KJ Snorkel - Page 40 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2006
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Safari KJ snorkel update

G'day guys,

I know that the Airflow snorkel is finally done and I hope it is great, but I just thought I'd give you an update on the things that are happenieng with the Safari KJ snorkel.

If you recall, the KJ was the second in line for 4 new Jeep Safari snorkels (ZJ, KJ, WJ, WH). Although the first couple of weeks of the ZJ R&D went very well, it seems that the KJ R&D process didn't go as expected. We had arranged member's vehicles so that Safari had both a petrol and diesel variant, but they only lasted a week (of the scheduled 2 weeks) before they were told they might as well come and get them...for now.

Enjoy (or not)
Cheers,
Brett...

The update from Safari is as follows:

"The problem is ducting from (the airbox) to the snorkel without making a new hole in the inner guard...also, keeping that duct’s ID to an acceptable diameter."

"...the minimum acceptable ID of any ducting involved is 3.0”. So, the minimum possible hole diameter in the outer guard which will handle that is 92mm. Then allow a minimum of 5 mm around the outside of that for the snorkel inner face. So, you are looking at a 102 mm dimension...(measuring) the height from the upper edge of the flare to the start of the radius of the top edge of the outer guard, the 102 mm simply is not there."

It seems that to arrive at a Safari acceptable diameter for the ducting (3"), it may lead to a "less than desirable approach of a massive hole in a structural member...Even if that were acceptable engineering practice (and self evidentially, it is not), it would be extremely difficult to do. That member is at least 2.5 mm formed material."

So it seems that the "KJ (snorkel) will be delayed due to design issues, but all the Grand Cherokees are still on track".

This aside, Safari are very adamant that this is not a "No", simply a delay.
Old 11-12-2006
Blackhawk

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts

Brett,

If i read this correctly, they are doing one for the new WH Grand as i want to buy one of these in the next 12-18 months. I was planning on a deisel so the snork was on the shopping list.

Thanks,
Old 12-12-2006
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

So Airflow can do it but Safari can't? What is the duct diameter for the Airflow one? Are Safari correct in stating that 3" ID is the minimum acceptable? For a 3" duct to need a 92mm hole the duct wall is just under 8mm thick, which seems excessive. Why does the duct entry need to be circular - the factory airbox intake certainly isn't?

C'mon Safari, sort these problems out so I can use my wife's staff discount at the local TJM store!
Old 12-12-2006
LokRinger

Liked 1,765 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palla
Well its listed on their website:

S62 SNORKELS Jeep KJ Jeep Petrol 3.7 / Diesel Supply from 15/12/06. 3.1/2" full flow system delivering 175% free air to the inlet. Photo based Instructions (Needs to be professionally fitted.)

Anyone know how much yet? Supply only & supply & fit.

Edit

Just placed an enquiry with my favourite 4x4 shop, see how long it will take for them to make it across the nullabour.
Well this states the Airflow did the right thing and is even bigger than the 3" although that might be outside diameter which would still leave at least 3" inner.
Either way a 175% airflow is still greater than the engine is capable of sucking.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 12-12-2006
Jack
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep
... airflow is still greater than the engine is capable of sucking.
I dunno if that's an accurate statement. Some people think the KJ sucks big time.
Old 12-12-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep
Well this states the Airflow did the right thing...
I've got nothing to do directly with Safari or Airflow, I'm just the bearer of the bad news about the Safari snorkel. I've told them that Airflow had it done and pointed them here to see photos etc.

My blurb was cut down and from three different e-mails so although I did run it by Safari before I posted it to make sure no noses were out of joint, I may have missed something (??)

...because to me, GoJeep is right, the sums add up for the Airflow option.

I'll see if anyone from Safari actually wants to jump on here as a guest and put anything more here...I can only ask
Old 12-12-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
If i read this correctly, they are doing one for the new WH Grand ...
That's the plan Hutch. The R&D process for the WJ is planned to start late January and then the WH is next (exactly when I don't know, but I am still waiting on a volunteer for that one ). I'd say the Commander would be next after that