Thinking of buying a 2005 WK Diesel for the daughter - Page 42 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts

Hi Mace.
Yes, please start a thread and take us through the process of getting your WH up to scratch. I learned a tremendous amount from Alex's thread.
Old 14-02-2022
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Well, daughters car has been going pretty good up until now.

No complaints at all... but then tonight i got the rescue call.
Broken down on the freeway and in some sort of limp mode.

I jumped in my 2010 GG and she was only 18km away.
Opened JScan and she had two codes. U0404 and U0103 which are both related to the ESM, electronic shift module. Both implausible data and lost communication codes. There was no engine management light on or any other lights. I noticed the Service 4WD sign had come up.

I cleared the codes and said she could drive my Jeep home, and i would drive hers.
It drove well. No warnings coming up, Service 4WD had disappeared and i got home fine after stopping at a servo and having to put some diesel in and airing up a tyre haha.

So.. A bit of research is leading me towards the Electronic Shift Module. There is a few YouTube video's on cleaning the contacts, as they get full of hair, dirt and spilt drinks. Also, there seems to be a bunch of people on the interwebs reporting unreliability of this module.

Anyone have this type of problem? These codes? and a permanent fix?
Hopefully a clean will sort it out if its only temporarily loosing comms.

This YouTube vid seems to explain it all, and the comments are great. Saving people thousands.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 14-02-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 15-02-2022
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If the [ ] as indicated as in the vid are present then probably the shifter but if not it could be the plug on the G/Box
Old 15-02-2022
AJOR Gold

Nice one Clarky.
I’ve got her car for the day tomorrow, so will fix small leak on tyre, clean shift module and have a look at this plug.
Then just a general check over.
I’m setting JScan up on her phone today and adding my token so she can check and clear her codes herself.
Will be good for her to understand this.

Cheers,
Old 16-02-2022
AJOR Gold

Okee Dokee.. got the daughters car for the day and im also flying back to work tomorrow and its also 38C so i didnt want to spend too much time fixing it.

First stop was to pull the centre console and rip out the shift module. Pretty easy once you have seen the YouTube clip. It was pretty dirty in there.

The reason you have to pull the centre console is to get to the two small screws that hold the T handle for 4WD on. I removed these screws and when i put it all back together i left the screws out. Then, if i have to pull it all apart again, i dont have to do the whole centre console thing. The T handle goes back in nice and snug anyway.

Once i had the whole unit in my hand.. i went in the kitchen and started stripping it down.

Then, once apart, i used cotton buds and my contact cleaner/lubricant to clean all the tracks up. They were pretty dirty with a black stuff.

I assembled everything back together and cleaned the console and all the parts as they went back in. All up about 90 minutes or less. A test and the car worked perfectly.

Next up was Clarky's suggestion of cleaning the plug on the transmission. I ran the car up on one ramp on the right front wheel so i could access the plug.

It seems to be held in with a cam lock ring. I just turned the ring and the plug pulled out. No bolts etc. It was pretty dirty and oily so i gave it all a wipe down and blasted the plug and terminals with contact cleaner/lubricant and put it all back.

A test drive and then a code check and all was good. Drove well and no codes so hopefully she is sorted. I got her to put JScan on her phone and i added my access code so she can check and clear codes on her GC. This may help her alot in the future.

Next stop was the tyre place and $35 later they had fixed a slow leaking tyre with a plug. They found a screw stuck in there. She had been driving around on 7 psi at one stage. Going to need new tyres soon anyway.

On the way home stopped at BP and went through the car wash for $15. It needed it.

So got home... tyre fixed, no codes, electronics stripped and cleaned!! Got under the car and drained the catch can of about 250ml dirty oil.
Then into the engine bay.. Water good, all other fluids good, oil.... needed 1 litre top up.

And now its lunch time. Car done and parked up ready for her majesty. Hopefully this will get her through a few more weeks of pizza delivery.

Cheers,
Old 16-02-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

wow look at all that rust in the pillar, ¿probably some ancient beverage spill?
can't help but think this might not be the cheapest vehicle/type to make pizza deliveries with
Old 16-02-2022
AJOR Gold

Thanks FarWest.. yep, should be a good two week swing away. Easy money haha..
WilliamAR, she makes $100 Aud for 3 hours work but has to pay for her own fuel but also doesn't have to pay tax, so she does OK for a kid still in high school. She usually has $400 to play with each week but doesn't see the money i have to put into servicing, road tax etc.. She will find out the real expense of running a car when she finishes year 12 and then university.
Just got a messenger message saying the GC is running well!! Touch Wood.

Cheers,