Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 60 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-05-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default Just repair it yourself

Wow $800.00 to replace the actuator by the dealer
Rock auto lists the 4WD actuator for $US34.00. but I think people really mean the transfer case motor.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...parttype,10456

I replaced the transfer case motor from Rock Auto for $240.00, it would not take a mechanic longer than 30 minutes.
Those extended warranties I think are just a money making tool for the dealers.

Maybe just bring the part over direct and get the job done.

Last edited by hotqld; 17-05-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 17-05-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the reassuring information . We have decided to give it a go . Hopefully by the time we get back from up in the NT something else may have come up. roscea we were planning to do a bit of the Savanah way Cheers George
Old 20-05-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

bjm, I posted my info today.
Old 21-05-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default Unplug Procedure to clear N23 gremlin

After my second DTC clearing visit to the dealer the dreaded "Service 4WD System" fault came-up again after only 2 hours.

I tried the unplug procedure, as advised by Clarky, again. This time I put the auto trans in neutral as per bjm's tip. It worked! I have now had 4WD LO available for the last three days over 500km of varied driving.

Prior to that I tried pulling the fuse with the key in the On position and transmission in Neutral. That didn't clear the fault. The unplug procedure did not work in Neutral after I had already done it in Park. Maybe unplugging while in Park brought-up another code that prevented the unplug procedure working until all the codes were cleared or maybe battery voltage was the problem.

A Google search revealed the N23 problem seems to be world-wide but Jeep are denying their recall caused it! The truth seems to be that the flash update reduced the tolerance on the 5V actuator signal to a band that is narrower than the variation commonly seen in service.

I don't know if the battery voltage influences the 5V signal but I will keep an eye on it to see if low battery voltage correlates with the appearance of the fault. My Jeep is hard on the battery and drags it down while it sits idle, which as our second vehicle it does frequently. It may be coincidence but the unplug procedure was effective after I recharged the Jeep battery. Is it conceivable that a solar panel could prevent transfer case actuator faults by maintaining the battery voltage?

I want the equipment to detect and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes myself. The dash display apparently only shows generic OBD2 faults. It doesn’t display any of my active codes. I have OBD2 Bluetooth dongles that communicate with my Windows laptop but have been unable to find software that detects and clears Jeep transmission codes. Torque Pro, for about $5 downloaded to my Android phone, is the only software I found that detected my 5 active powertrain codes via a dongle. It does not find or clear the two transmission codes C1405 and C140F caused by the N23 update. It trialled at least four Windows software applications (OBDwiz, TouchScan, ScanMaster and ScanTool - maybe others I forgot). None of these could even detect a disconnected air flow meter or faulty glow plugs that Torque Pro detected. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knows of affordable software that is fully compatible with the Jeep, because I am sick of requesting refunds for software that didn't live-up to the seller's claim. (I did spot an iPhone app for Jeep analysis but I have not tried it because I don't own any suitable hardware.)

In the mean-time unplugging will restore my transfer case control, thanks to Clarky & bjm.

Last edited by Redbaron57; 22-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 21-05-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
affordable software

I have https://www.autoenginuity.com/ & it does read the transmission codes.
It has the ability to adjust factory settings & to turn on/off options like fog lights, heated seats etc. BUT it also allows you to disable/enable stuff that should be left alone (don't ask me how I know that ) so caution should be used with this program.

I have been considering this as well http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301037698...84.m1423.l2649
After ozjeepster said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Superchips flashcal works on the crd , iv used mine to read and clear codes on other jeeps I just cant flash there trucks because it is vin locked to my Jeep
Want to be the guineapig to see if it works?
Old 21-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Is it conceivable that a solar panel could prevent transfer case actuator faults by maintaining the battery voltage?
I've had 160W of solar panels on the roof for ~50Kkm (~140Kkm on the clock now.). They're charging two optimas, so night-time open circuit voltage is around ~12.7-12.9V, during daylight they're usually float-charging around 13.8V.

I haven't had any FDCM/actuator faults, but I also don't have the N23 update .

That-said; I'm not sure how the 5V circuit is regulated, but it's hard to image it being affected by a low "12V". The additional current drawn regulating 5V from 11V instead of an expected 13V (just for example.) should be insignificant for automotive components.
It'd also only be an issue when the FDCM first powers-up, prior to the alternator energising.

Quote:
I want the equipment to detect and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes myself. The dash display apparently only shows generic OBD2 faults. It doesn’t display any of my active codes. I have OBD2 Bluetooth dongles that communicate with my Windows laptop but have been unable to find software that detects and clears Jeep transmission codes. Torque Pro, for about $5 downloaded to my Android phone, is the only software I found that detected my 5 active powertrain codes via a dongle. It does not find or clear the two transmission codes C1405 and C140F caused by the N23 update. It trialled at least four Windows software applications (OBDwiz, TouchScan, ScanMaster and ScanTool - maybe others I forgot). None of these could even detect a disconnected air flow meter or faulty glow plugs that Torque Pro detected. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knows of affordable software that is fully compatible with the Jeep, because I am sick of requesting refunds for software that didn't live-up to the seller's claim. (I did spot an iPhone app for Jeep analysis but I have not tried it because I don't own any suitable hardware.)
Our jeeps are tricky; not all codes are escalated to the PCM as true DTCs, and when they are, not all or accurate details are included.
ie, the PCM may report a DTC such as "Transmission solenoid 1 voltage high" (that's not a real DTC btw), and the TCM (transmission control module.) may be holding it's own code(s) with the "real" details of that DTC.
Basically at the end of the day, for software to read, clear and understand all the codes reliably, a fair-bit of money needs to change hands (eventually finding it's way Chrysler.) for the protocol & code specs - Which means that cheap software is unlikely.
It's possible to figure things out without the Chrysler specs, but it's a minefield so if a software developer went down that path it'd most-likely end up costing more.

SuperChips seem to have the best position in the market, good investment IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky
I have been considering this as well http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301037698...84.m1423.l2649
After ozjeepster said this
I have a Flashpaq 3875, if you want to see if it can clear the N23 codes first. According to chatter on the US forums it works for the hemi.
Have you heard of anyone trying it on the CRD yet?
If the codes are stored & cleared in the FDCM (rather than the TCM.), it might work, since the FDCM setup is the same between the Hemis and CRDs. Otherwise probably wouldn't work if the TCM is involved, since it's integrated with the PCM in the hemis and a separate module in the CRDs.
Old 24-05-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

Had a call from NSWDFT re my N23 case .Gentleman said unfortunately FC would not acknowledge their correspondence and was one of the worst companies in this regard with a high number of complaints.If you cannot communicate you cannot mediate.!!He also stated that FC are leaving themselves wide open for a claim of consequential damages and or parts replacement and or costs which can now be done legally outside the FC network as per the 2011 Australian Consumer Laws.I will now start legal action.
Post New Thread  Reply