So you want a Long Armed WJ- Its Hard! - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm with you MRGC, get ironrocks uni axles [mine just turned up and in the nick of time as I just broke left cv only 2 weeks after replacing broken RHS], put in the double cardon front shaft and get the adjustable track bar[check the old thread as I had some problems] and there is a sye kit for the 247 in the states- do a search because I'm sure it was in an old grand chero thread. Ironrocks rig runs 6.5 lift and if you look closely at the pics it has the standard dana 30 front and probably only a double cardon front conversion.

great thread by the way, been a while since we had a grand drivers thread that you can sink your teeth in.
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I'm with you MRGC, get ironrocks uni axles [mine just turned up and in the nick of time as I just broke left cv only 2 weeks after replacing broken RHS], put in the double cardon front shaft and get the adjustable track bar[check the old thread as I had some problems] and there is a sye kit for the 247 in the states- do a search because I'm sure it was in an old grand chero thread. Ironrocks rig runs 6.5 lift and if you look closely at the pics it has the standard dana 30 front and probably only a double cardon front conversion.

great thread by the way, been a while since we had a grand drivers thread that you can sink your teeth in.
I've already got the D/cardon joint.. std on 02 - 04 i belive..

I have just been hearing soo many things about the D30 going "bang"!!!

The reality is the D30 is not a HP so its gonna cause dramas at 6' it seems its prob better value to get the 6' complete kit, from claytons

i e-mailed claytons to see what they reckon about what diffs all the guys on mallcrawlin reckon your dreaming if u wanna run a locked D30 with 33's MRGC however in saying that my current 32's will be fine and they are plenty tall enough ( there as tall as a procomp 33 just dont have the same width ) so i could be ok there however if i get the complete 6' lift then im gonna be dieing to run a 33 or 34 like the kit is intended for.. then Bang!

This is why i didnt lock the D30 a few months ago cause me and the gal decided we're gonna trick this thing and get her a car.

The JK's seem great value cause the come already with 4:10 and the electronic locka's.... Now if you tuffen up the D30 with those axels + gears + lock's thats gonng be close to $2.5 grand ?? yea ??? ( what do u reckon ) and that will eventually break

however D44's IRO sell for $3k complete with everything inc WJ caliper conversion ( something else i wanna look into ) im waiting for a call back from my local 4x4 shop to see what they can get them for.. will be interesting...

uhhh need more coffee brains fried again, cheak some of the cars on the claytons site, most of these guys are on mall crawlin and they were starting off with D30's 44a's however thats old info on the claytons site it seems cause they all doing JK swaps now... I dont know what to do about the JK's being 1.2inch wider as well i dont wanna have something that the boys and gals in blue dont like the look of.. even though its now only a weekender!
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Got this from the lovely chaps at claytons!!!

Hey hows it going. Well we are know for a great reputation and a company
that actually knows what they are talking about. However I woudl be lying if
I told you I knew a lot of info about your diesel WJ. The trackbar that we
use is a JKS trackbar which will obviously not work on your right hand drive
WJ. Everything else should work, but I can not guarantee it. Meaning our 3
piece bolt in then weld in cross member should be in a certain location. Not
sure if your is different because of the diesel (assuming it uses a
different trans) and or the right hand drive issue. We have worked on RHD
TJs and XJs which where shipped from UK, and noticed that the cross member
which has a 1 inch offset on the XJ is backwards on the RHD UK models. So to
be honest, the kit will probably get your 90-90% of the way there and then
you might have to do some custom work to make everything fit your model.

As far as the JK axles, we are installing a set on a WJ right now. I will
have more pictures in the next few weeks. Rear is done, but now we are
getting ready for a show, and will probably not have time to finish the
front.

As far as shipping I can look into different rates? Probably a skid. The
PD-WJ60 is 8 boxes 275 lbs, plus shocks another 24lbs.

Now are you going to buy the axles in Australia, or here and have them
shipped over? Just wondering, because if here, then we can probably order
them for you and put everything on 1 skid to save money.

Hope this makes some sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Burnz By D/cardon, do u mean i should get the u-joint style or the cv style... Im confussed?? i think i need to ditch the CV style one hey!
Old 09-07-2008
OG Member

Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

WEll m8 I ran a D30 in the TJ for quite a while on 35MT and 36 Simex and never had a bang. Only thing that happened to me was a few broken R&P's in the rear. As far as I know the D30 in the TJ and the D30 in the WJ are basicly identical, u may have a few more issues being in NSW as u cop a bit more rock than us Mexican's. The D30 is a highly under-rated diff and axel set-up, I agree run it untill it breaks. Also a HP30 will not give you any more strength there m8, the R&P can be more prone to breakage, it will only give you better driveline angle in the front.

I will be watching this thread with VERY close interest as I LUV the Wobbly Jeep after owning the TJ and certainly looking at doing similar to A WJ in the future.

Also I can recommend the Claytons guyz, but after installing one of the first 6" TJ systems in Australia I can tell you that "a little" fabrication can turn into an absolute nightmare, especially in regards to the front end geomotery. Personally I would be using thier arms but not the full kit, get a custom track bar and drag link made from a local enginner.

Last edited by LEXX; 09-07-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Lexx the D30 in a TJ is different to a WJ i belive.. u have the HP D30 like the ZJ's

Yea if you read the claytons list above the rear end will cause some dramas by the looks of things... with the right/left hand drive issue...

And yea dont worry i know the track will need to be a home Jobbie again being a right hook!

Please keep giving me feed back mate!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

ohh and im not in NSW
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Yea thats why a HP30 is better then a D30 @ 6'' its gonna make a huge difference.... At 4.5 its not to bad u get away with it! Thats why the Jk 44's seem logical... All the $$ spent tarting up a 30 for a little bit more get the 44's in and be done with it.. seems like the smarter thing to do even if it takes longer..

at the end of the day if its out of action every other week with busted 30's then the 44's pay for them selfs