Source: FCA's new 2.0-liter turbo 4-banger to make nearly 300 hp - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > RSS Feeds
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
did you know there is more than just the flat four ?
Is this a test? ? Yes. Porsches run flat 6s. Subaru even had a flat 6, not sure if they still make it or not, was in the liberty and the tribecca i think. Bmw even have flat engines in their bikes, 2 cylinders i think? Just dont leam them too far in the corners or you get gravel rash on the heads

Once again, im sure there are others. Probably something really rare in a flat8 configuration. Im no expert or historian and am not trying to pretend to be

While we are well off topic, you ever heard of W configured motors? Id hate to try to change plugs and leads on something like a w16. Im bad enough on holden v8's
Old 12-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
Is this a test? ? Yes. Porsches run flat 6s. Subaru even had a flat 6, not sure if they still make it or not, was in the liberty and the tribecca i think. Bmw even have flat engines in their bikes, 2 cylinders i think? Just dont leam them too far in the corners or you get gravel rash on the heads

Once again, im sure there are others. Probably something really rare in a flat8 configuration. Im no expert or historian and am not trying to pretend to be

While we are well off topic, you ever heard of W configured motors? Id hate to try to change plugs and leads on something like a w16. Im bad enough on holden v8's
the w12 yes , the flat 4 goes way back , and this is what people don't really understand that the design of even engines today have been out for quite sometime , including the v6 (I still remember the v4) and does anyone remember the AUDI FOX?, I know what you mean about spark plugs LOL , even some engines were designed in a way were impossible just about , BUT not impossible , I have worked on a hell of a lot of engines , including marine , bikes , so on so on ,
I have even got out of three cyl engine speeds of 160 klms , a non turbo but people forget ,
power to weight ratio, and displacement of the engine , so on so on , yap yap , could go on forever about , but the thing to remember is : 2.0 is 2.0 , and when you look at it , time , and using for 4x4ing , it is not a well worn thing that will keep producing that power. and all know what its like when you go out to track.
the thing I didn't like about the subbies , the blasted tappet covers would always come in BROKEN . and vw with the off set dizzy and people would play with them and wonder why they would not run . and there adjustment for the belt.
OH , and where the base block would crack from thumping over time. (where the barrel rods would go into the block.
and the bucket of sand and or fire blanket needed due to the fuel pump being near to the coil.

Last edited by bleetnblurt; 12-05-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2016

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
and I bet YOU worked on none of those engines.
I swear if you deleted every thread in this forum that turned into a pissing contest, there wouldn't be much left.
Old 12-05-2016
Established Member

Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
But I do wish they'd stop trying to ruin a quinessential enthusists vehicle (the wrangler) by making IT less like it's true origins.

I totally agree. At least leave one to fully appeal to the market that has really driven the "brand" which can be driven off the lot and up a big hill. There are several others in the marque which comfortably cater for all the other requirements and this has nothing to do with engines.
Old 12-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujabe View Post
I swear if you deleted every thread in this forum that turned into a pissing contest, there wouldn't be much left.
my record is 4 litres , yours ?
and that was in one go.
done at RBH LOL.

Last edited by bleetnblurt; 12-05-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzo View Post
I totally agree. At least leave one to fully appeal to the market that has really driven the "brand" which can be driven off the lot and up a big hill. There are several others in the marque which comfortably cater for all the other requirements and this has nothing to do with engines.
We do. The pikachu is a true hard core off roader that can be driven up a really big hill. Bwahahahahaa..

Last edited by JeepAxion; 12-05-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 13-05-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

this all has nothing to do with technology improving.

yes i have driven a new BMW 2.0 turbo and it had great torque from just off idle maximum torque from about 1500rpm all the way to 4500rpm.

However, a new commodore SV6 has the same 0-100 time as the famous Phase 3 GTHO and a slightly quicker standing 400m time however it does this in a very refined, uninteresting way - given the choice most enthusiasts would pick the GTHO to play with even if they wanted the refinement for day to day.

Jeep owners fall into 2 very different categories, those who offroad (mostly onroad or high quality gravel road) where independent suspension and modern electronics with road based AT tyres are all they will ever need.

The second group, many who are posting on this thread want a solid axle vehicle with good articulation, mud tyres and either the good old fashioned, but every reliable straight 6 4.0 that is not a power monster or even a torque monster, however for off road it pulls well from low revs and just works, ideally a V8 as they will also pull well from low revs, have ample power and sound GREAT.

Most of the second group would not give you any thanks for some of the modern quad cam V8s even though they have more power than the push rod american v8s of days gone by that like the AMC 4.0 just pull from low revs and work without all the techno that goes along with new engines, none of which would be at home under water in a deep creek crossing, or full of mud.

The old motors with the added advantage of fuel injection to allow smooth progress on all slopes will always be remembered as the preferred true off road motor - yes the modern engines will out perform them, even off road, however even i can fix many of the 4.0 issues, would not know where to start on a modern twin turbo 2.0 four cylinder

Just my 2 bobs worth