WK2 Off Road Tyres - Page 52 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz9 View Post
Hi all
I live in a remote town in northern WA and in need of new tyres for the GC with QL. Before the dealer will order I need to part with the hard earned so I am nervous as hell about getting it wrong. Can I have your suggestions for a 65 profile 18 inch tyre that fits with QL and will not rub? Vehicle also has ARB bulbar fitted.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Gaz
I just bought five of these Hankook AT-m tyres http://www.hankooktire.com/global/li...at-m-rf10.html I had actually ordered the Bridgestone 697's but the tyre place reccommended the Hankooks on the basis of the great feedback they'd received from quarries and mines they are selling them to. Cut resistance, grip and wear were the high points. The fact that they were $250 each fitted and balanced etc was nothing to sneeze at. The 697's were quoted at $405 each. They were happy to fit either. I have not given them a workout on anything other than dirt roads so far so I can't comment on their effectiveness in mud etc. Great on the road, not a lot of noise, great grip and handling.
Old 06-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffomarinus View Post
I just bought five of these Hankook AT-m tyres http://www.hankooktire.com/global/li...at-m-rf10.html I had actually ordered the Bridgestone 697's but the tyre place reccommended the Hankooks on the basis of the great feedback they'd received from quarries and mines they are selling them to. Cut resistance, grip and wear were the high points. The fact that they were $250 each fitted and balanced etc was nothing to sneeze at. The 697's were quoted at $405 each. They were happy to fit either. I have not given them a workout on anything other than dirt roads so far so I can't comment on their effectiveness in mud etc. Great on the road, not a lot of noise, great grip and handling.
Buffo, it's probably worth noting that some Hankook AT-m tyres are LT rated and others are not. According to the OZ Hankook site , the two closest fits for our WK2s are an LT tyre in a 275/65x18 size or a non-LT (but extra load rated) tyre in the OEM size of 265/60x18. I've had the latter fitted for nearly 35,000kms and can recommend them for wear, ride, grip, low noise and price. Only one puncture so far and that was on the Plenty Hwy on a particularly rough and rocky stretch close to the Qld border, although likely more to do with my having the pressure too high. I might be tempted to try the LT version next, especially for more outback touring, although fitting that size into the spare wheel well may be a problem. Thankfully, current wear suggests it might be another 30,000kms or so before I need to decide.
Old 07-08-2015
Jeepin' is incurable....

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz9 View Post
Hi all
I live in a remote town in northern WA and in need of new tyres for the GC with QL. Before the dealer will order I need to part with the hard earned so I am nervous as hell about getting it wrong. Can I have your suggestions for a 65 profile 18 inch tyre that fits with QL and will not rub? Vehicle also has ARB bulbar fitted.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Gaz
Gaz, why are you so adamant about the need for 65? The lift gain is minimal and where you are it is unlikely to ever matter, that extra 5-10mm you've raised the undercarriage will not make a difference anywhere in remote WA I've travelled - the river is too deep or it isn't, the sand too soft or it isn't, well you get the idea.

I've enthusiastically put bigger types on a WG and an XH before this car and I can honestly say the size hasn't made one iota of difference to where I could get my car in, or out, of. I have, however, been stranded in remote NT, reliant on other travellers' goodwill to get me out when too soft a tyre (Goodyear Wrangler, theoretically an AT) meant I'd used up both spares and repaired one tyre so often it couldn't be repaired again. In fact, I'd used the Sat phone and over $100 worth of calls just to make sure some D697s were waiting for me in Katherine when we emerged from the Savannah Way and threw out the three good tyres (less than 30,000kms on them) just to swap to something more durable.

There is lots of positive feedback here about the D697, and mine have done the Gibb River Rd and the Mitchell plateau where others were shredding lesser tyres. The Hankook seem to be ok, but I've not yet read of them used in abusive shale like the Flinders, the Kimberley or the High Country.

Where you are, and considering the grief if anything goes wrong, I'd be putting durability and strength ahead of size when our options due to space are so limited. Don't forget, fitting in the spare well is also a consideration if you don't want your spare sitting on the roof 24/7.
Old 12-08-2015

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John boy View Post
Thanks
275/65/18 ?
Do they scrub the guards at all ?
I run the 275/65/18. They do rub the liners in a few places where the liners were loose but for me its tolerable.
Old 17-08-2015

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I had the 265/60/18 Hankook MT fitted prior to to starting a trip taking in the Mungo national park, Flinders Ranges, the Birdsville track and the Birdsville Developmental road to Windorah towing a 3.3T van. I cannot be happier with the choice, with appropriate tyre pressures and speeds I did not experienced any punctures or other problems. At $229 a corner I am smiling.
Old 17-08-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
Gaz, why are you so adamant about the need for 65? The lift gain is minimal and where you are it is unlikely to ever matter, that extra 5-10mm you've raised the undercarriage will not make a difference anywhere in remote WA I've travelled - the river is too deep or it isn't, the sand too soft or it isn't, well you get the idea.

I've enthusiastically put bigger types on a WG and an XH before this car and I can honestly say the size hasn't made one iota of difference to where I could get my car in, or out, of. I have, however, been stranded in remote NT, reliant on other travellers' goodwill to get me out when too soft a tyre (Goodyear Wrangler, theoretically an AT) meant I'd used up both spares and repaired one tyre so often it couldn't be repaired again. In fact, I'd used the Sat phone and over $100 worth of calls just to make sure some D697s were waiting for me in Katherine when we emerged from the Savannah Way and threw out the three good tyres (less than 30,000kms on them) just to swap to something more durable.

There is lots of positive feedback here about the D697, and mine have done the Gibb River Rd and the Mitchell plateau where others were shredding lesser tyres. The Hankook seem to be ok, but I've not yet read of them used in abusive shale like the Flinders, the Kimberley or the High Country.

Where you are, and considering the grief if anything goes wrong, I'd be putting durability and strength ahead of size when our options due to space are so limited. Don't forget, fitting in the spare well is also a consideration if you don't want your spare sitting on the roof 24/7.

Hey Bomber
The deed is done, went the 697's. Thanks for your feedback mate.
Cheers
Old 18-08-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts

Question to anyone who has done the vic high country, would you recommend AT's or MT's?