Thinking of buying a 2005 WK Diesel for the daughter - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

That’s a great write up, and lays to rest a lot of concerns.

All the problems I found here.. https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=175 are mentioned, and they are easy fixes.

I am leaning towards a 2005/6 Merc 3.0 Grand.
Might not be the one I’m looking at when I get home next week, but will most probably be this model

I would rather the daughter have a bigger comfier car for safety reasons. Economy and reliability sounds ok, and they look great.

I’m still open to thoughts. Do they suffer the classic left pull?

I heard they had a software update years ago, and this affected 4 Lo. Most of the problems are probably sorted by now.

Cheers,
Old 12-11-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
Hasn't there been more than few complaints of bearing failure in that engine?
A bit of clarification:
- There was no 4.0 on the WK/WH. The car in the first post is a WH
- The WH/WK has a 3.0 Mercedes diesel. It's the 3.0 VM diesel from the WK2 that has bearing issues.
Old 13-11-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Do they suffer the classic left pull?
* No they don't but they have a very soft ride on original shocks

I heard they had a software update years ago, and this affected 4 Lo.
* Yes the N23 debacle, If the recall hasn't been done then no problem, BUT if it has been done (and stuffed up like 99% were) then you need to check that 4L0 works, if it doesn't then it needs to be re-done the correct way to solve the issue (the correct procedure is in the N23 thread).
This can either be used as a bargaining chip for a lower price or get a guarantee from the dealer that it will be fixed properly before purchase.
Old 13-11-2020
AJOR Gold

The deal is done.
I’m away, so my mate took it for spin and checked it out.
He has the C300 and is a mechanic.

Said it drove great. No pull, good suspension, engine purred, car drove great. Body and paint good. A few stone chips in wind shield.

Auto good, brakes great..no shimmy, Interior good. Said it was generally a well kept genuine country car. Aircon good, tyres great, cooling system fine.

Two sets of keys, log books, receipts and service history.

Has side steps, tow bar, nudge bar, wind deflectors, cb radio.

Dealer spent $500 on sensors with receipts. No engine lights.
Rear seatbelt chewed by his dog..getting fixed by dealer.

Ok....it’s a Jeep, so there’s always a few things to sort.

The ABS/traction control light stays on, but brakes are fine.. Sensor?
Clunk when decelerating from front end.. Bushes, drive shaft?
Yes, it has the 4WD Low problem.

And that’s it. I can’t thoroughly check car til I get back from working away... but it gives me time to ask questions, read these forums and get my head around it.

My boy just got accepted for a two year pre apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic, so he can start learning straight away...

Pics coming...
Old 13-11-2020
AJOR Gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-11-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts

Hi Alex.
That looks a really nice jeep considering 15 years old.

Obviously rust is not an issue for you with your climate.

The Engine as a unit does seem pretty solid. Loads of taxis and vans in Europe with space ship mileages. I think the key as in most things is maintenance. I have read that a poor oil change regime can lead to timing chain stretch.

If you are competent with the spanners you will be fine.

I note it is a 'laredo'. I am not sure we had those in UK. I think the lowest spec was 'limited'. Does it have quadra drive 2?

Check to see if the Jeep has the latest software update for the transfer case not selecting 4 low. It was called P73. Any Jeep dealer will have it on record. If not then get them to do it. Failing that it may need a new switch motor.

There are various other fixes on you tube such as pulling fuses you could try for free.

Great practice car for your boy

Brit.

Last edited by Brit30-06; 13-11-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 13-11-2020
AJOR Gold

Thanks Brit,

Yep, it’s the Laredo spec, but I prefer the cloth seats over leather.
It does have the Quadra drive. I went online and typed in the vin. It’s had 73, 57, 28, 41 and is currently up to date.

Mate reckons there was no service 4WD message, but whatever comes up when you select 4lo would come up, then disappear. He said it didn’t feel like it went into 4lo.

This model was the navigator that came with built in sat nav..

Cheers,