WK2 Snorkel - Page 47 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
So it's relatively easy to sketch up a snorkel (even make one out of stainless or poly tubing) but correct air induction design to maintain or improve performance and fuel economy is a different ball game
Hmmm please don't liken decent stainless pipework up there with poly tubing, I'm feeling a bit offended (that's my day job)

Does make you wonder how comparable the flow rates of the other brands are given pretty all have smaller head designs. Also makes you wonder how the high power Patrol/Cruiser boys get on with their stainless snorkels with the raw edged pipe facing backwards. Both attributes being detrimental to proven air flow conventions.
Old 08-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
makes you wonder how the high power Patrol/Cruiser boys get on with their stainless snorkels with the raw edged pipe facing backwards. Both attributes being detrimental to proven air flow conventions.
I'd say the majority of drivers don't/can't accurately measure their efficiency anyway, so as-long as they're happy, confirmation-bias will take care of the rest

I'd also guess the difference between optimal and ball-park is probably relatively small (relative to tyre pressures, roof rack wind resistance, etc.).
If a company is investing in a high volume product (with high capital costs.), it makes sense to make the extra effort to optimise air-flow at the same time (since it makes no difference to unit production.), and should give at-least a small real improvement which they can market off.

But if they all had NASA JPL-grade engineers perfecting airflow to a 'tee' (the impression they like to give.), all the brands would look pretty-much the same. They also wouldn't use corrugated flexi couplings from the snorkel to the airbox.

If I had a WK2 I wouldn't be worrying about the air flow of competing snorkels... probably more worried about damaging the relocated side indicator (on Stu's.).
Although to be honest I think Stu's would still be my choice, just coz it's different and looks more specific to the model (even if the lines aren't quite right.).

PS; once you're at any speed (maybe anything over ~70km/hr.), the location of the snorkel head relative to the windscreen will have a significant impact. I'd guess more significant than the shape & path of the head and snorkel itself.
I'm sure I've seen a quote somewhere from Michael @ airflow about that when he released the WH snorkel; that the head needs to sit up quite high from the windscreen to be out of a low-pressure zone at the top of the windscreen where it starts to flatten.
In that regard, it may be good enough to use a smaller head as-long as it sits in the same position (which would probably look worse anyway haha.).
Old 08-11-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
Hmmm please don't liken decent stainless pipework up there with poly tubing, I'm feeling a bit offended (that's my day job)
Sorry no offence meant..Simply that there is more to efficient snorkels design than some DIY tubing which you often see..Guess they work but how good??..I wonder too....Hopefully Safari get on board and give us a 4th choice...Companies like TJM, ARB & Airflow do spend a lot of money developing and testing...Damn pity it takes them so long (especially for Jeeps)..Volume sales and how many do take their Jeeps off road is the key..I see a lot of WK2s towing caravans but very few out in the wilds..2% some say & how many of them want snorkels...Lucky we can buy a snorkel at the price we can....Damn good cheap insurance for a diesel...It only takes one gulp and it's history..Can be lucky but I won't takes bets.

PS: Restricted air flow to a diesel ain't that good..I (and a few 4x4 mates) followed a Patrol along the road to Weipa and it was blowing heaps of black smoke so mate called him up on the CB ..We pull over and had a look at his air filter and it was reasonably clean so then checked out his snorkel...Plumbing look ok and then there it was, a pre filter. We pulled it off and it was almost blocked..Cleaned it and no more smoke..He did say he was wondering why his fuel consumption was crap and loss of power....Having said all this, I assume that an incorrectly designed snorkel not delivering correct airflow would increase diesel particulate matter..In modern DPF equiped diesels that would cause more frequent DPF reqens (increased fuel injection for high burn temp) with the accompanying increase in average fuel consumption for starters...Just a thought....Michael won't be swayed from his air scoop design just for the sake of looks. Stu hasn't got the testing facilities inhouse so not sure who did the computer modelling and dyno testing. Can't be many in Australia who have the facilities to do the air induction modelling & tests for snorkels...Dyno would be reasonably common & then trere is real world testing.

Last edited by Wanderer; 08-11-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Has anyone completed an install on one of the airflow snorkels themselves yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got mine done by the pros... The thought of cutting that hole in the guard!

I even washed the car before getting it done today.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 02-02-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Had my WH done by my mechanic.
Made sure that it was highly polished before dropping it off so that it made him more nervous........

Cheers, Craig
Old 03-02-2015
Jeepin' is incurable....

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Looks good NT. I wish it was released whenearlier this year we suddenly found ourselves in 400mm of water on the Pascoe. Or when I had to turn around on the OTT.

It will match my black bullbar and Trailhawk bonnet patch nicely (next trip now not till next year, so I'm not doing snorkel just yet).
Post New Thread  Reply