JKU CRD payload? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES of a 200 series Land cruiser

Weights

Standard

- Kerb weight (kg) 2740
- Gross vehicle mass (kg) 3350
- Tare weight (kg) 2465
- Gross trailer weight braked (kg) 3500
- Gross trailer weight unbraked (kg) 750

So can a 200 series can only carry 610kg payload
Old 09-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx steve View Post
So can a 200 series can only carry 610kg payload
I've been looking into this over the last few weeks as I'm looking for a 4WD that can tow a van which I expect to be around 3T with a ball weight of around 250kg. It's certainly been an eye opener when you start to look into it.

Of all of the main wagons, the new Patrol has the highest payload (close to 800Kg). All of the others (JGC, Disco, 200 Series) are generally between 600kg & 700kg (model dependant). When you start running the numbers that's just not enough if you need your 4WD to be a jack of all trades. For grey nomads who have no kids and no intention of going off road so don't need bull bars, sliders etc it's not too bad, but if you want to use your 4WD off road and add bull bars, sliders, bash plates (in some cases), with family and possibly a fridge in the back then in most cases you're already overloaded once you start towing. The same would be said if you were packing for a solo (i.e. no caravan) camping trip. You can take the load, the family, or the accessories, possibly 2 of the 3, but certainly not all 3.

The only vehicles I see that can do it are utes. Looking at the Ranger and they have 900-1000kg payload (model dependant) which is better, but again, once you start running the numbers even that doesn't leave a lot in reserve when packed up with the family. Landcruiser ute has higher load ratings but I don't want to pay that much and don't want a manual.

So when you compare the JK with a 400kg payload it certainly means that (at least legally) they are a weekend trip type vehicle only and aren't suitable for bigger trips. That's not to say that they're not physically capable of it (as I'm sure they are) but I'm just commenting in a legal sense. The family can account for half of that payload. Bar and side steps another 100kg (even without a winch). Bigger tyres and a new rear bar and you're at the max already without packing the fridge, the food, the recovery gear, tools, roof rack, awning, second spare, extra fuel,..........and everything else that we'd potentially pack on/in the vehicle for an extended trip. And if you want to tow a trailer then you basically can't pack anything inside the JK at all. The family, the trailer (obviously a smaller trailer and not the 3T van I mentioned before) and maybe a bull bar and side steps and you're loaded to the max.

It's certainly been interesting looking into this and makes you realise that a lot of the guys you see touring with a full compliment of bar work, roof racks loaded 2 feet high with stuff and the insides stuffed full with everything else (with or without vans in tow) must be overloaded, and not just by a little bit.
Old 09-11-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks EasyDoesIt, that sounds right.

There was an interesting article in the Unsealed 4x4 mag recently, if people are unsure about all the terminology or just want some further reading, I found it quite useful:
http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue0...+-+Send+002#53

The other week I loaded around 500-600kg of bathroom tiles into the back of my JKU and you really felt it. I probably wouldn't want to carry anymore than that even if it was legal! I could imagine with a bit more weight it would become a bit wild. The JKU drove better towing my jayco freedom outback (~1.6T, ball weight ~160kg) with some gear loaded in the back (tools, spares, small amount of camping gear) + the car fridge than having the tiles in the back. So i think you just need to be smart and balance your weight - not overloading the jeep's payload and having weight in your camper/caravan/trailer when travelling, and towing something appropriately sized for the JKU by sticking under it's braked towing capacity.

Last edited by Purds; 09-11-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

It's almost like vehicles aren't fit for purpose. Imagine a lc200 in an arb catalogue. You would be overweight with 2 passengers and no cargo.

A jk Could quite easily be overweight with no cargo. I read somewhere that the jk was designed for a much higher payload but was massively reduced because the suspension was set up for comfort. Don't believe everything you read on the internet though...

I believe a jk with properly set up suspension would handle perfectly fine. Long term I am not sure how well it would go with wear and tear though.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purds View Post
The other week I loaded around 500-600kg of bathroom tiles into the back of my JKU and you really felt it. I probably wouldn't want to carry anymore than that even if it was legal! I could imagine with a bit more weight it would become a bit wild. The JKU drove better towing my jayco freedom outback (~1.6T, ball weight ~160kg) with some gear loaded in the back (tools, spares, small amount of camping gear) + the car fridge than having the tiles in the back. So i think you just need to be smart and balance your weight - not overloading the jeep's payload and having weight in your camper/caravan/trailer when travelling, and towing something appropriately sized for the JKU by sticking under it's braked towing capacity.
My JKU drives better with load of camping gear in it. The ride is better. The auto box changes better. Feels much more stable. Never tried 600kg of tiles though!
I've just done 4000km towing a 1.2T Cub camper and the JK felt great towing that. I'd like to get a tranny cooler fitted which will help the sometimes high temperatures but it towed great. My only slight gripe is the gear ratios. It could do with a ratio between 2nd and 3rd. At 70-80km/hr if you hit a hill 3rd is too tall (when you're trying to keep the TC locked up) but 2nd is too short and gets the revs too high. Other than that it towed really well.
Old 09-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
It's almost like vehicles aren't fit for purpose. Imagine a lc200 in an arb catalogue. You would be overweight with 2 passengers and no cargo.
That was the conclusion I was coming to.

I was set on a JGC but then realised that I'd struggle to fit anything in once I added some bar work and hooked a van up. I then looked at the Disco as it's one of the cars always compared to the JGC. Even more power & torque, great. Bit heavier so more stable with a van on the back perhaps, all good. Bit more expensive so will have to save for a bit longer. Way more load space (I've owned apartments that felt smaller than that). GCM? More than the JGC. Payload? Even less the the JGC! Go figure.

I think it's getting to the point where if you want to kit your 4WD out properly for remote outback travel, or want to tow a good size load but want bar work etc as well, you have to look at vehicles that can have a GVM upgrade (as far as I know that's not possible on JGC & Disco).

Also looked at the 200 series but I can't bring myself to pay that sort of $. Even more so as the internal styling is bloody awful (as it is in the playdo, new hilux and the fortuner...........they really need to sack their internal design team!).
Old 09-11-2015
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

kitting vehicles out for even mild off road use with hundreds of kilograms of shit is only required now that 4WDs are collectively soft roaders.
Post New Thread  Reply