TOYOTAS ARE GOOD - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > RumourMil
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a basic TJ at 30k-ish.

I've spent about 7k i reckon, and on the EXTREME CHEAP, and my TJ is still far below a stock patrol or hilux, or even navara ST-R with the same spent on it.
Old 10-04-2007
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo
I've spent about 7k i reckon, and on the EXTREME CHEAP, and my TJ is still far below a stock patrol or hilux, or even navara ST-R with the same spent on it.
Tommo - What a load of crap, the comp TJ I navi for entered an RTI comp a few years ago, Andy_n also entered his, both TJ's entered just for kicks. Either way neither won but the wheel base wasn't taken into account therefore it wasn't an accurate representation of RTI, it was just to see who could get up the ramp the furthest before the wheels came off the ground. The owner of one of the very modified patrols who beat us by 4 cm and came second walked over to us after and said "the only difference between your TJ and my Patrol was 4 cm and $60k in mods".
At the time we were only entered in the Trophy class (33's max, no lockers etc. and had spent $7k in mods), the Patrol owner was in the Challenge class (38's max, lockers allowed etc.)
And here you are stating that you can spend $7k on a Patrol and achieve more than spending $7k on a TJ and that the your TJ's capability is lesser than that of a stock hilux or Navara with the equivilant spent on it...please take your hand off it, as it is a very broad statement.

I think it probably has more to do with 'your' driving ability if semi stock Navara's and Lux's are more capable offroad than your TJ on 35"S.... Or it could just be a fuglyfab thing?
At the end of the day, If ya don't like what you have sell it.

What do you do in the DOD? Are you at Garden Island? Certainly hope you don't work for the ASTJIC..

Last edited by Fat Chili; 10-04-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Mr Chili, driving ability goes a long way. Like I said I took my 2.5" lifted TJ everywhere my mate took his Cruiser ute thats got a welded rear diff, V8, elevator loads of lift and what must be 35's minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chili
What do you do in the DOD? Are you at Garden Island? Certainly hope you don't work for the ASTJIC..
Nah I was in the infantry. Nothing that fancy for me!!
Old 10-04-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So RTI is your one stop test of offroading ability? Since when exactly?

A 1500kg TJ with soft little springs... no wonder it flexes. Pity I need a support vehicle to carry my lunch. And it's a shame a 20 year old patrol towing a caravan can still overtake me on the freeway. (while using less fuel)

If I'm on a hill covered in that nasty black mud (NSW doesn't have anything like it as far as I've seen) - the only thing that gets anyone up it is momentum... and for that you need speed, and the ability to just floor it and not worry about breaking stuff. Just can't do that in good faith with a Jeep. The very first track i ever drove it on took the exhaust off it in 100m. It's just a toy made of mechano.

But if you want to rock crawl at 0.5 km/h, and articulate nicely once you've disco'd your sway bar (something most non-jeepers have never even heard of)
BUT ... not go too far cos you can't carry the fuel, and not go for too long cos you can't carry the other gear, and not go too hard cos you'll break something and/or overheat, and watch your mods cos your driveline is built to save weight? and clearly not for either load or lift, and your stock gearing is designed for an american sedan with 28 inch tyres (high gearing is a US road car thing) instead of a 4x4 with 31s... but you wanna look good in the supermarket carpark (hey, you gotta get something out of owning a jeep) then the jeep's great.

I get lots of head turns around town, but none way out bush cos the jeep wouldn't make it.

My 7k for 7k statement stands. Anyone who forks out for a 4d TK oughta buy a ballet support for the same purpose.
Old 10-04-2007
BANNED AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash
Nah I was in the infantry. Nothing that fancy for me!!
Mash - the question was for Tommo, as Garden Island and the ASTJIC etc. are in the Woolloomaloo area.

Nothing wrong with being a Grunt, I started off in 3RAR.
Old 10-04-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garden Island over heres a big a'rs navy base

I dragged off a vs dunnydore 2 weeks ago. Mines fairly quick in a straight line, the 6 speed works well

Little bit off topic lol

Toyotas are good my mums camry has a good wireless and oooooo so comfy seats!!!

Last edited by Mash; 10-04-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2007
BANNED AGAIN

Quote:
So RTI is your one stop test of offroading ability? Since when exactly?
Where did I state that???

Tommo - You just don't get it do you RTI has nothing to do with it, sorry if you can't comprehend the context in which my previous post was constructed (it was an example).

Let me break it down a little further;

Your statement about $7k's worth of mods being made to a Patrol in comparison to the said $7k worth of mods made to your TJ and increase in offroad capability over stock was your usual unfounded dribble.

Quote:
I get lots of head turns around town, but none way out bush cos the jeep wouldn't make it.
Again this may have something to do with the cheap way your TJ is set up (which you are blatently proud of.) or as previously stated, it could be your lack of driving ability....

Quote:
and articulate nicely once you've disco'd your sway bar (something most non-jeepers have never even heard of)
You'd better read a few other forums if this is your conclusion.

Also given your obvious reading impairment, could you please outline where I mentioned that I wanted to look good in a Supermarket carpark to get something out of my Jeep.

"We have enough youth--how about a fountain of SMART?"

Last edited by Fat Chili; 10-04-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Post New Thread  Closed Thread