1,051 lb. pig - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That isnt a pig. That is a horse that looks like a pig.

You guys should chill out, its not a schoolyard.
Old 02-06-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehehe.. funny hoax..

I remember when I was younger and living on my folks farm (yup I'm gonna sound like a redneck now) we had a pig that we slaughtered for meat. Damn thing was so big (not even close to the purported size of this one) it took three of us to hoist it up so we could clean it up and prepare it for the table (omitted all the gory details for those with a sensitve stomach). It was really hard work but we had meat (salted, dried, smoked etc) for ages and ages.

The logistics of dealing with a pig that big is mind boggling. They were lucky it didn't go bush (as most animals do when injured) to try and get away. Would have been a bugger of a job trying to get it out.

I love stuff like this (makes me laugh).. If you want to see some other interesting photos you should go to the following web site. I subscribe to the newsletter.. they always have some funny stuff to look at:

http://www.eureka4wd.com.au/Newslett..._June_2007.htm

WARNING:
I HAVE A JEEP AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!
Old 02-06-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More on that same story: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...onsterpig.html

B.
Old 02-06-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Another fairy tale

as Alice once said...Curiouser and curiouser
Old 03-06-2007
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski View Post
Quote:
Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

BIGGER than Hogzilla!
The news media used it for headlines for a week claiming it's size was a hoax. On the evening of May 31, I was contacted by Bran Strickland of the Anniston Star and he told me that he had good news and bad news. He said that the good news is your claims about the pig's massive size have been verified. The bad news is that he came from a hog breeder and that the pig had been sold from the breeder to the preserve for the purpose of hunting. Early on the morning of June 1, I went to the computer and read Bran's article which portrayed the pig as a family pet. The pig that Jamison killed did not act like a family pet. It was a very aggressive animal. I was upset at first to read this report but after going through a week of being told what we killed did not exist by the network media, I decided to get to the bottom of this myself. I got my whole family up at 6:00 a.m. and traveled to Heflin, AL to meet with the Blissitts to give Phil Blissitt, whom I have never met or talked to before, the opportunity to explain to Jamison why he had sold a pig that was described as being so gentle and sweet to a hunting preserve in order for someone to come and kill it.

I was able to arrange a meeting with Mr. Blissitt who was happy to oblige as he is a father of a young boy similar to Jamison's age. Mr. Blissitt explained to me that he was an avid hunter and fisherman and that he did not see anything wrong with the hunting of the animal and if he did, he would not have sold it to the preserve. I asked him to tell me a little bit about the animal and asked was Mr. Strickland of the Anniston Star accurate in his docile description of the pig. Mr. Blissitt said he had bought all the pigs for his wife. The hogs were her deal, he and his son just took care of them for her. He said all of their pigs had just recently been sold for slaughter and the big boar was too big to be a breeder because of his massive weight and stature and would certainly be unsuitable for slaughter, referring to him being an uncut boar hog. He said the pig had gotten out several times by simply walking through the fence. He also said that the pig was very scary to people who would come in the yard because of his jaw popping, which is usually seen as a sign of aggression in hogs. He said that on several occasions, he had seen this massive pig throw other pigs around, once even over the fence. Mr. Blissitt also told of building the pig a large shelter that was big enough to cover him and keep him out of the weather but he said the pig tore it to bits in less than 40 minutes. Mrs. Blissitt herself even said in Mr. Strickland's article that at times the pig would even become irate. Mr. Blissitt said he could see how anyone looking at the hog with his jaw popping and aggressive behavior in the 200 acre hog preserve, that is part of the 2,500 acre hunting plantation, would certainly believe this pig to be very scary. He congratulated Jamison on his hunt and said that somebody had to kill the pig.

Mr. Blissitt then said that they never would have brought this issue up if we were not trying to claim it to be a record wild hog. I explained that we had never declared it to be any kind of record and until recently, I was not very well educated on the terminology of hogs and their classifications. As the Alabama Game and Fish Commission investigated the story and the parties involved for wrong doing with the exception of Jamison and I, we sat patiently trying to understand what was going on. When the investigation was complete, I spoke with officials from the Alabama Game and Fish Commission who insured me that nothing illegal or unethical had occurred by any of the parties investigated. They did not tell me this pig had been purchased for stock on the plantation, which does have many species of pigs, including Russian black boar, that do raise there in a feral environment. He did state that the pig was of a domestic origin which was the ONLY legal way for owner's of pig hunting preserves to stock or restock besides pigs being born on the property. I did not really think a lot about what he said nor did I care at the time because I was still fighting the battle proving the pig was real or at least to get the news media to quit saying it wasn't.

Now from the first time this story was told to the interviews Jamison and I have done on radio and television, we have never failed to say that the pig was hunted on a hunting ranch or farm. I know many of you real hunters and animal rights activist have chastised Jamison and I for this hunting trip from the very beginning trying to make it sound like it was something short of a true hunting experience and your opinion is well received and understood. However, I own no hunting land and have very little time so this opportunity to hunt what we thought and technically still is, according to the definition I have, a feral pig, was something I do not regret doing for my son. Had I known that in a short time, someone would call this pig their "pet", we would have simply hunted another hog. I would like to thank Mr. Blissitt for his honest and forthcoming description of the pig and his understanding and taking time to explain to my son that he did NOT shoot the family pet!

I have no hard feelings at anyone involved nor do I feel like I have been misled in any way now that I have a total understanding of this event.

Contrary to What The News is Saying We Do Not Claim to Have Any Kind Of Record.

Yep...gotta make your brain hurt again. Not enough pictures with the big words.
Old 03-06-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know why anyone thinks I care about this...

B.

Last edited by Brettski; 03-06-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Duh - grammar.
Old 04-06-2007
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I knew the big words without pictures would get some...
Post New Thread  Reply