KK steel bullbar - Page 60 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
If you want to avoid a second battery have a look at a "Braille B7548" its a AGM & start battery in one 945 CCA

http://www.batterybusiness.com.au/st...ct_detail/7213

I have been using one for almost a year and couldn't be happier.
Speak to Peter at Battery Business he knows his stuff
Really appreciate the info, Clarky.

Though that battery is a few hundred bucks dearer, it's higher in CCA rating, smaller in size and lower in weight!

A five-year warranty is another plus to me.

I would definitely like to give it a try if my current NRMA batt gave away. (As it has just past its 2-year warranty.)
Warn Zeon 12 Winch
Old 12-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Uneek bullbar

Had a Uneek bullbar fitted to my KK by Tony at USA 4x4 yesterday. Thank you to David at Uneek and Tony.
Old 12-09-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seewhat17 View Post
Had a Uneek bullbar fitted to my KK by Tony at USA 4x4 yesterday. Thank you to David at Uneek and Tony.
Pics or we don't believe you!
Old 11-10-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Default KK steel bullbar

I'll start by saying the Uneek KK bash plate needs a redesign. I could see two potential issues when I originally fitted the bar and both of those were realised by the dealer today. If you have this accessory and a 3.7 KK then be aware of the following:

Firstly the service guy tells me that the already hard to replace oil filter is now even harder to change as the bash has to also be removed, but that's wasn't his issue. It was putting it back on!

To remove said item you have to undo 11 bolts, 8 of those also secure the winch cradle to the Jeep and these screw into two nut plates. So when all these bolts are undone the plates are loose in the chassis rails and are an absolute prick to get the bolts back into as the nut plates are not accessible. They said it added over half an hour in labour.

So Dave, if/when you make some more please design it so only 4 bolts secure the bash plate to the chassis rails.

The second issue didn't even come to the attention of the service staff and frankly it frightens me how totally mindless dealer technicians can be.

I was driving the Jeep home and noticed the steering was a bit strange and the aircon seemed louder than usual, even after I turned it off....?? The sound I'm hearing was power steering fluid being forced through a completely squashed hose jammed between the radiator and the bash plate.

This hose is one of the two that run to the cooler element and the noise it was making is very significant so how the boofheads in the workshop didn't pick up on it is beyond me. Not sure what could be changed on the plate to prevent this so I'll probably use the dremel to cut a channel around the radiator and secure the hoses in place with zip ties.

Fingers crossed no permanent damage was caused to the power steering pump, etc.

Last edited by KKnut; 11-10-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The oil filters on petrol KKs could only be removed from underneath? My diesel oil filter is located near the air filter, lucky me.

Not sure if diesel KKs will experience the second issue that KKnut has mentioned.
Warn Zeon 12 Winch
Old 12-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Hope no damage was done to your car KKnut! It's a super tight squeeze in there with those two power steering hoses isn't it! Let us know what you end up doing to fix it.

I'll deff be pointing these problems out to the service guys next visit and triple checking it before I drive it off the lot!!!

Not sure what Uneek could do considering the dimensions of the area but perhaps he can work some magic for future batches and improve it a bit. That bash-plate has taken a couple of solid hits already and I know it's saved me some damage so I'll forgive it's few minor issues for now
Old 14-11-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, KKnut, for the advice regarding the bashplate and servicing.

I just had my petrol KK serviced last week and made sure they were aware that the bashplate might cause some issues. They said they were able to loosen the bolts and lower the bashplate slightly and this was enough to get the oil filter out without removing the whole assembly. To be honest, the oil filter is in a shocking location. I can't see how they get at it at all.

The first thing I checked after the service was the power steering hoses. All okay... this time.

Again, thanks for the advice. Prevention is always better than cure.
Post New Thread  Reply