JK: The Ozbogan Rubicon Unlimited build - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 108 Times in 77 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbogan View Post
So I'm still a bit away of getting some new tyres and wheels but I had a chance to borrow a wheel and tyre of a mate to check how it fits under the rugged ridge flares.

I was considering 35s so borrowed a 35x12.5r18 on an 18in rim (4.75bs). I will only go a 17 but couldn't be picky

The tyre measured about 34.5 on the car.

I'm only running the 2in Old man emu coils (diesel application front and 300kg rear) but everything else is out of the old man emu 4in kit.

The tyres fit on really well. I couldn't flex it up as to check for anything hitting unfortunately but a quick look around looks like ip everything up front will clear. The tyres stick out of the flares - just, not enough to attract any attention I don't think but if it did its nothing some flare rubber wouldn't fix.

In the rear It was a bit tighter. I have about 3in clearance between the rear bar and the tyre at the back, and 2in between the tyre and the body at the front. The rubicon factory rock rail obviously needs to be trimmed as there is only about 1/2 inch clearance between it and tyre lol.

It looked good though, and gave an extra 2.5in clearance under the diff as expected.

So am I any closer to deciding between 35s and 33s? Nope. But the 35s do look good on it!

While I had the wheel off I noticed that the rear brake hard lines had scratches / marks on the plastic coating, and it appaered that my swaybar links (arb r links) had been hitting or touching the hard lines during wheel travel. With some tubing pliers I bent the hard lines on both sides straight up out of the hard line and soft line junction and then curved and ran it straight along the lower edge of the inner wheel liner. This effectively lifted it two inches. I drilled two 6mm hole in the inner wheel liner, one to take the oem brake line clip and one further along for a zip tie. Of course made sure there's plenty of movement available for any body/ chassis movement. I've run conduit over it now as well for a little better protection if needed.

I had that exact problem except mine got bent major. One hit the inner guard and the other ended up under the chassis rails about 100 mm at least.

I got mine cut and new sections joined to run over the rail and down to the caliper behind the sway bar. Not sure why this wasn't the factory design.

MY13 JKU Manual Billet Silver Rubicon,Leather,SAT/NAV,Towbar,AEV-Front-Bar
Old 07-02-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Do you have some pics of the awning mounted. I'm looking at the same and the think platform but was concerned that it over hangs the rack.

Old 07-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts

Sorry mate no actual pics but do have the next best thing, an awesome paint drawing I did on m iPad for you

Both of my awnings (side and rear) are done this same way. This is also the same way I do it at work when a customer requires a low roof height.

You'll need the awning ( I use the arb awnings with twin 10mm od channels in the back, same as rim etc, if you use other brands it may be different. Rhino awnings only use one)

You'll need however many brackets you plan on using ( I use 3) and these are 100x 75 3mm right angle brackets gal from Bunnings.

6 m6 x 20 bolts and 3 m6 x 60 + 3 rhino channel nuts and 6 nylons / washers.

Put the brackets against the awning and make sure holes line up with the awning mount channels.

Bolt the three awning brackets using the m6 x 20 and channel nuts into the rhino channel on the rack, and drill out the upper holes using the bracket as a template through the side of the rack.

Slide m6 x 60 bolts in top channel of awning and m6 x 20 into the lower. Line up with brackets and pass them through, tighten them up and Robert is your mothers brother.

The pic is looking at a x section of the rack / awning from front to rear

Old 07-02-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I really like the way things are arranged on your rack as well and following your build.
What's the total height of you JK with the rack now? I am leaning towards low profile racks but still tossing around which to go for.
I love your drawer too, planning on making my own when my house and man is ready.
Old 08-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowing View Post
I really like the way things are arranged on your rack as well and following your build.
What's the total height of you JK with the rack now? I am leaning towards low profile racks but still tossing around which to go for.
I love your drawer too, planning on making my own when my house and man is ready.
Thanks mate. I've only measured height to the top of the HF antenna as it is the highest non-flexible point, and that is 2.15m. It's probably (just guessing) 2.0 to the top of the rack if I didn't have the solar panel etc on. I'll run a tape over it later this arvo for you.
Old 08-02-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks mate. I want to add solar panels etc later and some parking spots around my place are so low that got me worry. The newer ones are getting lower and lower. lol
Old 08-02-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbogan View Post
Sorry mate no actual pics but do have the next best thing, an awesome paint drawing I did on m iPad for you

Both of my awnings (side and rear) are done this same way. This is also the same way I do it at work when a customer requires a low roof height.

You'll need the awning ( I use the arb awnings with twin 10mm od channels in the back, same as rim etc, if you use other brands it may be different. Rhino awnings only use one)

You'll need however many brackets you plan on using ( I use 3) and these are 100x 75 3mm right angle brackets gal from Bunnings.

6 m6 x 20 bolts and 3 m6 x 60 + 3 rhino channel nuts and 6 nylons / washers.

Put the brackets against the awning and make sure holes line up with the awning mount channels.

Bolt the three awning brackets using the m6 x 20 and channel nuts into the rhino channel on the rack, and drill out the upper holes using the bracket as a template through the side of the rack.

Slide m6 x 60 bolts in top channel of awning and m6 x 20 into the lower. Line up with brackets and pass them through, tighten them up and Robert is your mothers brother.

The pic is looking at a x section of the rack / awning from front to rear

Thanks for the info, I was concerned about the fact that the awning overhangs the rack in length though.

Is your awning is 2400 and the rack the 1800 platform for the backbone system?

Looks really tidy.

Post New Thread  Reply