Plastic Transmission Drain Plug leaking - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,157 Times in 612 Posts

That sounds pretty good, I paid $660.00 for the last service I had done on the ZF auto in the previous Jeep about 16 months ago.

That little transmission nuetraliser lever thingy under the console lid...very handy I can tell you when you have to turn the engine off while you are still parked in a creek with water coming in!

It is one of the things I hate about this electronic transmission shifter...the moment the ignition is turned off the transmission slams itself in to Park and there is no moving it...or opening the door for that matter does the same thing.
Trick is with that, if you want to move the Jeep with the driver door open, connect the seat belt and sit on it...the computer brain think you are still strapped in and allow you to open the door without slamming in to Park.

I have heard of Jeeps being skull dragged on to tilt trays as they did not know about the lever to nuetralise the tranny...
Old 18-04-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
The Nulon stuff is "Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid Low Viscosity", specced as Lifegard 6, they use it in all ZF boxes. $65 for 4 lts at Supercheap, easier to link a page than throw a pic up.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/613495.html

With the Grand dead in the shed I just pulled the handle in the centre console, you open the lid remove the cover around the hinge underneath you see a little handle with orange strap taped down on it, in the handle there's a little catch which you flick to unlock with a small screw driver then lift the handle by the strap, it opens about 50 deg, the gearbox is out of park and the towy can winch the thing onto the tray, you don't want the lid to fall closed as it may damage the lever , you just reverse the procedure to get it all back to normal... its in the glove box book.
Cheers mate, yeah I've read about it, but until you or someone you know has physically done it, its all jibba, sounds like a straight forward operation, thanks champ
Old 18-04-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 301 Times in 188 Posts

Mines booked in for Thursday so will report back on my whether my plug is broken. When I knipped mine up once, it basically went full circle and loose again. I then got another 1/4 turn out of it and it went tight again. I like that metal pan is a good place to be but it is expensive. Shipping is about $160 also which is a bit of a killer.

MY last service cost $140 for pan, 8L of BMV cost $120 (didn't need that much in end) and think $160 labour from memory. This time pan only cost me $70 and got 4L of BMV so will see how much the labour comes back this time.

Last edited by GCDingo; 18-04-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 18-04-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Mines booked in for Thursday so will report back on my whether my plug is broken. When I knipped mine up once, it basically went full circle and loose again. I then got another 1/4 turn out of it and it went tight again. I like that metal pan is a good place to be but it is expensive. Shipping is about $160 also which is a bit of a killer.

MY last service cost $140 for pan, 8L of BMV cost $120 (didn't need that much in end) and think $160 labour from memory. This time pan only cost me $70 and got 4L of BMV so will see how much the labour comes back this time.
Labour will be roughly the same.... $160/hr workshop rate...first hour is part there of...or to put it simply....you get charged 1x hr of labour/workshop hire as a minimum..... $160 isnt to bad.... $180+ is very common

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 18-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,967 Times in 2,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post

Mine got the whole 8lts changed, so its all fresh this time around and I must say after another blat around the place this morning I like this Nulon stuff, very smooth from a start off temp of 27 all the way to 88 smooth as silk.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-04-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

Happy for ya mate....ENJOY the 'adventure'

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 18-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,967 Times in 2,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Happy for ya mate....ENJOY the 'adventure'
Well I have a full tank of fuel which will get me to Texas, lie doggo there until Anzac Day, will have some money in bank again then so can refuel and do another leg of the tour or just run for home...... might collect cans by the roadside to cash in for some pin money....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply