So I need 5k to run some lift and 33s? - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i recon 2.5 4wd1 stage 3 lift or a OME 2" lift would be the way to go! a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ 31's and youll be fine! bighorns are also a good tyre but a bit loud for my liking on the road, i have the mtz's and love them thats why i im supporting them!
Old 31-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been trying to keep out of this thread but might as well throw my 2 cents in quickly.

If i was you i would forget 33"s and go a better balanced setup. For $3000 you can make a big difference to the vehicle and just wheel the shit out of it for a while. Coming from an extremely modded XJ i ran this setup for 12 months in my TJ and it was the most i ever enjoyed the vehicle, i had more fun in it back then compared to now, $10,000 later and with smaller tyres you can abuse the shit out of it and nothing should fail on you.
  • 2" OME lift (Heavy Springs) $1200
  • 31x12.5R15 Maxxis Trepadores $1500 for 5 fitted
  • JKS Quicker Dis-Connects $300

Then just wheel the hell out or it and save your money until you decide what you want to do with it. From there you can bang in a 1" body lift and run 33"s down the track and you still haven't wasted any money. Replace stuff when it fails or when you can afford it.
Old 01-04-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I've been trying to keep out of this thread but might as well throw my 2 cents in quickly.

If i was you i would forget 33"s and go a better balanced setup. For $3000 you can make a big difference to the vehicle and just wheel the shit out of it for a while. Coming from an extremely modded XJ i ran this setup for 12 months in my TJ and it was the most i ever enjoyed the vehicle, i had more fun in it back then compared to now, $10,000 later and with smaller tyres you can abuse the shit out of it and nothing should fail on you.
  • 2" OME lift (Heavy Springs) $1200
  • 31x12.5R15 Maxxis Trepadores $1500 for 5 fitted
  • JKS Quicker Dis-Connects $300

Then just wheel the hell out or it and save your money until you decide what you want to do with it. From there you can bang in a 1" body lift and run 33"s down the track and you still haven't wasted any money. Replace stuff when it fails or when you can afford it.
x2 couldnt agree more
Old 04-04-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I also agree with Rosie. 2 inch lift, 31's and disconnect gets you about pretty good. I ran stock suspension disconnected and 31's for quite a while, not ideal but neither was my budget. OME lift kit with heavy duty springs made hell of a difference. But now I want bigger rubber.

Last edited by JoeJeep; 06-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2011
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

I think you'll find that a TJ with 31's, 2" lift, swaybar discos and a front locker are far more capable than anything on 33's with open diffs in the rocks and wheel lifting twisty stuff. If the money saved by not going to 33's & 3" lift buy a front locker you'll be laughing offroad. When my front locker went in it completely transformed the jeep offroad, especially as i'd had 5 years of open diff jeeping prior.

I would say that my TJ is 'finished'. I tried 33's for a few trips (borrowed from a mate) and i ran 32's onroad/offroad for 12 months. I just didn't like them as the TJ felt woeful onroad, had no power (even after i've had my diffs done) and used heaps of fuel. They'd prob be ok if i went with a 9.5 or 10.5 wide tyres but i reckon the reason i didn't like them is due to the 11.5/12.5 width. They were great offroad but rubbed and i was worried i would break something. That's not to say they're not for you, plenty of guys runs larger lifts and/or tyres and love them.

I have now gone back to 31's as for me the onroad function of the jeep is just as important as the offroad. I don't do the harder stuff i used to anymore due to time/family/financial restraints. Sure there's going to be heros out there saying: "that Jeeps bloke is a wimp", but i have a mortgage, bills and a family to look after so driving around with big tyres trying to increase the size of my wang and avoiding the police doesn't interest me LOL . I've had it for about 10 years and i've set it up the way i want for the way i use it and if anyone doesn't like it, they can bugger off. Same applies for you, if you want it just do it. If my TJ wasn't diff locked it might be wearing bigger rubber but with lockers and diff ratios done i have no desire to go bigger as the jeep goes everywhere i point it. Plus, tyres are $100ea+ cheaper, it uses less fuel and has heaps more power and the boys in blue don't even give me a second glance.

If you're after "the look" of big rubber then nothing is going to stop you, just go and get the rubber with a cheap lift. But if you're after better offroad ability there's no substitute for experience. If you're only new to your TJ i think you should drive it with just 31's for a while, get some experience. Only then will you have a true understanding of what you want and most importantly why you want it

cheers
Old 05-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i ran 32s for a year, maybe a nice compromise between 31s and 33s??

but i did upgrade to 4.11 ratios, as it drove like a pig with stock ratios, and bigger tyres.
Old 05-04-2011
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronsjeep View Post
i ran 32s for a year, maybe a nice compromise between 31s and 33s??

but i did upgrade to 4.11 ratios, as it drove like a pig with stock ratios, and bigger tyres.
I agree. I'd probably run a 32x10.5 but i can't find any to suit a 15" rim. I'd have to go to a 16" rim...