Touring in a JK - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMichaela View Post
Good on you Steve, our JK is setup similar to yours and i would recomend all the mods you have done too,

Just a question, how do you find the exhaust when driving along tracks where the grass has grown in the middle. At one point I had smoke billowing up from under the car when i stopped because of the smell. It is very vulnerable where it crosses the car and I was going to make up a bash plate/deflecter to brush the grass and rocks out of the way. Also have you fitted the front diff braces at the knuckle to strengthen the diffs for prolonged corrigations? That was the other thing on my list

Enjoy

Rob
We have so far not had a problem with grass burning/smokeing on the exhaust, we do steer well clear of parking the Jeep amoungst tall grass for the same reason and we carry a pressure bottle filled with water that we have ready to spray if we have the problem along with 2 fire extinguishers (one fitted on the tailgate and the other fitted at the passengers seat.) With the 2"lift , the 1"body lift and the extra height of the bigger tyres we find it easy to duck under at every oportunity and clean out any grass and branches that gather under the JK.

As far as reinforcing diffs, we have bent the front axle tubes on the Gibb River Road corregations but that proved to be because they were not welded into the diff pumpkins on the production line (another story) we did have a diff girdle welded into the front diff assembly after it was straightened but we have not yet thought it nescessary to weld up some stiffeners at the knuckels. Will watch that and maybe its a mod before the next trip.

These exchanges are the reason we are posting our trip stories here, I have just been told by e-mail that some of the previous detractors are due back from being banned sooner rather than later and I apoligise in advance as soon as he returns with his poisonious remarks we are out of here. As I have said before; my writing on theses forums is shared with my lovely wife Carol, and I dont need her reading the foul rubbish he expounds.

Steve and Carol.
Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgp View Post
We have so far not had a problem with grass burning/smokeing on the exhaust, we do steer well clear of parking the Jeep amoungst tall grass for the same reason and we carry a pressure bottle filled with water that we have ready to spray if we have the problem along with 2 fire extinguishers (one fitted on the tailgate and the other fitted at the passengers seat.) With the 2"lift , the 1"body lift and the extra height of the bigger tyres we find it easy to duck under at every oportunity and clean out any grass and branches that gather under the JK.

As far as reinforcing diffs, we have bent the front axle tubes on the Gibb River Road corregations but that proved to be because they were not welded into the diff pumpkins on the production line (another story) we did have a diff girdle welded into the front diff assembly after it was straightened but we have not yet thought it nescessary to weld up some stiffeners at the knuckels. Will watch that and maybe its a mod before the next trip.

These exchanges are the reason we are posting our trip stories here, I have just been told by e-mail that some of the previous detractors are due back from being banned sooner rather than later and I apoligise in advance as soon as he returns with his poisonious remarks we are out of here. As I have said before; my writing on theses forums is shared with my lovely wife Carol, and I dont need her reading the foul rubbish he expounds.

Steve and Carol.
Cheers Steve,

I will jump under the car fingers crossed that ours is welded, we have the bigger rubber and lift too, the tracks of the high country after the fires from a few years ago were the biggest problems where small sapplings had grown in the middle, after the first time we learnt to regularly stop and clen it out.

I have been round forums for a while so I am used to getting the good with the bad, but thanks for the warning

Rob
Old 27-03-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

steve can you tell me where the wlds in the front axle are exactly. had a look under mine where the axle tubes go into the pumpkin or diff housing there was no sign of any welds at all. there were some holes in the pumkin about 30 mm across so you could see the tube was well and truly inserted into the housing but could not see any sign of any welding at all anywhere, doesnt seem to be a fault in mine (07), just not there.
Old 27-03-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmmm U have me worried now, I was just going to mount a roof top tent, build some draws for the rear and head out there, might have to start collecting pics of diff braces so i can make a set up before i head to far out. What brand did u go for?
Old 27-03-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

redgp
Great to hear about your trip. Sounds fantastic.
With luck we will load up and head to perth, up to darwin, down to ayres rock in 18 months. Being young and cheap we fit a matteress in the back and sleep in the back. Did it in a X-trail for 3 years, now feels like a motel room with the extra size.
Enjoy the travels
Old 27-03-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

REdgp: re fuel (petrol) use. With the trailer (weight about 750kg fully laden) and at about 100km/hr I return about 6km/litre (petrol) and sometimes better if a tail wind. I get about 8.5km/litre at 100Km/hr unladen and no trailer, so its not too bad. I can get a bit better than 7km/litre if I travel at 90km/hr. The speedo is out about 5km/hr (too fast) at these speeds. Cheers.
Old 28-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Morning all,

Got a bit busy yesterday evening, hunting and gathering!
Filled the fridge, so was enjoyable.

Woke this morning to windy conditions so we have changed our plans...we are of to Lake Eyre, they tell us its filling and its a sight to see. A man knows a man who knows a man that has a plane that will take us up to have a good look from the air. Piccy time.

Might have a look at Woomera and around whilst we are at it, proberbly a week or so and will be out of range of this next g internet so will have to say bye for now and see you in a week or so.

busy, busy .. got to pack up, will get back to answer the questions above when I log back on.

Cheers, Steve and Carol
Post New Thread  Reply