2000 XJ Cherokee 2.5 Diesel - Starter Problems. - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 233 Times in 190 Posts

Errmm, not much of a how-to but basically you need to find a thermostatic adapter (Greddy makes one with the correct oil filter adapter too, I almost bought it), get some hoses and fittings and a cooler.
Initially I wanted to get a Mitsubishi cooler, it seems like they have all shapes and sizes imaginable but not exactly what I wanted.

As for hoses, if you take my route with custom high-pressure hydraulic hoses, you will have to have everything in position when cutting and clamp them a little when routed since these kind of hoses can't be twisted, at least not easily.

What about we start a new topic on this matter, eh ?

As far as testing goes, after a spirited drive I can't keep my finger on the inlet side of the cooler for 5 seconds while I can keep it around 10-15 seconds on the outlet side, the difference is definitely noticeable.
Old 18-02-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

Make sure you take into account that the existing standard oil cooler also acts to help warm the oil during cold starts. Has any one fitted a temp sensor on their oil after the existing cooler?
Old 18-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

I installed mine after both coolers and the hottest I could get it was a smidge above the line under 200F.

It's probably fine, since the thermostat works as it should, a more accurate temperature would have been measured in the oil pan. The stock sensor location was just too good to pass up, the sender fit perfectly

Last edited by Adrian D; 18-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 19-02-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Make sure you take into account that the existing standard oil cooler also acts to help warm the oil during cold starts. Has any one fitted a temp sensor on their oil after the existing cooler?
very good point layback..i hadn't thought of that. would the consequence just be to warm the car up for longer before driving (i always let my car warm up as much as possible in the morning, usually to OP Temp) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
I installed mine after both coolers and the hottest I could get it was a smidge above the line under 200F.

It's probably fine, since the thermostat works as it should, a more accurate temperature would have been measured in the oil pan. The stock sensor location was just too good to pass up, the sender fit perfectly
what two coolers did you go with ? where is the stock sensor location ?? for an oil temp i thought it would sit on the adapter plate for the oil filter

but that would be taken up by your oil lines to your external cooler. also did you install a VDO guage ? i hear they're a bit of $$$

Last edited by mud_slut; 19-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 19-02-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

[QUOTE=mud_slut;1358214]very good point layback..i hadn't thought of that. would the consequence just be to warm the car up for longer before driving (i always let my car warm up as much as possible in the morning, usually to OP Temp) ?
In the cold weather the oil may never get up to operating temp ~ poor lubrication.
Many of the Mercedes diesels have a thermostat that makes the oil bypass the oil cooler until it gets to operating temp.
Old 19-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

The pre-update version has a slanted oil filter mount (you can see mine is not vertical, it's horizontal) and there is a threaded hole in the oil filter mount which can be used for measuring oil temperature.

If my memory serves me right there is a location in the post-update where you can install a sensor, I will have to get home and look in my parts catalogs. And I also have pictures to show some details.

The VDO gauges aren't all that expensive, check egauges.com for good prices

Two coolers = stock oil-water cooler and the radiator. And I'm using an OEM VM adapter plate with thermostat.

Last edited by Adrian D; 19-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 19-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Greddy thermostatic adapters:
http://www.garage7.com.au/home/index...hk=1&Itemid=53

Cheaper options are Mitsubishis with engine oil coolers.
Post New Thread  Reply