Oils they is changing......... - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

Well rang Gulf Western today re the GW 10w40 TopDog plus .On their own drums I have seen synthetic oil on the labels ,yet on Supercheap and a few other retailers onfo ,semi synthetic!
The facts are it is a semi synthetic oil. !
Old 23-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Anybody using the Penrite 10w40 Enviro full synthetic with the CJ4 rating.?
25% off all store stock today and tomorrow at Autobarn ,!where we are Grafton NSW
On another note Nulon is another oil company that are still stating in their press button display that 5w30 is the correct oil for the 2011 up WK diesels.! tells me something, !Some WK owners doing their own oil changes relying on Nulons info might be on the road to destroying an engine!

Last edited by bjm; 23-06-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 23-06-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 369 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Anybody using the Penrite 10w40 Enviro full synthetic with the CJ4 rating.?
25% off all store stock today and tomorrow at Autobarn ,!where we are Grafton NSW
On another note Nulon is another oil company that are still stating in their press button display that 5w30 is the correct oil for the 2011 up WK diesels.! tells me something, !Some WK owners doing their own oil changes relying on Nulons info might be on the road to destroying an engine!
I did email Nulon re the 5w-30 listing a while back but like Drover, been using Nulon 10w-40 fully synth with the CJ4 rating, been very good thus far, did a 1,200km trip a couple of weeks ago, ran well.
Im just contemplating doing a transmission oil and pan change using Nulons new
fully synth low viscosity transmission oil which is listed as a Lifeguard 8 equivalent which Drover is using and reckons its really good - and decent price.
Old 26-06-2023
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts

Hi.
Don't get too hung up on the 10w rating. 5w will serve just as well.

Also, A3/B4 is an acceptable rating for the Ecodiesel. Brit' Jeep dealers use the Selinia 5w/40 A3/B4 for the Ecodiesel.

Can you get the Shell Rotella T6? That is what i would use. Not available in UK hence the dealers use the A3/B4 stuff.
Old 26-06-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Rotella T6 is a great oil, I used it until supply in Aus became flakey and then hopeless. Shipping costs from US went crazy too. The WK2 diesel supplement recommends Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for use in Aus. It is neither CJ4 nor a low SAPS oil, so go figure.
Old 26-06-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,354 Posts

Well I wouldn't be using ACEA "A or B" Class oils in these engines for the simple reason they are not mid/low saps nor are they Catalyst/DPF friendly and while I agree the 10W or 5W means bugga all here in Oz it does mean the API CJ4 or ACEA E9 oils are more available in the 10W grade.......... anything to keep the Soot Oven happy and bearings smiling is a winner for me...... they meet Euro 5.

Over the last decade we have seem FCA increase the oil speccs on these engines for a reason and I surmise that reason was because originally it was all about getting more stars on the fuel economy label and service cost rating, something that a lighter oil will provide and as things started to break they upped the specs until now we have it as a CJ4/E9, which if they used at least a 40 grade in the beginning might have saved some heartache.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-07-2023
Lowranger Shocker

There appears to have been a rise in the number of WK diesel engine failures noted on forums over the last year! Some low klms.Whether owner serviced or dealer serviced vehicles. One had to ask why! I spent some time last night going through FCAs TSBs on the oil viscosity change to 5w40,and geez makes good reading.
1.There was a auto software update that should have been done at the same time as the oil change over to make sure shifts were easier on the crankshaft to stop shock loading.!
2.All oil filler caps to have a 5 w40 sticker on them! Ever seen one ?
3.A 2020 TSB states in no uncertain terms how to change the oil in these motors
to avoid bearing damage or failure on startup including wiping around the fill spill
lip area with isopropyol!
There are numerous updates re these TSBs! To much to copy and print!
Suffice to say that if anybody has an engine failure and if dealer serviced and the dealer hadnt/hasnt put the 5w40 label on the filler cap ,or done the auto software update etc Or updated the oil change info ,FCA would be in my sights!
And also remember some oil companies are publicly still stating 5w30 is the correct oil even when notified. Who is liable in that situation if your motor fails.?So if you do your own oil changes or get an independant to do it the auto software update will not have been done and the wrong oil may be being used !
Just remember that the viscosity change in 2016 was a worldwide TSB to change oil to 5w40,immediately in all dealers stock new and used ! Supposedly because of main bearing failures!

Last edited by bjm; 07-07-2023 at 05:54 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply