Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 64 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The tyre size is always based on the writing on the side. ie, a 245/75 r17 is 245mm wide and 31.6in diameter to the fun police, no matter what it actually measures.

How wide can you go? On a solid axle up to 50% wider, but it must not touch suspension or body under any circumstances and tread must be covered under the mudguard (the bulge of the sidewall can stick out), and wheel track can not be widened by more than 50mm.

Is that what you were asking?

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 20-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
I think the bilstein 5100 will provide a better on road ride than the Poly performance synergy.

But, if it is flex you are after, the Poly Performance Synergy shocks are longer than the longest available Bilstein 5100. You need to upgrade to the Bilstein 5160 to get more shock travel than the Poly Performance Synergy shocks.

See the following spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...en&output=html
PPM are the Synergy shocks.
E578 and E157 are the longest available 5100.
Thanx for info, but if Im reading it correctly the front is better with the bilsteins the rear ppm are longer, my choice will always be bilstein no matter what Ive been thru too many brands of shocks and when I got bilsteins never looked back and will do it again, the problem is to get the best one to suit 2" - 2.5" of lift and what springs to match it with.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 21-03-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Thanx for info, but if Im reading it correctly the front is better with the bilsteins the rear ppm are longer, my choice will always be bilstein no matter what Ive been thru too many brands of shocks and when I got bilsteins never looked back and will do it again, the problem is to get the best one to suit 2" - 2.5" of lift and what springs to match it with.
You'd want at least 2.5" MINIMUM lift for the E578 and E175 combo in my humble opinion.
Old 21-03-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lifts

U will need very long coils to use the 27 - 28" shocks no matter what brand u use. And longer coils generally mean larger lifts. It is very difficult to get a very long 2" coil. PPm coils are probably the only ones that offer long enough coils to allow 27 or 28" shocks in a 2" variety, although you are more likely to get 3" from them, especially without accessories.

Quote:
You'd want at least 2.5" MINIMUM lift for the E578 and E175 combo in my humble opinion.
Old 21-03-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight View Post
I have gone through all of the material that the victorian fun police have and can't find anywhere where the 'tread' width of a tyre is mentioned.

From the rule book I have, the width of a tyre is from the bit the sticks out the most in simple terms.

is there any basis for the references to the tread width or is it just a point that might get you off if you are lucky?
VSI 8 is the rules for vehicle modification in Victoria

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

The last para of page 3 and then onto page 4 is what you are looking for. Your bodywork or guards must cover the section width of the tyre with the wheels in the straight ahead position. The section width is the distance between the outsides of the sidewalls of an inflated tyre minus any lettering or ribs.

I'd always read this as you're safe if your tread is under the guards but on closer reading this might not be so.
Old 21-03-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default as I suspected

That is the doc I have as well from the traffic fun police.

I think you are right in what you now see as what it says. ignoring letters and ribs, the outside of the tyre is the bit that sticks out the most and simply if the tyre is wider than the guard, the tyre is in breach of the regs.

I see them every day and don't have the time or inclination to cause them grief, but they should not argue when the fun police do their job enforcing the rules that are really quite clear.

blame the wowser nanny state politicians and not the poorly paid plod who is just trying to do his job.

thanks for your replies on the topic.

may we all fly under the radar.
Old 21-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Yes there the ones I was thinking as well, now have to look for what springs i still like the mopar USA version but no one will separate the kit.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply