm tent

Mechanics and engineering are not my things ... I am fine with electronics but that's about it.

So ... I understand that I will need to change the hubs on the trailer.

Apparently, Jeep hubs are had to come by?

I read somewhere that you can get blank hubs and have them drilled to suit 5x5 stud pattern ... is that all that needs to be done?
I have a pop up camper that has XJ wheels fitted. It needed spacers to make it work. I have had no problems with them.
Its interesting to read of all these claims of being illegal, yet there is no reference to any ADR or similar concerning it.
If you have the same stud pattern as an XJ, just get standard ford stud pattern hubs. They are cheap as.
If you have standard leaf springs on your trailer, make sure you have the axle below the leaf, this may gain you an inch or 2. Its important to have a load distribution plate between the axle & the leaf.
The hub central comment is important for drive wheels on your jeep. Not the case for a trailer. You are far more likely to loose a wheel from a failed bearing than from a spacer problem. Tight nuts is important.
Old 21-09-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

I would NEVER recommend running LM(Holden) bearings on an off road trailer. I've replaced too many axles with bent stubs to even think of doing it. SL(Ford) is minimum with ESS (parallel Ford inners) being my preferred choice.
Old 21-09-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

My CUB offroad camper has had 1 replacement set of bearings in 20 years, and then only becquse I am fussy about getting bearings out before they deteriorate to the stage where you might have problems. Still no issues with the axle either.
It is a fairly light unit so remember that it is all relevant to application.
Old 22-09-2014
Full Flexer

Bent stubs are usually caused by excessive unsprung weight (bigger than factory fitted wheels)& not driving to conditions as opposed to a lack of maintenance. I'm glad you change your bearings every 20 years or so, but that was not the point I was raising.
Old 22-09-2014
Full Flexer

Hey Brian, If you want to fit JK wheels to your trailer, that's a sensible move provided a few issues are addressed. if the JK wheels have a deeper BSS, then a longer axle will be required. Alko will drill blank hubs to suit. most common hubs will take LM or SL bearings.The bearing combination is dictated by the axle. I will give you an axle measurement formula to assist with the project. Measure the trailer chassis/tub inside the mudguards then add the BSS of the wheels. tyre clearance should be between 30 & 50mm each side. For example... if the tub was 1200mm wide & the BSS was 150mm each wheel & the required clearance was 50mm each side, you would have an axle length of 1600mm HUB TO HUB. If your axle supplier want overall length, LM & SL bearings add 50mm per side meaning 1700mm TIP TO TIP. If you need a new axle based on the formula, go SL on a 45mmSQ axle minimum.
Post New Thread  Reply