driving with your doors off = cops - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
really difficult to believe the atention this bloke is getting. in this country vehicles require doors with side intrusion bars to make them legal. in spite of that, this bloke drives about with no doors (no side protection), no side mirrors (rear vision impaired for lane changing etc) and windscreen down (rear vision mirror is attached to windscreen leaving him with no rear vision at all) and the wind blowing in his face. even if he wears sunglasses he is still liable to get dust in his eyes and wind in his eyes impairing his vision totally. a bloody menace on the road and a danger to all road users. if he hasn't got the brains to put his vehicle in proper safe condition when driving on city and suburban roads he should be banned from driving for the safety of the general public.

All that is actually dependant on the construction of the vehicle and any ADRs/State Rules in place ..... and if someone is dumb enough to drive on main roads at posted limit speeds with the screen down.

Motorbikes dont have side intrusion bars ... nor bicycles ... so whats the big deal with doors off on a vehicle with a chassis.

Its a flawed law and pertains primarily to monocoque passenger vehicles.

An individuals driving style is normally the main reason for attention by the authorities.

As mirrors are normally affixed to the doors on motorvehicles ... a police officer would naturally presume ... no doors / no mirrors ... ESPECIALLY if he cant see any other externally mounted mirrors.

The same applies if the windscreen was folded down .... the screen mounted mirror would be ineffective making the vehicle unroadworthy ... unless you made a new mounting bracket for that mirror ... so that it can be swiveled and give sufficient rear vision between the seats ... worked OK on a TJ and was legal for NPWS tracks ... which are "public roads" requiring registered, "roadworthy" vehicles.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 17-08-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 17-08-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just a note from Drivers manual states to have windscreen up and fitted correctly and if you remove doors dont have them in the vehicle,

Half soft door.

Good choice mirror relocation.
Old 17-08-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDi View Post
So,for those who truly wish to drop their windscreen & remove doors, just get yourself a rear vision mirror that screws on to the top of the dash (a removable suction cup would be even better - Silly Solly's may even sell a bathroom or vanity mirror of this type that could suffice) & mirror relocation brackets, how hard can it be? Then, the next time this happens all interested Jeepers can all converge on the Court & get this sorted once & for all

Oh, & David, what you say about even if wearing sunnies, getting dust in the eyes etc. - there's no law against that, motorcyclists are allowed to wear open faced helmets with or without goggles & they usually go a little faster than the av. TJ
pretty much the only people you see riding with open face helmets are outlaw bike members and harley riders trying to look tough and pretend to be outlaw bikers. pretty much every one else is smart enough to use a full face helmet. owned and rode 8 motor bikes over a long period of time, (never owned a harley, i prefer bikes that work to image machines that made a loud noise and break down). as soon as full face helmets were available i bought one and the last one a wore was an Arai (look at grand prix racing and super car race drivers) which cost over a thousand bucks. bike laws are a bit slow catching up, but anyone with any brains wears a full face. the ones who don't quite often wind up with no brains after a drop or no face.
Old 17-08-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but let's get real. there are some things you just don't do as a matter of common sense. rather than because it's not illegal. suicide isn't an offence either, but smart people don't go jumping off cliffs just because there's no law against it.
Old 17-08-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I'd prefer people driving near me have mirrors on their vehicles. My 76 Range Rover didn't have a passenger side door mirror, was it safe and cool not to have one, I didn't think so and wasted no time fitting one.

As far as intrusion bars goes, nice in theory but that also means anyone could just rip the doors off a 68 Kingswood or any other pre-intrusion bar vehicle and and drive around without them as long as they fitted a drivers side mirror as most cars that age didn't come with a passenger side mirror. You could probably drive around with the windscreen out on one of them too as long as the rearview mirror was still in place and maybe you fitted a deflector. I've driven a Landrover with no roof in the rain and even with sunglasses on it's not cool, windscreen or not, you can't see where you are going safely. Motor cycles have full helmets for a good reason or decent goggles

Good luck with the magical approval document from Main Roads, because AFAIK no one else has anything in writing yet, you might be able to get a engineering mod plate for it perhaps?

I would love half doors myself some HD alloy checkerplate ones would be nice, as even offroad I see the need to keep my legs functional. Some protection is better than none.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............

Last edited by BrisNut; 17-08-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 17-08-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
pretty much the only people you see riding with open face helmets are outlaw bike members and harley riders trying to look tough and pretend to be outlaw bikers.
Smiles, David, that is the biggest generalisation ... you forgot SCOOTER/Vespa riders Couldn't agree more about the stupidity of not wearing a full-face though after seeing that totally faceless guy who was laying wide awake on a hospital bed with shocked bright blue eyes on rotten.com

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall suicide is an offence if you fail & get caught ... but then it wouldn't be suicide would it

Brisnut lmao, you can't go ripping doors off old Holdens & Falcons because they weren't designed to be lifted on & off at whim & weren't complianced that way, Wranglers were.

Oh, and Davidd ... "Loud Pipes (read H-D's) Save Lives - Rice Burner (read Ninga Ninga's) take 'em" imo.
Old 17-08-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

must admit i'm not a fan of many rice burners, otherwise known as rocketships or plastic fantastics. even the small 250's have an awesome speed in some makes. the big 1200's and stuff with a top speed around 300kph are a real worry. have ridden some (never owned one) and i consider them dangerous. the w.a police used yamaha 1200's for a couple of years and sold them as the accident rate of it's traffic cops rose dramatically. and these are some of the most highly trained riders you will find anywhere. only bikes i owned were standard traditional style. even these will top 200kph and get there in extremely fast time. comfortable to ride and as we bikers used to say about bike performance they were "quick enough to get you into trouble and quick enough to get you out of it". oh, and bloody vespas should be banned. tiny wheels and a high centre of gravity. too dangerous.
Post New Thread  Closed Thread