DPF Problems - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
Tasmania uses hydro. I’m not waiting on new EV for Jeep. I have already started putting together my EV conversion for my TJ.
Hydro, wind and solar and I believe has the cheapest power in Australia while the coal burning states have the most expensive power.

I wish I had the skills to play with an EV conversion.

EVs are the future, no matter what the dinosaurs think

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...ttery-ev-2021/
Old 01-01-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

But the states with renewables can't keep the lights on when power usage gets high.
I agree we need to find a viable alternative to coal but we just don't have one yet. (apart from nuclear as Southerncomfort mentioned) Hydro is great but for obvious reasons can't be used everywhere, solar and wind aren't up to the task yet and, as previously mentioned, if everyone went to EV's the whole power grid would go into meltdown.
A lot of people are just jumping on this bandwagon with no thought about how it's going to unfold in the future, I do think though that most practical people realize this which is why Labor got smashed at the last federal election.

https://www.instituteforenergyresear...tes-skyrocket/

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Hydrogen will never be usable outside of a city due to the limitations
of both onboard fuel storage and transportation. Using the Barkley
homestead as an example is an interesting choice because not that far
away from there the Singapore government is building a solar power
station that will supply 40% of that country’s power needs so we allow
a foreign country to build a power grid in our country that we won’t get
any benefits from and still think it is impossible to achieve.
Your example of a solar farm near Barkly homestead is a good example why we are so slow at upgrading the National Grid, governments are dumb..... current solar/wind farms can't operate at capacity because the grid can't handle the output and until that changes EV's traversing the country will be limited...
It's only impossible to achieve here in this country because those in power have blinkers on......

The vehicle is the easy part of the evolution.

I suppose when 50 EV's can cross the Nullaboor towing vans on the same day at the same time as a petrol group, then we will now the time of the EV is here, of course no gennys used.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 01-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Meanwhile, somehow, Elon Musk has become the second richest person in the World.

Imagine how much richer he would have become if he had stuck with diesel?

All jokes aside, things will move very quickly on EV once our Government sees an end to fossil fuel money and is ready to legislate compulsory EV’s with big taxes attached. And odds on it is ‘retired’ MP’s sitting on the Boards of the EV companies.
Old 02-01-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Hydro, wind and solar and I believe has the cheapest power in Australia while the coal burning states have the most expensive power.

I wish I had the skills to play with an EV conversion.

EVs are the future, no matter what the dinosaurs think

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...ttery-ev-2021/
No doubt Toyota's battery will be wonderful - in those markets with well developed non-fossil power generation. That doesn't include us in the foreseeable, for the reasons already expressed.

The reality is that we need to overcome the first problem i.e. the ability to feed enough juice into the other end of our power points before we can plug in EV's en masse, and expect to keep the lights on at the same time without the grid collapsing.

The real 'dinosaurs' on the other hand are those who are blinkered to the proven base load power generating alternatives already in existence around the world. Renewables won't do it, they're a feel-good notion but incapable of providing 100% supply 24/7.

In the meantime, better keep those DPF's clean and regenerated, they will be around for many years yet!
Old 02-01-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I don't know why tidal power for generation isn't used. There are plenty of places around Australia where it would be feasible. Derby on King Sound has huge tides in excess of 6 metres. I have flown over the northern end of the sound and it is like rapids. Think of the Horizontal Waterfalls not far from there. The tides are pumping in and out twice a day and never stop except for a very short period between. Thinks of Port Phillip Bay, Sydney Harbour......there are huge flows. It is doable if there was motivation!
I'll now hop off my little "soap box"!
Old 02-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywal View Post
I don't know why tidal power for generation isn't used. There are plenty of places around Australia where it would be feasible. Derby on King Sound has huge tides in excess of 6 metres. I have flown over the northern end of the sound and it is like rapids. Think of the Horizontal Waterfalls not far from there. The tides are pumping in and out twice a day and never stop except for a very short period between. Thinks of Port Phillip Bay, Sydney Harbour......there are huge flows. It is doable if there was motivation!
I'll now hop off my little "soap box"!
The year was 1985.
AIMS - Australian Institute of Marine Science, near Townsville Qld.
Me, a 17 year old student on work experience.
Scientist took me on a run into nearby Cape Creek where he had set up tidal generators.
They worked splendidly.
2021, still no commercially made tidal generators.
This is how the World works.