What to do? - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-06-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I had a toyota v6 vienta blow up twice in 70000 kays It was a known toyota cylinder head fault on the engine.biggest piece of crap I have owned. They would not fix it the 2nd time because it was 5 months out of time warranty (3year warranty) will never buy a toyota again.

Von Dep
Old 22-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like reading good and bad points about Jeeps, all types of jeeps. Getting to know their pros and cons. when thinks pick up $$$ i intend on getting a jk
so knowing what to look out for is always good
One thing i dont get is people without jeeps commenting on them and their warranties etc
Unless you have owned a jeep and dealt with them i dont really see its your place to comment.
I personally wouldnt go on a patrol forum and bitch about the 3litre engine shitting itself (again) or go on LandROvers forums and say how f%$cking uncomfortable defenders are to sit in...as i know people who own them are passionate about them and luv them to death.
Every 2nd car on the road is a toyota....is it possible to be passionate about ownign another prado? i couldnt and i was close to buying one..so glad i didnt. Will take the kj anyday over it. As far as Landcruiser, the 200 is the most over priced vehicle on the market.. for what you get anyway. But im sure all the mums who arrive at the private boys school across from my house are proud and loyal toyota owners. They seem to fit a lot of soccer balls in them for the weekend.
Old 22-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
except toyota tend to stand by their product when it breaks.

But toyota have been weakening their product for years. Infact it started with the Landcruiser 80 series. The front diff centre on these vehicles is literally the same item they fitted to the solid axle hiluxes of the early 90's....!

At least they kept big engines though. Navaras, Patrols and Skylines have all shared the same engines... Pathetic nissan.
It gets worse wait till you see the new patrol 200 series clone. The only promising thing is that they might be getting a decent V6 diesel from europe other than that from what i've seen you could squint your eyes and mistake it for 200 series even down to the independant suspension.

Last edited by dhard; 22-06-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 22-06-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I think you should tell the truth BUTbe aware that it could be seen as defammatory by alot of people.And it will no doubt be debated about how crap all Jeeps are on other 4wd forums.But I do think you should tell the mag what you think and feel about you JK and then it's up to the editor as to whether it's published or not.
Old 22-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
But im sure all the mums who arrive at the private boys school across from my house are proud and loyal toyota owners.
Except maybe the ones who have the Lexus version...

By the way, I agree 100% with the rest of your post...
Old 23-06-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, some people do miss the point however, I do realise that lots have great experiences with their Jeeps, many because they use them for a vastly different purpose than we use ours.

People posting on this thread that they love their Jeep and it has never given them a moments trouble is not the point of my question(although we are pleased for them).

We have had no end of trouble because we have been silly enough to believe the advertising hype and purchased a Jeep to go touring the outback with a camper trailer in tow.

We booked our first trip (a tag along in the Kimberly’s) and were told by the tour operator we needed better tyres (AT not HT), a snorkel and some rated tow points (a stronger front and rear bar). Whilst it was in the local ARB store they strongly suggested a better set of shocks and springs would be prudent for the Gibb River Road so we spent $6000.00 on modifying the Jeep and did the trip. The front axle tubes bent, all the oil poured out and it was trucked home, Jeep blamed the modifications and wouldn’t fix it. We had never thought the modifications would void the warranty - we were naive – some on this forum say stupid - but the other vehicles on that first tour were far more modified than us. Some were new, most a lot more expensive than ours and had lifts, winches, front and rear bars with two wheels hanging of the rear. As a matter of fact we cannot ever recall seeing any 4x4 out there in standard form, surely not every 4x4 has voided its warranty!
It turned out we had and it was only the start of our failures and the first of many thousands we have spent fixing broken bits on the JK to keep it going out there. Our JK is two years old and has done 46,000klms (40,000 of those on trips) it cost us $41,000 to purchase and to date we have spent over $25,000 fixing it and modifying it to do the purpose we naively thought it would do when we picked it up from the dealer on day one.
We have never successfully had anything fixed by the dealer under warranty apart from the first blown battery and they blamed that on the UHF wiring so when the second one blew up 3 weeks later stranding us out the back of Kalgoorlie, we paid an auto electrician to sort that out and supply a different type of battery (without blanket)that has now done over twelve months and 25,000klms.

Some of you have read all this before and will flame me again for rubbishing your beloved Jeep, but my point is: should I be giving any impression/recommendation by contributing in a magazine article about how great our 4x4 and camper trailer has been. The only reason we have been asked is because they look so great together, the fact that we could not do the pictures on the week they wanted because the Jeep was/is still in getting its regular rebuild in readiness for another two week camping trip was lost on the journo.
The magazine will gloss over everything and I do not want to be part of recommending people try and do what we have done with a jeep that simply has never been tested in our conditions and has absolutely no support from the factory. In My Humble Opinion.

We have therefore contacted the 4x4 magazine and declined the offer to do an article in their magazine.

We have, however, had no problems with the Camprite off road camper trailer. We will be more than willing to allow the other magazine (a camper trailer mag) their interview and pictures (which will include the Jeep as its tow vehicle)

Thanks for all your comments, I did leave this reply till we were about to leave again for a two week trip so I won’t be around to receive all your flames, pity, but I will get around to reading them all next month.

Picking up the JK in two hours and leaving in the morning...

Catch you out there,

Steve M.

Last edited by redgp; 23-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 23-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a pity you declined redgp - I think there was a way to get some free advertising for Camprite but at the same time saying what you said above in such a way that it would get printed.