towing questions - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just returned from a 11,000klm trip from Toowoomba to Lake Eyre, Woomera, Norseman, Albany and home again. My CRD Unlimited auto has to be the best tourer I have owned. On the highway I averaged 11.5l/100klm, while in 4WD, slogging through bull dust and sand the economy dropped to 13.5l/100klm. These figures are from the trip computer, so reality may be a little either way.
Here's a shot of my toys from a campertrailer website.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/
Old 09-06-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate your comments Rooster, what is the weight of your camper trailer, mine weighs in at 1640kgs and growing.
Old 09-06-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Snowyx5 - I've never weighed it fully loaded! I'm not too sure that I want to -but it is frigging heavy.
As billie mentioned above, I wouldn't even consider towing it with a v6 petrol - not enough torque.
I got my diesel chipped, and it pumps out 30% more torque over stock - according to the dyno anyway. The M/Benz 5 speed auto is perfectly mated to the VM motor - it's excellent offroad unit and a bloody great towing / touring vehicle. This is my 3rd Jeep, and easily the best to date!
Old 10-06-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tow a small caravan behind my CRD unlimited (6 Speed manual) I have found this to be the best tow vehicle for power and economy to date. Previously I had the new Hilux D4D Diesel but it lacked the power and was thirsty.

In the JK I tow in 5th at 100kph (2400Rpm) with ease and get 11 to 12 Lt per 100.

I have fitted weight distribution bars to help with the weight but more so to even out and settle the ride.

Half the K's my JK has racked up have been with the c/van in tow. Only other thing I did was change the diff oil to 80/140W full synthetic to help it out with the weight.

I do have the off-road group/pack fitted, this has the 3.73 diffs, I think this is what makes a big difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000261.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	33395  
Old 10-06-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
I tow a small caravan behind my CRD unlimited (6 Speed manual) I have found this to be the best tow vehicle for power and economy to date. Previously I had the new Hilux D4D Diesel but it lacked the power and was thirsty.

In the JK I tow in 5th at 100kph (2400Rpm) with ease and get 11 to 12 Lt per 100.

I have fitted weight distribution bars to help with the weight but more so to even out and settle the ride.

Half the K's my JK has racked up have been with the c/van in tow. Only other thing I did was change the diff oil to 80/140W full synthetic to help it out with the weight.

I do have the off-road group/pack fitted, this has the 3.73 diffs, I think this is what makes a big difference

Nice van i'm modding an old poptop at the moment to be similar to that
Old 10-06-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyx5 View Post
Hi billie, thanks for the advice, what weight were you towing? How did you find the fuel consumption while towing. Do you think the auto trans would be better? , more torque with the diesel.Any other advice welcome,problems ? reliability etc.
The trailer weight that I tow is about 1 ton total, on the open road I get 11 litres per 100 kays. I think the auto might be better because of the different diff ratios but still test drive one just to be on the safe side. Another thing that seems useless on my jeep is the traction control, when you need to get momentum up a slippery mud or sand track the traction control cuts power and starts braking spinning wheels.The end result is all your mates passing you by laughing at what a piece of rubbish the so called off road wrangler is. My advice to you is to by a FWD with a traction control on off button and low ratio gearing.
Old 10-06-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice looking setup Brett b, is that a goldstream rv? i have a goldstream crown offroad shower ,toilet model, its fantastic on the river tracks we spend time on, do you know your camper weight?.
Post New Thread  Reply