Different wheel sizes for WJ/WG 2004 Grand Cherokee Ltd diesel. - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-06-2015
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
If you stay under 2" you can usually get away with just the basic components, springs and shocks.
Depending on K's you may need a few new other new parts if you experience death wobble.

Jason
Old 15-06-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It has done 203K/km, and had the tie rod ends done recently and wheel alignment, drives fine so far. The dealership has spent a fortune on repairing it (more than I actually paid for the entire Jeep) as it was all under warranty, but now the extended warranty has expired so have to pay for everything. If I ever get another Jeep I will definitely get another extended warranty, worth its weight in gold.

If I do raise the height to 2" will that encourage the "death wobbles"? I mean I do not really need to get it raised up, just probably need the springs and shockers replaced as I could always stick to the same size A/T tyres I have now but not in a M/T type apparently.
Old 15-06-2015
MonsterMoose

Liked 4,007 Times in 2,363 Posts

Shocks just need to unbolt old ones and put new ones on, putting up on jack stands and removing wheel just makes it easier to get at, hoist or ramps is handy.
Doing the springs, choc rear wheels, lift front (jack axle up)put jack stands under chassis, remove wheels and undo one end of the rod that goes from the axle to body, remove bottom shock bolt ( or remove shock if fitting new ones) put size 8 boot on hub and push axle down and spring should be able to be pulled out, clean mount and refit new spring and put everything back as it was.

Rear is a little bit harder, choc front wheels, Jack rear up from axle, stands under chassis and remove wheels and shocks, lower axle remove jack, push down on axle end and remove spring, axle will need to be pushed down hard for the last inch to get spring out, as before put everything back together.
Nothing needs to be forced.............the lower spring mounts may need to be cleaned of rust and a anti rust paint applied as they can get rusty.

As with all this sort of work chock wheels before jacking, use jack stands under vehicle at all times, use rated jacks and throw the Jeep scissor jack in the bin.

My lift was supposed to be up to 40mm, don't where they get that from though.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 15-06-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

thanks Rover, I was just watching a youtube video on changing the front and rear shocks, looks pretty straight forward. Now just looking for a video on how to change the springs. My rear may be a bit more involved as I have the airbags fitting inside the rear springs but hopefully it won't be too much drama. I know what you mean about that Jeep scissor jack, downright dangerous.

I made my own jack stands so I know they won't break. I didn't like the look of the ones at Supercheap, might make a few more of them as they always come in handy, any brand names for shocks and spring kits that are better than others and is it worth it to pay top dollar for the really advertised big name kits or any will do? It's not as if I intend to do rock climbing or anything.

I just finished watching how they remove the springs, those spring compressors look dodgy/dangerous! also on one or two videos they were using spacers above the springs which I assume would save replacing the saggy springs with new ones, I take it that isn't legal in Australia nor a good way to go anyway? So would I need a spring compressor or will the springs go out and in without one?

Last edited by Ed..; 26-06-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 16-06-2015
MonsterMoose

Ed, air bags just mean you have to unplug the line and remove, clean and replace them in the new ones.
I think there may be a Youtube vid on changing the WJ springs.

Absolutely no need for spring compressors, it's just as I described in the earlier post, you lift the vehicle up, disconnect the bottom bolt on the shockie, push down on the hub and pull the spring off, thats why you take the wheels off so you have that axle movement. Rear you undo the shockie bolts, front you undo the shockie bolts and the rod that I can't remember what its name is, no need for any other tools really, spacers are a waste of time as if the srping is shagged and sagged it's really stuffed, replace it.

I've found Old Man Emu stuff fits, gives you a good run and doesn't rattle or knock like some of the others, been using them for over 30 yrs. Tried some others but come back to OME and I have no connection with ARB who I think are expensive but the gear is good.

Oh yeah you do need to jack the axle up to get the shockies bolts to line up of course.
Where abouts in SE QLD are you.???

Old 16-06-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Drover, Thanks for the info, I am in Ningi, (near Caboolture), I watched a few more vids and it is making sense now so should be able to tackle it.

I will need to replace the tyres first before I tackle the rest of the upgrade. Looks like I will be settling for the Hankook RF10's in a LT 245/70R17 size rather than trying to downsize my rim size and then get a set of MT tyres to match.
Old 17-06-2015
MonsterMoose

Sounds a better idea, you would need a 245/75 in a 16 or a 265/70 maybe to get the same height I think.

Post New Thread  Reply