WK2 reliability-fake news? - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdv6 View Post
You do 10k every 3 months? Wow, you must get around!
How often do you change the fuel filters?
Is it a DIY proposal?
I rack up 30 to 35K a year on average so a service every 3 or 4 mths, less this year I reckon..... With a 120km round trip to Dan Murphys its easy to do a few miles. ...... As stated by the others fuel filter change is easy enough a socket 27mm I think, a tray to catch the fuel, loosen the water drain plug and let it drain off for a bit then remove the filters, replace with the new ones (keep the caps off the old ones so oyu have a spare if you stuff one up) then you should push the start button to run for about 4 sec then off with foot off brake about 3 or 4 times on the 5th time put your foot on brake to start and it should fire up, this lets the pump prime the system, I do them every 20K and always change everything before we head off on our annual 3 month wander may change along the way as we can do 12K easy, always carry full set of spare filters...Buy my filters from this mob on ebay, oil filters are Captiva ones.....https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-Fil...53.m1438.l2649

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 04-04-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 301 Times in 188 Posts

Slightly off topic but also not. I watched a doco on a large trucking firm in the US. They were trying to work out whether km or time was best for their fleet. They actually found out by splitting their trucks to long travel regularly and short driving trucks required different maintenance. The short driving, constant stopping trucks they went on run hours due to constant idling, start/stop etc, while the long distance trucks went on km traveled.

Makes sense to me.
Old 06-04-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Slightly off topic but also not. I watched a doco on a large trucking firm in the US. They were trying to work out whether km or time was best for their fleet. They actually found out by splitting their trucks to long travel regularly and short driving trucks required different maintenance. The short driving, constant stopping trucks they went on run hours due to constant idling, start/stop etc, while the long distance trucks went on km traveled.

Makes sense to me.
Me too. I think many agree that constant short low km runs equates to a faster rate of wear.
Old 06-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Many things come into it for trucks lots idling is not good while for these Grands its even worse but short runs, idling for long periods makes water and other crap to coat surfaces, pollute oil and not getting the right heat to burn things out just stuffs things up quicker, hence the distance/time schedules in the servicing book.
When I drove aircraft refuelling Tankers we serviced by time as for eg: we would change the 12 tyres at 400km or so as they would be stuffed......mind the engine did a lot of stationery running but not idling........
Not just engines either difs, gearbox all suffer from short runs, that is when you need to tighten up the servicing regime while long distance constant runs the regime can safely be stretched out with regular checks, the crap gets burnt off.

Old 06-04-2020
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
With a 120km round trip to Dan Murphys its easy to do a few miles. ...... A[/url]
Shit that's a hike if running low, my local Dr Dan's is less than a 5 minute walk for me
Old 07-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Shit that's a hike if running low, my local Dr Dan's is less than a 5 minute walk for me
Give the DPF a good burn, of course Bunnings as well as Aldi and Supercheap get a visit, supporting the local bottle shop at the moment and when all this is over will need a nice long fast run to clean the crap out for sure......

Old 07-04-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

in Victoria currently we get fined ($1600) if randomly stopped by the Old Bill and can't 'justify' why we're out driving (even if we never get out of the car). Sadly visiting Bunnings etc. is not justifiable as it doesn't involve work, groceries or medical needs.

Saving on fuel for sure, not good for the cars to sit indefinitely though.
Post New Thread  Reply