Nice try Jeep... but that aint gonna fly! (Satnav update) - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Turns out the free update doesn't apply to the REP unit...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Default Nice try Jeep... but that aint gonna fly! (Satnav update)

Our 2011 JKU has the REP unit and as I mentioned above this has been our biggest disappointment in the car. Last week we were chasing a few things to be sorted before the warranty runs out next month and my wife was booking the Jeep in at Albion in Brisbane. Well the smartass in the service dept decided to give her a but of lip and cheesed her off enough that she decided to call Jeep Australia to complain. While talking to them she moaned about the NAV system and the broken promises with the maps etc for the last 3years and managed to convince them to install the latest upgrade maps for free. Apparently there is a very recent map release for the REP but I have to wait a week for the disc to be delivered to Brisbane by a cross eyed donkey with 3 legs !!!! I will not plan any road trips with the NAV as my guide until I have tested it out and once installed I will pop back and let others know if it is worth the $200+ that the dealer suggested it would cost if CJD did not come to the party.
Cheers
David
Old 16-04-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering the saga that the guys on the Jeep Garage Grand Cherokee forum have gone through, I would have hoped that Jeep Australia would be wary of pissing off another group of owners by denying the same problem exists on other model

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 16-05-2014
Established Member

Well I had the JK at the dealer today to get the starter motor replaced and the promised upgrade of the mygig system. We have the REP mygig with navigation. The dealer did the update and it did not cost us anything as promised by CJD. Bear in mind the dealer would have charged us in excess of $200 to do the upgrade if CJD had not been involved. There appears to be some very minor cosmetic changes to the look of the screens and it does have a slightly more fresh look. Cosmetics aside, just from driving home from work in Brisbane today the Nav system would seem to be a vastly superior product to the previous version. I am not prepared to say after one trip that it is without the faults it had previously but it seems to be much much faster at everything. When you plug in an address it generates a route a heap faster. When driving along and not following the prescribed route it immediately re-routes and just carries on, previously it would always tell you to turn around and would not re-route. The other thing that seems to be a major improvement is the "map data not verified" message has not shown up in areas where previously it was all the time. The maps themselves now seem to have a lot of the new roads in Brisbane including the new airport link tunnels. I will continue to test it out but so far it definitely seems to be a vast update on the maps that previously seemed to have been drawn by Burke and Wills 😳.
I have included pictures of the update disc set including the part numbers and version numbers for any interested parties. I believe the set is a full software update as well as NAV and map update.
Cheers
David

Old 16-05-2014
Established Member

Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts

Is this your copy or the dealers? If it's your, can I borrow it just to look at, honest
Old 16-05-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Can I have a look after him? 😉
Old 17-05-2014
Established Member

The copy is mine and I am on the northside of Brisbane and you are more than welcome to have a look anytime. Be aware though that the instructions are pretty clear that you require both the VIN and an activation code to match up with the product licence number so I am not too sure how successful your "look" would be 😄. All I have ever wanted out of the GPS system was decent mapping and it now appears to have been finally rectified. I would have been prepared to pay for it as the only reason I was so annoyed was that we could not even buy an update and the maps were so out of date right from day one.