Future Jeeps for 2017 - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Agreed on the poor IC engines. But it needn't be that way - the Toyota 450h has a 3.4 litre V6 mated to its hybrid power train.

Agreed. I really like the idea of independent drive. Hey, it was good enough for the most off-road vehicle of all time - the moon rover!
the diesel run trains are electric , the diesel is for the generators to create the electric power
Old 02-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
the diesel run trains are electric , the diesel is for the generators to create the electric power
Trains, electric cranes and electric haul trucks etc are not the same thing as a hybrid system. They simply use an electric drive train as an alternative.
Old 02-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I don't know why we don't focus on Hydrogen powered cars. Easy to obtain, no emissions and good enough for NASA to use in Rocket fuel. The most plentiful resource at our fingertips and a 200 year old technology.
But where to get the energy to make hydrogen? Solar is the obvious choice but I imagine there will be energy losses along the way. Might as well use a battery. So fewer moving parts and less complexity. Hydrogen is also very dangerous and not great to carry in something that may crash. The tanks themselves will be heavy.

I think a standardised size battery that can be quickly swapped out at a fuel station is the way to go. Kind of like swap and go gas bottles. This way the expensive part of dealing with old batteries falls on a large company with the resources to deal with it. Of course the consumer ends up paying for it but they aren't getting hit with an unexpected 5-10k bill.
Old 02-02-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
But where to get the energy to make hydrogen? Solar is the obvious choice but I imagine there will be energy losses along the way. Might as well use a battery. So fewer moving parts and less complexity. Hydrogen is also very dangerous and not great to carry in something that may crash. The tanks themselves will be heavy.

I think a standardised size battery that can be quickly swapped out at a fuel station is the way to go. Kind of like swap and go gas bottles. This way the expensive part of dealing with old batteries falls on a large company with the resources to deal with it. Of course the consumer ends up paying for it but they aren't getting hit with an unexpected 5-10k bill.
When the electrical engineers of the world get their act together & come up with a practical reliable system, the public will decide. At the moment after 20 years of experimentation they dont have sensors that are reliable enough in an automotive environment so what hope do they have with a complete power train.
Old 02-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Who's saying it isn't reliable already? I don't see massive issues with any of the current hybrid vehicles. Sure there has been a few battery issues but if dealt with as a rental there is next to no problems for the consumer. 4wds obviously require more thought. I saw a Tesla with no body on it recently. The motor is completely sealed. Sure this is completely electric and not a hybrid but similar idea/issues. It's not like current 4wds are all that water and dirt resistant, comparing a modern traditional 4wd to a modern hybrid I don't really see there bring a great deal more problems.
Old 02-02-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
Who's saying it isn't reliable already? I don't see massive issues with any of the current hybrid vehicles. Sure there has been a few battery issues but if dealt with as a rental there is next to no problems for the consumer. 4wds obviously require more thought. I saw a Tesla with no body on it recently. The motor is completely sealed. Sure this is completely electric and not a hybrid but similar idea/issues. It's not like current 4wds are all that water and dirt resistant, comparing a modern traditional 4wd to a modern hybrid I don't really see there bring a great deal more problems.
Well, until we clear our workshop of the countless electrical and electronic faults we are faced with each day, and I can analyze some reports from people, using hybrid vehicles, who have completed the Gun Barrel or CSR etc, I will reserve my comments.
I admit though that they seem to work OK in shopping centres as long as they can negotiate the speed humps!
Old 02-02-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza D View Post
Trains, electric cranes and electric haul trucks etc are not the same thing as a hybrid system. They simply use an electric drive train as an alternative.
and the electric drives are run by generators , BIG huge things , including the earth moving trucks where the generator hides in the centre of the diff , if I remember correctly.
as for the hybreed cars , and you have one cell go , expect to pay BIG .
but if you live in japan or Singapore , and you yip yap yuppie "look at me" then go for it , if you live in Australia where even the tar roads are as rough as
GOOD LUCK to that . LoL maybe one day someone will invent one that runs on the aftermath of beer. they could call it "the wizzer"
Post New Thread  Reply