Death wobbling piece of s#$t - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJK View Post
The Wheel speed sensors on the JK are crap guys, cheap and are not a fan of fine metallic dust or dirt build up, Easy fix on Trail if ESP is activating intermitantly when it is not surposed to, is do the ESP Kill mod, or simply disconnect a Wheel speed sensor Plug <- this will pull an Open circuit fault in the ESP control unit and disable it. No wheel speed signal on any individual wheel will disable it, keep in mind thats ABS, Traction and the lot Off. it's an easy get out of jail free card.
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me
Old 02-08-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

The ESP uses ABS to apply brakes so you could always pull ABS fuse to disable if neccessary.
Old 02-08-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
The ESP uses ABS to apply brakes so you could always pull ABS fuse to disable if neccessary.
True, JK is a little different electrically. The ATE pump is an ESP unit, ABS is a function within ESP aswell as Traction control etc. Pulling Fuse will also work as your car wont start let alone run, as previously mentioned it shares the fuel pump fuse.

best Un-hijack thread
Old 02-08-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Ring T.W at USA4X4 hes the JK front-end expert.
9587 2244 (03)

Is THUNK a word?
Thanks for the constructive feedback. Now that I've calmed down a little bit (havent driven the car all weekend), I'll explain all that I've been told about this JK problem.

This actually started with T.W. I called in there a few months ago to grab some parts. Out of interest he asked me what k's had the car done and did I have death wobble yet. I said no, and he said "wait for it, it's coming".

Well damn it he was 100% right. Few weeks after that I started to notice a little wobble that fairly quickly developed into the undrivable 4wd that it currently is.

So I got in contact with him to ask the solution, and he informed me there isnt one! He told me he has tried everything possible on a number of JK's with the same problem, adjustments, back to stock wheels and components etc and NOTHING has worked. People... this problem is happening to stock as a rock JK's and lift/mods is not what it's about. He told me theres nothing that either he or Jeep can sell me or do to the car to fix it, and that I need to go straight to Jeep and lodge an official complaint. Tony also mentioned one person with the problem he knew actually returned their Jeep for a refund because the dw is currently not fixable. I was amazed.

An hour later I rocked into my Jeep service department and walked up to the service manager saying "I need to lodge a complaint about our JK Wrangler" he replied "Is it in the steering?"

So we went through their reporting system for serious complaints and he sent an email with our description of the problem direct to Chrysler. Early in the convo he told me there is absolutely nothing they can do to cure or eleviate the problem. Apparently, initially Chrysler instructed them to try adjusting or replacing various things. But after a recent point in time they told the dealers to stop as they were taking over the problem from there. Not once did he even ask if I had a lift or if I had tried getting a alignment etc. He said Chrysler were more than well aware of the problem and they were currently liasing with their counterparts in the US to solve it. I was the fifth JK owner to report serious dw at their dealership.

It's somewhat reassuring to hear people offer solutions here. But from what I have been told by Jeep experts I can only presume they will be done in vain?

I've spent a lot of money on this near new vehicle to find it now has an apparently 'unfixable' serious problem. I think it's justifyable that I'm a little upset.

I'm probably way off the mark, but after experiencing this dw many times now, and hearing they cant cure it with syspension adjustments, I'm thinking it may be in the chassis. Kenworth had a similar problem few years ago in one of their models of trucks.

Has anyone else heard the story told like this?
Old 02-08-2009
SwampDigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJK View Post
True, JK is a little different electrically. The ATE pump is an ESP unit, ABS is a function within ESP aswell as Traction control etc. Pulling Fuse will also work as your car wont start let alone run, as previously mentioned it shares the fuel pump fuse.

best Un-hijack thread
Dont you have a separate large fuse under the bonnet specifically for the ABS pump?
Old 02-08-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many Ks has it done?
Old 02-08-2009
SwampDigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.. View Post
Thanks for the constructive feedback. Now that I've calmed down a little bit (havent driven the car all weekend), I'll explain all that I've been told about this JK problem.

This actually started with T.W. I called in there a few months ago to grab some parts. Out of interest he asked me what k's had the car done and did I have death wobble yet. I said no, and he said "wait for it, it's coming".

Well damn it he was 100% right. Few weeks after that I started to notice a little wobble that fairly quickly developed into the undrivable 4wd that it currently is.

So I got in contact with him to ask the solution, and he informed me there isnt one! He told me he has tried everything possible on a number of JK's with the same problem, adjustments, back to stock wheels and components etc and NOTHING has worked. People... this problem is happening to stock as a rock JK's and lift/mods is not what it's about. He told me theres nothing that either he or Jeep can sell me or do to the car to fix it, and that I need to go straight to Jeep and lodge an official complaint. Tony also mentioned one person with the problem he knew actually returned their Jeep for a refund because the dw is currently not fixable. I was amazed.

An hour later I rocked into my Jeep service department and walked up to the service manager saying "I need to lodge a complaint about our JK Wrangler" he replied "Is it in the steering?"

So we went through their reporting system for serious complaints and he sent an email with our description of the problem direct to Chrysler. Early in the convo he told me there is absolutely nothing they can do to cure or eleviate the problem. Apparently, initially Chrysler instructed them to try adjusting or replacing various things. But after a recent point in time they told the dealers to stop as they were taking over the problem from there. Not once did he even ask if I had a lift or if I had tried getting a alignment etc. He said Chrysler were more than well aware of the problem and they were currently liasing with their counterparts in the US to solve it. I was the fifth JK owner to report serious dw at their dealership.

It's somewhat reassuring to hear people offer solutions here. But from what I have been told by Jeep experts I can only presume they will be done in vain?

I've spent a lot of money on this near new vehicle to find it now has an apparently 'unfixable' serious problem. I think it's justifyable that I'm a little upset.

I'm probably way off the mark, but after experiencing this dw many times now, and hearing they cant cure it with syspension adjustments, I'm thinking it may be in the chassis. Kenworth had a similar problem few years ago in one of their models of trucks.

Has anyone else heard the story told like this?
I sort of remember hearing about the KW but thought it was wandering steering rather than DW.
I find it hard to believe that the DW you (& others) are experiencing is unfixable.
DW is an issue that is always lurking with front solid axle vehicles & its a matter of 'tuning' it out.The problem is that its frequantly mis-diagnosed because the symptons can be very simialar to other problems.
All the coil sprung live axle jeeps have to contend with it ,JKs actually have a advantage in that the front lower control arms are longer (you could even say they are medium control arms as opposed to long arms.).