KJ lifts and what to expect - Page 51 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Most that work you can do yourself. Rear springs and shocks are easy. Get a place like Peddars suspension to assemble the front struts and you can swap them in a home. Never, ever, try to disassemble a strut yourself, people have been killed doing it. The real cost is labour if someone else does it for you. It takes hours to remove stuff so you can get to the strut top bolts; airbix, battrry and tray etc all have to come out and the go back. You will need an alignmnt after. If you can do the work ask for a supply only deal with Stu, and maybe get him to put the front struts together if he can.
The JBA A arms are tricky because the bolts and nuts are inside the engine bay - hope you have small hands and good tools.

Last edited by glend; 14-03-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 14-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The parts alone are around 2300, so I could save a bit of money by doing it myself. I suppose I also wanted to make sure it was done correctly and no annoying noises if I screwed up.

I have done suspensions on my Toyota Avalon as well as my Yamaha FZ8, but fitting the UCA and clevis bushes looks tricky due to lack of space.

I have used spring compressors before, and fully agree they can be extremely dangerous, especially on these massive springs.

I just purchased a ball joint separator so I can do ball joints and bushings in the future.

I probably need to work up the courage to do this.
Old 15-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Due to lack of funds, I had to go with TJM XGS GOLD for $754 (supplied by TJM Brendale). Decided on the heavy springs (0 to 50KG load). The springs are made by King Springs. I am doing it myself to save some cash. I am just in the process of getting some bushings and lower ball joint (Moog).
Old 17-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Just had a chat to Justin at TJM Brendale, and I asked him about the springs they used in comparison to the normal Kings Springs.
Justin advised that the suspension was developed by a Jeep enthusiast, and for that reason the TJM springs are slightly taller and firmer (460lbs vs 450lbs) compared to normal King Springs.

It's re-assuring to know that some thought went into the development of the suspension.

Last edited by KJ75; 17-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 17-03-2016
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Just a minute there, all of theseTJM outlets, and ARB, must comply with the same restrictions on lift heights. Btw Stu gets hs springs specially made by Kings and there are several heights and load capacities, depending on whether you have a CRD or petrol, etc. Don't believe anything these sales guys tell you, they rarely know anything other than what they are pushing. Do your research here then find a supplier.
Old 17-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

As glend has mentioned, the sales people generally dont have a clue, its the big single reason why I went with being a distributor for the CDRSTU suspension. What they say actually gels into the real world. I basically couldnt afford to keep using some of the other brands, wrong springs, missing parts, end result not as expected.

I now actually enjoy fitting suspension gear!!

Regards
Daz
Old 17-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

According to Kings Springs (I called them) they do make custom springs for TJM.
The TJM front spring for example is 770SRHD37U, and it's rated at 460lbl (slightly firmer than raised Kings).

TJM is 5KM away so getting the parts and advise should be easy. However time will tell how good (or not good the suspension is).
Post New Thread  Reply