So you want a Long Armed WJ- Its Hard! - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2008
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy View Post
.. u have the HP D30 like the ZJ's
err most ZJ's I;ve seen have the LP D30....and it;s a different LP to the TJ cause the TJ has a short pinion (185mm) compared to the ZJ long (205mm) pinion ...there are a LOT of different d30's ....
Oh yeah I agree with Lexx, generally they are under rated.
Old 09-07-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I assume you have considered Ironrocks long arm kit ? Cause its bolt in where as claytons is weld on & requires cutting original mounts off ,so theres no going back if you get defected.
Also I have heard of lots of people running 33" on d30 ,with the cv or axle breaking if anything (depends a lot on driving style).
I can understand the lure off those JK diffs tho, it would be a great setup.
Old 09-07-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy View Post
I've already got the D/cardon joint.. std on 02 - 04 i belive..

I have just been hearing soo many things about the D30 going "bang"!!!

The reality is the D30 is not a HP so its gonna cause dramas at 6' it seems its prob better value to get the 6' complete kit, from claytons

i e-mailed claytons to see what they reckon about what diffs all the guys on mallcrawlin reckon your dreaming if u wanna run a locked D30 with 33's MRGC however in saying that my current 32's will be fine and they are plenty tall enough ( there as tall as a procomp 33 just dont have the same width ) so i could be ok there however if i get the complete 6' lift then im gonna be dieing to run a 33 or 34 like the kit is intended for.. then Bang!

This is why i didnt lock the D30 a few months ago cause me and the gal decided we're gonna trick this thing and get her a car.

The JK's seem great value cause the come already with 4:10 and the electronic locka's.... Now if you tuffen up the D30 with those axels + gears + lock's thats gonng be close to $2.5 grand ?? yea ??? ( what do u reckon ) and that will eventually break

however D44's IRO sell for $3k complete with everything inc WJ caliper conversion ( something else i wanna look into ) im waiting for a call back from my local 4x4 shop to see what they can get them for.. will be interesting...

uhhh need more coffee brains fried again, cheak some of the cars on the claytons site, most of these guys are on mall crawlin and they were starting off with D30's 44a's however thats old info on the claytons site it seems cause they all doing JK swaps now... I dont know what to do about the JK's being 1.2inch wider as well i dont wanna have something that the boys and gals in blue dont like the look of.. even though its now only a weekender!

Ive seen you over there on mallcrawlin, and read the replies, but theres one guy on there that has a very good setup and was on jeeps unlimited but more active with mallcrawlin community, he has 6.5" lift with d30 u-joint axles and hes the one that suggested it is strong enough and running 35" I believe do a bit more research you will find him and ask him about your queries.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 09-07-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Forget to mention its no easy task installing the jk44 diffs, if your not doing it yourself add that to the budget.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
err most ZJ's I;ve seen have the LP D30....and it;s a different LP to the TJ cause the TJ has a short pinion (185mm) compared to the ZJ long (205mm) pinion ...there are a LOT of different d30's ....
Oh yeah I agree with Lexx, generally they are under rated.
yea ok sorry dave... i dont know all the numbers .. i was just saying there different ....

so what your saying is that you would run the D30 dave???
Old 09-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Forget to mention its no easy task installing the jk44 diffs, if your not doing it yourself add that to the budget.
Come on Mrgc........

guys for the sceptics, i might not know all the numbers on diffs ect but i know what sort of a build im taking on... the reason i ask the Q. is the last build i did i did all off my own back and i look back now and will never spend thousands of $$ with out getting other peoples opinions......

Plus this is the 1st 4x4 i have modified i am from the car world (and my charger is my next big project) until 2 yrs ago so forgive my lack of knowledge on the 4x4 front with some things...

i just want to do it properly and once, i dont want to f ark around doing things twice and spending money twice

MRGC i can do most the work my self bar fabricating and i have 2 qualified chassis welders who weld for a living so ill be getting one of them to weld for me.

I dont mind doing the 44 swap if required however if the current diff's would last with 33' and possible a 34 and locked then id keep them obviously the less i have to change the better

Last edited by hemijeepy; 09-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Cpage66 has been running long arms on his WJ for years, he's busted the transfercase and CV's but no diff damage (although we thought the front diff was buggered but turns out it was the tcase) He is was going to put in a NP231 with teralow but the input shaft is too short and there isn't enough room for an adapter so I think the current plan was a NP242. Oh and he runs 33's and if you've seen him drive the V8 you'll know he doesn't take it easy

Cheers
Steve