TJ - Gen 3 5.7ltr with D44 and D60 - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the support. The only down side of this project is going to be the drive across the the Jeep muster next year!

So a bit more info...

Yep, the build is happening in Perth

Timeframe: I would expect to be another few months. It could have been a little earlier as we initially intended to stick with the standard diffs and do the upgrade as “Stage 2” once the engine was complete. We only decided to do the diffs about two – three weeks ago which means ratios, install kits, lockers and all the externals parts, spring perches, upper and lower control mounts etc need to be ordered and shipped. The easy part was finding the diffs but that’s a direct result of talking to Brian. For a build like this, you need a good team of people!

The person who gave me the idea regarding the diffs was Wooders, who even though is extremely busy, gave his time and was a great help in getting over a few hurdles. (Wooders, I hope you recognize the side steps which I now class as collectors items!)

I’m not putting a timeframe on it as this stage, and it’s probably too early to estimate with accuracy, rather we are just letting the work follow a natural progression. When I teamed up with Rodge to get this project started, my only direction was that it needed to be done properly (which is the only way he will have) so if we need to wait for some part to arrive, or we need to drive to Albany to have a MAFless tune and the torque curves reprogrammed, then that’s what needs to be done. But rest assured all the parts are ordered, and until it’s finished it’s taking up room in his garage so it’s definitely sooner rather than later.

Pre-build Permit: In W.A. there are minor modifications that can be completed without a permit. A few include:
• Additional Lighting
• Alarm Systems
• Roof Racks
• Stereo Systems
• Sun visors etc

You can also change the tyre size and aspect ratio within certain guide lines.

Anything else needs to be approved. The pre-approval systems ensures that the intended modifications, if done correctly, fall within necessary criteria, namely:
• The modification doesn’t reduce the strength of the vehicle body;
• The modification doesn’t reduce the controllability of the vehicle; and
• The modification doesn’t reduce the safety of the vehicle.

My intended modifications have been assessed by DPI to fall within the capability of the vehicle and the strength of the chassis and the long arm kit was assessed (on paper) to improve handling (anybody who has one can probably attest to this). In order to be approved, an engineer will assess each modification against a set of pre determined criteria. As part of his assessment he will calculate if a handling test is required (lane change test or similar) to ensure suitability which is subsequently submitted to DPI as you go over the pit’s where they inspect your workmanship and adherence to the National Codes of Practice. Then once you have done all that, you get a letter confirming your approval which you keep in the glove box to show anyone who questions your modifications legality.

This is a very onerous process to follow, but I’m going through this for a couple of reasons
1. I don’t want to do all this work to get a yellow sticker and then try to get it registered retrospectively. This would be a complete nightmare;
2. I want it insured;
3. I want to keep this baby for as long as I possibly can; and most importantly
4. This process will actually ensure the projects safety. Whilst it will be cool to have a V8 under the bonnet, nobody wants to be driving around a death trap.

But bottom line...it will be cool.

Cheers
Old 05-06-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

How much did the engine cost? (in the condition it came from the wreckers)

Cool project.

Dave

Semper scandere. Frater, an attollere?
Old 05-06-2009
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-TJ View Post
Some more info on the Permit side of things .

Is it only WA that you have to get a pre build permit ??
no, NT has the same process, you put an application to modify a vehicle in before you do it, so you dont blow thousands and then not able to register your car... make sense really...
Old 05-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice build mate will be a ball tearer for sure. If you are in Perth there are a few awesome Gen 3 tunners around. Dan from chipmaster has been perfecting the art of maf and mafless tunes on the gen v8's for years.
Old 27-06-2009
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Updates ?
Old 28-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Wow can’t believe I have missed this up till now….
Looks like there will be two ls1 power TJ running across the Nullabour next year to the muster...
Im doing the diffs first (d44,d60) then the V8 next year though. Are you not going to run aircon by choice orare you not allowed to notch the frame? Even if you strengthen and brace it?

Which radiator are you going to run, novak or other?

Also are you going to narrow the diffs? Are the engineers giving you a hard time about this?

Which engineer are you going to use?

Sorry bout all the questions, just in the planning stages my self. Thanks
Old 28-06-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Next time i'm up that way i'll have to drop in and have a perv on this thing. I remember seeing Rodge sizing the engine up in Tigger but it's going to be seriously awsome. And Rodges workmanship is so neat chances are the things going to look like factory anyway.

We're actually pretty lucky in W.A. with having Rodge and Brian on hand for advice and work and Wooders always so willing to talk over the phone and throw gear on a plane for us. It's really the main reason i bought another Jeep as all these guys were so good to me in the past.

Ben