Commander 3.0l crd engine problem "PLEASE HELP" - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

Check out my post near the end of this thread http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=103977&page=4

Although I did not get the same codes as you. Suggest you take it to a jeep dealer and pay them to put the starscan tool on and run swirl motor diagnostics and check all the codes.
Old 10-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk2jdh View Post
Check out my post near the end of this thread http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=103977&page=4

Although I did not get the same codes as you. Suggest you take it to a jeep dealer and pay them to put the starscan tool on and run swirl motor diagnostics and check all the codes.
Thanks VK2, i did go down the swirl motor road at one stage but lost interest when all the other swirl issues had different code thrown. I have learned now that the codes aren't always right, especially with a scan tool. When i took it to the jeep dealer originally, they whacked a scan tool on it & told me what i already knew, it was throwing a P2121 code. But when the tyre guy told us that scan tools are not accurate, especially with jeep & they are now hooked to a laptop linked directly to jeep, they are alot more thorougher. Hopefully. I know there is a fair bit of oil on the swirl motor, i can see it from where i have had the turbo intake of a number of times. I was going to wash down the engine but am worried about the electronics?
it would be like hosing a computer. it's booked in on Friday so we will see. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 24-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Ok. Let’s update the ongoing operation "fix Commander" saga. Took it to the dealership & explained my case. On the way there it surged terribly all the way & faulted out half way there. The dealership is about 1.5 hrs from home. They had it for 4 days, drove & tested but could not find anything wrong apart from the code stored in the EMC. Finally rang me & said "we think we have fixed it". We have all heard that before. I sent my wife to pick it up, with the $590 it cost, & she said it surged all the way home & faulted out about the same distance. So I rang the Jeep dealership & told them the bad news. He informed me what i already new. The next step in Jeeps testing procedure is to replace the EMC. Back to square 1. Here’s the issue. The EMC cannot be tested. The only way i can find out if the unit is playing up is buy a new one ($6800.00) & have it installed by jeep as it has to be uploaded with all the information from Chrysler direct ($480) & then hold my breath. If then on my way home it faults out again, bad luck big fella, electrical parts have no refund. But hey, we have worked out it's not the EMC. That’s what i was told. So I spat the dummy. The end result, they are going to talk to the Chrysler rep to see what he can do. Still waiting.
Old 28-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

So rang Jeep today, no help at all from them. I guess i will have to buy a EMC & hope for the best. At the moment i have a $40000 boat anchor sitting in the shed.
I am fast developing a hatred for Jeeps.
Old 28-06-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Commander boat anchors

Hi, have followed your problems with interest for awhile now as I have had a 2006 Commander boat anchor off the road for almost 18 months. Gave up on Penrith Jeep, all their 'solutions' are about $7000.00. ( The first 'solution' happened 1 month out off warranty and was finally paid for by Chrysler).This current problem started again just over 12 months later and guess what???..again no help from Jeep. Couldn't afford the $6800.00 (discounted to $5700.00 after pleading/arguing) .Tried various other mechanics to no avail, then a friend who had dealings with Gladesville Automotive ( Danny 0298797260)and highly recommended them ( I live in the Blue Mountains so a long way).To cut the story short, the problem turned out to be the turbo actuator, can only be checked visually as codes for this not showing (every other code was)This guy has the patience to physically systematically check the whole system.Your part is rebuilt in UK with lifetime guarantee for about AUS$600.00 there an back. His cost was very reasonable, but I needed tows and a battery etc so cant give you a price. Hope this helps ,ask if u need more info. Running perfect now for over 2 months and has been to snow.
Old 29-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin24651 View Post
Hi, have followed your problems with interest for awhile now as I have had a 2006 Commander boat anchor off the road for almost 18 months. Gave up on Penrith Jeep, all their 'solutions' are about $7000.00. ( The first 'solution' happened 1 month out off warranty and was finally paid for by Chrysler).This current problem started again just over 12 months later and guess what???..again no help from Jeep. Couldn't afford the $6800.00 (discounted to $5700.00 after pleading/arguing) .Tried various other mechanics to no avail, then a friend who had dealings with Gladesville Automotive ( Danny 0298797260)and highly recommended them ( I live in the Blue Mountains so a long way).To cut the story short, the problem turned out to be the turbo actuator, can only be checked visually as codes for this not showing (every other code was)This guy has the patience to physically systematically check the whole system.Your part is rebuilt in UK with lifetime guarantee for about AUS$600.00 there an back. His cost was very reasonable, but I needed tows and a battery etc so cant give you a price. Hope this helps ,ask if u need more info. Running perfect now for over 2 months and has been to snow.
Thanks paladin for you interest. I am at wits end with this car. I love the car & want to fix it & keep it but I have never had so many brick walls thrown up in front of me. Jeep should be ashamed with their procedures to fix these types of cars. I followed a tread on a forum in the US where a guy took a Commander to his local dealership with similar problems & they replaced the throttle position censor, EGR, Swirl & now they are looking to replace the turbo. No idea. Just keep replacing stuff until it’s fixed. I am a mechanic by trade but this electrical stuff is beyond me. I would like to learn more about it. I asked them if there was any way i could test the TPC, the answer was to replace it. I will definitely give Danny a ring as any help is great. Were you symptoms the same as mine? If not what where yours? I have also noticed the car is now surging at speed & idle. I am not going to let this beat me. Wish me luck.
Old 29-06-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey sorry to here have just read everything. I wouldve done n insurance job on it just because the egr valve has been replaced doesnt mean its working would check it again. Check the voltage out put to the wires to the sensors on the engine as the ecu voltage varies to each sensor i think. Um…check air filter and fuEl filter as there may be a restriction or u may have shit fuel. When u say surging while driving can u explain that better. Dont buy a computer for it yet be the last thing id do for that price. Earth connections on something important as ur problem comes and goes…cant think of anything else at the moment.
Post New Thread  Reply