Looking for an XJ - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2014
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Looking for an XJ

Got any pics?
Old 30-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks, unfortunately no pics other than one shot from a distance. Might go have a look.

I figure at that price even if it needed a new motor I'd still be better off than the high prices running ones are fetching here. As long as the body is decent and everything else at least works (electrics etc).
Old 02-02-2014
Established Member

Off to look at a 98 LTD, unmodified with full service history and no problems. I've read a fair bit now on what to check in an xj and I'm wondering how critical is a proper mechanical inspection? Is it not a biggie as they are easy/cheap to fix and get parts for or a huge no-no?

I've either got though knowledge to get me by or enough to be dangerous..
Old 02-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

To each his own when it comes to these beasts...

Best advice I can recall is buy at a reasonable price and set some money aside. These are tough, reliable cars with well documented maintenance requirements/known weak points.

I bought my '99 on the back of a thorough once over with a buddy and a short drive. Checked everything worked as it should and haggled a good price.

I only paid $3K in August last year (in Adelaide) but fully expected to spend $$ from day 1.

For the record the day i picked it up I replaced the battery (shot), tyres (shot) and planned my upgrades from there. I expected to have to spend some money on cooling system even though it was ok at the end of winter and sure enough have had to replace the radiator, thermostat, waterpump and hoses.

I wasn't expecting to have the AC compressor fail on me but it did - no huge surprise and popped a new serpentine belt on at the same time.

I dropped the engine oil and replaced the oil and airfilters at first opportunity and have since done all other fluids as preventative maintenance.

Front discs and pads are about to be replaced in the next fortnight.

I fully expect to have to replace some sensors at some point so will be oredering these in to have on hand when the time comes.

Also, I'll be doing an ignition tune up very soon, new plugs, leads, coil, dizzy etc.

When everything else is 100% Tip Top i will do a proper suspension lift and a new exhaust with extractors.

By the time I'm done getting the XJ up to scratch and lightly modified I reckon I'll have about $7k sunk into her (yep more on keeping her going than on buying her!) which is pretty good value i reckon for a comfortable, capable daily driver that can go bush when nature calls!

I guess the appeal in these rigs is that they can be worked on at home (I'm no mechanic btw) and are pretty reliable for the most part, they just need a little love and understanding. Bear in mind that even the last of the updates are getting on now and you WILL spend money and time somewhere along the way
Also I love the fact that i can do an oil and filter change for less than $20 if i buy at the right time (have 2 spare oil filters from promotions now)...much nicer than the $150+ on my other car.

Someone around here put it like this - budget a couple of grand for maintenance/repairs on top of the purchase price and if there's money left after 3 months or so start modding!

Last edited by CreepersJeepers; 02-02-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2014
Established Member

Thanks CreepersJeepers, interesting to hear your experience and I think I'm going in eyes open, with $$ aside for maintenance as well as mods. This ones a tad more than I was looking to pay but it needs no immediate work, it's fully serviced and everything works, even the tyres are decent.

I actually went and checked it out, drove well, great condition, seems well looked after. Log book hasn't been updated in a long time (seems common for whatever reason), but current owner was able to show me the last few years worth of itemised service invoices, which were all clear (in fact it had an injector service a few months ago).

The only thing holding me back at this stage is if I should keep looking for one with an 8.25 or not worry about it and factor in the 8.8 upgrade later. At this stage I'm thinking I might just grab it as it's otherwise spot on. Price is $5k.

Going to sleep on it!
Old 03-02-2014
Established Member

Ok, slept on it and rang back today to put a deposit down, subject to DarrenR giving it the thumbs up.

I'm fairly confident from my check it's fine, but thought best to be on the safe side with a 15 year old 4x4.

Here it is btw. One thing I just noticed and thought was a little odd was no cruise control buttons on the wheel, was it an option on the limited? Not a big deal as it can easily and cheaply be added later as I understand it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north...4x4/1037682389

Looking forward to my third Jeep!
Old 03-02-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks like a sport with all the grey body mouldings on the outside with some limited seats and woodgrain bits thrown inside. All Limiteds had cruise std as well. Pretty exe for a high k non limited in my opinion.