NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 44 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2020
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hopefully something happens before the next millennium. FCA have had their heads in the sand for ages. They know of the issue, they know the day will have to come, but maybe they also hope all the affected models will be scrap by then.
Old 28-05-2020
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
I would lay a complaint to FAC as well reminding them the same alternator is in the petrol as well.Also vehicle shutting down is a huge safety issue !I have just written to ACCC re GC 2011-13 fuel pump relay failure.Another new worldwide safety recall V62 issued Nov 2019 yet FAC still have no idea when a fix will be available.ACCC replied saying they will be investigating why this safety recall is not being acted on in Aust or NZ !
Oh yes, I will re: FCA. I was just so pissed off I went straight to ACCC, LOL.

Yes, it was pretty terrifying when it all shut down. And it went through the motions, shutting down blind spot assist, then ACC, then the console went off, followed by aircon, ABS, then brakes went spongy and then *boom* the engine lost power and I literally rolled on to a pavement by manhandling the power steering that obviously also went kaput. Could have ended up in a bad crash but thankfully didn't.

Yeah, I also noticed the V62 recall but I checked the NHTSA status on that and apparently they don't even have a fix for it yet ("a solution has not yet been determined").
Old 28-05-2020
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awj View Post
Hi all, new to the forum and joined to add my two cents about this whole alternator recall palaver. I know this thread is a bit old but it gave me valuable information and I hope to simply add to that.

So after my Overland systematically shut down all its electronic systems while I was driving at 100km/h southbound on the Mitchell Freeway in Perth (with my 18-month-old twins in the back), I got towed back home by the RAC and they told me it was my alternator. Got it towed to my mechanic, who mentioned he remembered a recall for the Jeep Grand Cherokee alternators a couple years ago.

So he called Jeep Osborne Park and they told him my VIN wasn't on the recall list. Yet the service centre at Jeep confirmed to my mechanic that the alternator recalled was the same part that was in my diesel Overland. So he posed the question as to why my car wasn't part of the recall and they simply said "because it's a diesel," to which he asked "so if the faulty Takata airbags that were installed in Australian cars had to be replaced in all vehicles with them. How does a faulty alternator not get replaced in every vehicle it was installed in?" Jeep Osborne Park then said "Well, I don't know but we're not obligated to do anything on this car. Thanks and goodbye."

After that conversation was relayed to me, I filed a reported for a safety issue to do with these alternators to the ACCC, also citing the Jeep Osborne Park had opted to do nothing. I also included for their reference a VIN check report that showed the US recalls (NHTSA recalls) for the alternator on my vehicle (one in 2014, one in 2017). I see that a number of you have done the same and I also encourage anyone who has had the same issue to do the same. Hopefully we can get something out of this.

In the US, if you had replaced your alternator before the recall, they reimbursed the cost of repair. I'm hoping if we kick up enough of a fuss, we will all get something out of this. I have also kept the faulty alternator just in case I need to prove anything.

Would love to hear your thoughts and if any of you who made reports to the ACCC were subsequently contacted for additional information.
Have you joined the JEEP Australia Facebook page, Have a read of the horror stories

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 28-05-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Facebook pages are a horror ................. don't mention youv'e had 3 or more that ran perfectly, the howls of derision.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-05-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Are there any early warning signs of imminent alternator failure before all the lights come on and everything starts to shut down whilst driving?
Old 30-05-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Are there any early warning signs of imminent alternator failure before all the lights come on and everything starts to shut down whilst driving?
I replaced mine before it failed totally (didn't want the stress, especially when towing) BUT my door mirrors and wipers did suddenly start operating without my intervention. Such electrickery usually indicates the battery isn't coping, so I also took it as a sign the alternator wasn't doing its job. My conclusion might be wrong but it seemed logical to me.
Old 30-05-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post

As far as I know 2015's aren't affected by this...YET....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
I replaced mine before it failed totally (didn't want the stress, especially when towing) BUT my door mirrors and wipers did suddenly start operating without my intervention. Such electrickery usually indicates the battery isn't coping, so I also took it as a sign the alternator wasn't doing its job. My conclusion might be wrong but it seemed logical to me.
On other vehicles Ive driven when the alternator chucked a spaz, things like fans and stuffed suddenly had a mind of their own so you might have got in early, reading what i could from various sources I just feel there's more to it than a dodgy alternator, I get the drift that a little black box is the cause of this and other relay, switch gear and pump failures possibly poor regulated power zapping things.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply