Overheating JK CRD 2.8L Manual - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default My 2c worth.

Living in the Pilbara, hot is the name of the game. Using the torque app, I have found the following.

Medium size driving lights add a couple of degrees, see CRD Spotlights and Heat post.

Opening the numberplate flap on ARB bar decreases temps by 2 degrees (no winch installed yet).

I drove to Broome the other day temp was 42c. Sitting on 110km/h on a flat road temp gauge was slightly over half and not in the normal position. Turned on Torque, lifted number plate and watched Torque. Water was 106 oil 115 with spotties on the bar. Temps came down by a couple of degrees due to flap lift. An hour up the road, I noticed out of the blue water temps dropped to 95c for 40 seconds then went back to 102. I noticed this cycle happen about 4 times then stayed around the 102c for the rest of the trip. I have seen this happen now on 3 different occasions.
It appears that the radiator can cope, but either the thermostat or fan is not operating correctly. On the Broome trip I was 2 hours into the trip when something good happened. Why would it take so long to work, then only work a few times?
Yt2...
Old 09-01-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

102 degrees is in normal working range id be happy with that in 42 deg
Old 10-01-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

The thermostat starts to wakeup at 74deg, so at 100deg you are fairly high % range past open, while the system is pressured at 22psi, the boiling point is much higher, but long term high temps and Mopar coolant lead to shitty cooling systems and bottles splittings causing engine failure.
102 at 42deg is very good still in a Jk!
Old 06-01-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Just came back to Sydney from a trip to Hervey towing a 2t boat, on the way up some hills caused the temp to go just over half, coming back to Sydney on some hills the temp got to 3/4 and climbing.

2 questions how do I check my viscous fan if it's on it's way out and any mods I can do to help keep the temp down when towing eg: lower temp thermostat?

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 06-01-2016
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

yeah I had similar issues with my 3.8l petrol going from Adelaide to Robe just recently as was 40 degrees, towing and on hills temp would go as high 3/4 without aircon on and only worse if I switched it on. I am going to change factory radiator to a larger 3 or 4 core depending what will fit.dont buy the cheap Chinese aluminium ones as they don't last as I have seen on a number of occasions in mates forbies.
Old 06-01-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Thought I'll add crd auto.
I don't have the room to go larger radiator, I noticed people are talking about mopar coolant, is it better than the red long life coolant?
Is mopar coolant clear in colour?

, [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-------)_)

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 06-01-2016
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

when I say go larger (not sure about the CRD engine bay) but on the petrol you can go 'fatter' ie more cores not wider which will better aid in cooling.