Had a close look at the JK Rubicon - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu
bingo....same with the front fender and flares.....i recon that you will probable see Jeep relaeasing its own after market parts for the TK if they are smart about what we commonly do to our TJ's
i do know that DC america put less money into the bars over there as they know they are quickly changed / modified in the aftermarket arena but thta doesnt mean they had to make the aussie (european) ones useless to begin with.

Mopar (CJD aftermarket/parts company) already make aftermarket bars for the JK.

check em out a quadratec.com
Old 13-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default my 2 cents worth

I drove past a Jeep dealer today and spotted this funny looking KJ... Must be a JK, so I go back to have a look. Lots of plastic, the front bumper, the pastic bit under the front bumper.
Is that really the exhaust pipe running along in front of the transfer case skid thingy, which looks really low, I measured with my keys about 220 mm; my stock 97 TJ on 31s is about 270mm. I forgot to check the tyre size.
As for the plastic a CJ to TJ, TJ has more plastic, so a JK should have more.
But I think maybe in this thread especially, the Jk has been over huiped maybe. But I am sure it will be a good capable off road vehicle. I don’t think the price of TJs is going to drop much; they will not drop as much as XJs. If the JK is a big success, it will put the brand name ‘Wrangler’ up to a new level, TJs share that name. KJs did nothing to help lift the Cherokee name.
All in all it looks ok, but the TJ is a tough act to follow, I think I'll be hanging on to mine for another 10 or 20 years.
Now every one can heap c..p on me for my thoughts, cheers guys
Old 13-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Had a close look at the JK Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
hmmm.. I was wondering the same thing about the Renegade.. the two unlimited "renegades" that I have seen so far have both had 16"s not 17"s as they should... what's the deal? and no painted fenders either. Essentially it's an X model equivalent with a hardtop. What gives?
..All very sus me thinks. At least with the TJ..the Renegade was a Sahara with another name. What gives this time ? If the new Renegade was indeed a rebadged Sahara..then the price might be justified but for a slight upgrade on X/ Sport model.... ? I don't think so. Still a few questions to be answered. As for those tubular bars... they look marginally better than the Aus. spec bars we've seen...but thats not saying a lot. Will be waiting to see what ARB or Mopar can produce I think. Decent ratios are a must though..and I'm curious to see how they'll cope with fitting a tow pack (factory option)..with correct diff and ratios. The Rubicon buyers won't have a problem..and I believe 'some' of the Unlimiteds will run 4.01 in a Dana 44 as well.. but it all seems a little 'hit and miss'. I'm not all that fussed on the coloured guards..but they should be there.. along with 17" rims ....not just on the Rubicon. If one HAS to buy an Unlimited or a Rubicon to get the ratios they want...seems a little rude to say the least.
Old 14-03-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I've said in other threads I think the pricing is quite good, when the TJ Renegade was released in 96 with ward top and optional aircon it was I think 42k on the road. Aircon was a $3K option.

Early on there seemed to be alot of rengades sold too. Maybe they thought that they wouldn't get the volume this time. I though and still think that the renegade looked a ten times better than the sport.

It might be something they introduce down the track.
Old 14-03-2007
Ive been here for a while

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I still cant tell the difference betweem a renegade and a sport unless its got those gay indian renegade stickers on it

anyone know if the turbo diesel is at mullers holland park yet?

Old 17-03-2007
AJOR Gold

Default good ish - just not great

So I'll throw my 2 cents in here..

We run an 84 CJ, a 98 TJ and a 2006 KJ and have been looking at the JK as either a replacement for the KJ or one of the others.
Given the posts on the US sites we decided that the 4 door rubicon was the one to go with. Why payRB and fight the warrenty when its available from the factory.

But.....

The local jeep dealerships in Brisbane need to go back to car selling school. I told both main dealers - you get official pricing call me. It took them four weeks and the only guy that called sounded as though he had been asleep for a month. An other sales person told me - " I sold the first TJ in Qld and I know jeeps" whn he asked what I drove and I said a CJ - he said whats that!

Spent last week up the coast and dropped into Jeep at Noosa who have a black four door sport.

The good bits

Great rear storage space - my trusty tape says as big almost as a TJ
with the seats out.

The rear seats fold flat 60/40 - had a storage system planned out in no
time.

the not so good bits

Easy for old people to get into due to low sill height - My first impression
was that I was looking at a stretched lowered TJ.

Ability of jeep dealer to fit wheel flares on straight

tyres - still laughing the same ones the local jeep head tech described
as total s**t

The really bad bits

Front bumper - nuff said

Knowledge of jeep dealer - my 5 mth old daughter knows more

rear bumper and license plate - rotffl

So given you can delete the full doors and get half doors, and add or delete most options if you now the right codes- what do you think would be jeeps response the price if I said I want, and remember this is (semi quote from the jeep web site -cos I can;t be bothered looking it up) the only 4wd that has a waranty that supports modification.

A four door Rubicon Wrangler
drop the stock front and rear bar - going better looking
drop the stock wheels and tyres - going bigger
drop the stock front and rear suspension - going higher
drop the soft top and replace with hard top - Never rains in Qld anyway
so I can live with the leaks
drop the sub and amp - jeep make cars and should stay away from audio
drop the seat treatment - waterproof canvas is better than any chemical

What would be the price?

When I ask on Monday I;ll let you know
Old 17-03-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha ha stevemcc, you know your stuff. We just went thru the same debacle with a stooopid sales person at the same dealership.... he looked EXACTLY like that emotiocon.

Seems that MY 5 month old daughter knew more about Jeeps than he ever would too. Shame about those dang guards. Vomitous pieces of plastic that they are. They look terrible. Easy access into the Jeep tho if you are under 5ft. Head clearance is terrible for anyone who is over 5ft 1oinch. Arghhh, soooo frustrating for anyone like me who was anxiously awaiting viewing and test driving the JK. My partner and I were literally going insane trying to sleep the night before finally meeting this car and were very let down. I might not have to try so hard anymore to convince DP to keep his CJ and KJ to keep my TJ company. I don't want that WRONG JK next to my TJ in the garage.