Iphone car kit install with pics to come tomorrow - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2010
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Just thinking.... would it be cheaper to buy the Modulator on the net and then buy an adaptor seperate here instead??
Old 09-06-2010
Rated the trail

Okay, installed an FM modulator and it was dead easy, theres an audio company that Peter Warren Chrysler Sydney contract out to who install them as needed in the Jeeps. They gave me some info and were somewhat helpful but never called me back with official quote and order details so they lost my business but over the phone they quoted $125 for the kit 350 installed.... so did a little digging.... bought one off the net for $42 and went and got 2 adapters for it. install was really easy alomst a plug and play. I run a 3mm to 3mm cord from the tomtom kit and ran the cord behind panels into a jack I mounted below the cigarette lighter which intern goes into the FM modulator behind the drivers pannel below the steering wheel.

The Sound is unreal and well worth every cent, drove down to the folks place (7hrs west of Sydney) without it loosing signal or fading or scratchy... nothing to even consider complaining about so there you go Indie well worth what you were talking about mate!!!
Old 14-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Jeepers, good to hear you got the modulator sorted. Any details as to what you got and from where? How much were the adaptors?

I also got a quote from Northfield here in Bris for $125 supply only. I will also source one off the net and install soon as I'm itching to use all the music now stored on my phone.
Old 15-06-2010
Rated the trail

Indie yeah no worries, I got my adapters from the same place that initially quoted me my prices..... errr think I got em for near $15 each what I was using before modulator though was a rechargable Cygnet transmitter which worked a treat too and gave me nearly the same clearity as the modulator and worked on its own battery which made it clearer then all the other ones that I tried and all fail except this one, although I had to enquire if the modulator would work here in aus (via email) and they said they'd give me one that would work but would need adaptors..... not sure if there's a difference though. Piece of cake to fit.... comes with instructions fuses and wiring all you need is soldering iron, shrink tube and you're set 1/2 hour job.... it's the poo!!
Old 15-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiedog View Post
I contacted Jeep in Bris who said they outsource to Northfield to do their stereo and phone installs. Northfield gave me some good info and options with none of them being cheap to hook the phone up to the stereo. I did learn the difference between a FM transmitter and a FM modulator however. The modulator hardwires between the vehicle's radio antennae and stereo with a splitter to allow an aux input so sound quality is much better. Price quoted by Northfield for a FM modulator was $149 with some other adapters also required. I've seen modulators on the net for considerably less but not 100% sure if they are all suitable.

Check this out - http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Audio-...4185255&sr=8-3

The other option of changing the stereo head unit requires the new head unit plus a KJ dash kit ($40). This will allow music to be played but doesn't hold the phone or charge it.

So from all of this I now think the tomtom or equivalent unit (magellan make a nice one but not available here yet) linked with a FM modulator will;

a. provide dock for phone reducing clutter
b. charge phone
c. connect phone to stereo for music selection
d. allow gps functions to be used
e. hands free calling??????? not sure.

If self installed I think it could work out for around the $200 to $250 mark. I'll let you know what else I find out.
I have purchased one of these exact ones from the USA so I will let you know how it goes!
Old 15-06-2010
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashman View Post
I have purchased one of these exact ones from the USA so I will let you know how it goes!
Good man! What's your timeframe?
Old 04-07-2010
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Crashman, any news on your modulator install? I'm itchin to know.