140K on the clock. Time to renovate the '02 KJ CRD - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-05-2012
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Indie, been watching closely. I've got an 03 petrol with 170 000 on the clock, also first owner. I've also got OME lift and have done the rear control arms (last year). The motors have different issues but agree that fuel economy has gone in the wrong direction with time. Just had a check and beside weeping oil on rocker covers, nothing obvious. Injectors and oxy sensors are on my mind (how long can they last).

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Old 26-05-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Indie

good to see you're making some progress. I took my upper control arm off with the lower ones still in place, just in case of any rotation. I had to remove the sway bar and I also removed that ugly big weight thingy..it made getting to the bracket on top of the diff [where the ball joint connects] really easy. I had the bushes and the balljoint pressed out, refitted the balljoint to the bracket, sanded it all down, painted everything [except the rubber boot of course] and had it all back in around three hours later. Then I did the lower arms in a similar way. I found it very handy to use a small jack under the diff..just a little bit of pressure so it lifted only about a centimetre. The whole job from whoa to go was an afternoons worth of time.

My balljoint refused to budge from the bracket, even when I had the arm out and on the bench I was forced to make up a small wedge to get the clamp to open up a little..I originally thought it might have rusted in, but it was as clean and shiny as a new one when I got it out..finally!

Last edited by bgbazz; 26-05-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 26-05-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Don't remove the bracket on the diff. Just loosen the top bolt holding the ball joint shaft in the bracket and then lever it out, it will just pop right out of the bracket (unless rusted in place). You can try spraying it with WD40 or something like that if it's stuck in the bracket.
Old 27-05-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Good luck..I hope yours comes out easily!
Old 27-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

A big day today. Based on last night's feedback I started this morning by pressing in the bushes on the two lower rear control arms and then put them back on the car with the bolts only loosely done. Next the shocks and the wheels went back on and the car lowered off the jacks but with the rear wheels on some blocks to give a bit more room under. I did take photos of the press and will put them up soon.

Before doing all that I loosened off the upper arm bushes to make it a bit easier to get them out. The ball joint popped out easily enough and yes it is totally stuffed. I can tell you now that the muffler is proving to be a serious PITA getting in the way of the driver side fixings. After much frustration the upper arm was removed. The two side bushes weren't too bad to press out but the ball joint was painful. Finally got it together.

Currently the upper arm is sitting in position with the ball joint in place and the passenger side bolt in. The driver's side is nowhere near aligning and trying to figure out how to get it in the right position. Tips??

So early tomorrow morning I'll be trying to get the last bolt in place and then tighten everything up. I expect a much improved ride after tomorrow. Question, is it advisable to do a rear wheel alignment? Is it possible on these things?

Thanks for the assistance so far guys. Indie.

Last edited by indiedog; 27-05-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 28-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is it necessary to use a torque wrench when putting everything back together or can I just crank it up?
Old 28-05-2012
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

In my opinion, Yes it is, try to torque up the upper control arm bolts (especially the ones on the ends that bolt to the body pockets). CRDJON had alot of problems with his and the pocket nuts had broken loose maybe due to overtightening or undertightening. Also the bolts that hold the rear axle shaft to the diff need to be torqued equally and try to use Locktite on those (the removable type - Blue).

Re your muffler clearance problem, I hope you have ditched the stock muffler by now, cause it's much easier if you have a small Magnaaflow or something like that.
Post New Thread  Reply