Playing around with the 2.7 software (ECU and TCU) - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2022
Back again

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well, I enter this post with cautious optimism.

I have successfully been able to get my map discussed earlier into my ECU.

First though, the disclaimer I have seen so many other people write in their posts. Anything I write in this, or any post is just my experience had at the time. I don't recommend anyone does anything I do. If you choose to take something from any of my posts and try it, then I am in no way responsible if anything goes wrong (But happy to take donations for anything that goes right. )

Now, back to the scheduled programming.

I found this video on suggestions for using MPPS V13 on WIndows 10. Not sure if it is bollocks, but I've had success so far.

Edit: Also did the usual compatibility mode changes as recommended.

Previously when I tried Windows 10, it crapped out. Even got an error when closing the application. After doing this, MPPS V13 has worked perfectly on this one occasion. I read the ECU ID, did a full ECU read, and saved my maps. Did this a couple of times and it went well.

So hit the "write" button and it went perfectly. Even shutdown MPPS V13 with no error messages on close.

So what do I think of the change I have made. Yep, I like it. The car definitely behaves differently, but for my driving style seems to have no downside. I'd even say there is better engine braking. There is one particular I hill drive down where I could have my foot off, and the speed would maintain or slightly speed up. I put this down to the rev's being held up a little and therefore not slowing the car down. This test drive the car did slow down on this hill. Ended up having to put my foot on the throttle a touch to maintain speed. Still a positive thing though. Previously it was injecting at 5 - 6 mg/stroke here. This time with my foot on was only 3 and a bit mg/stroke.

Sure, in the scheme of things this will only add up to a small fuel saving, but it is nice to see zero fuel usage when coasting down a long hill. Beats using fuel for nothing. Plus, it was a simple change that I could do to test my ability to make a change and get it working successfully.

Here's hoping the next attempt works well too.....................

Last edited by RTB; 01-04-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Spent some time now making the next change.

My last car used to have a very flat torque curve. The engine would just keep pulling as the rev's increased. The WG doesn't do that, and I think it is due to the drivers wish map. Once the revs get up, the fuel starts to back off, and keeps backing off as the RPM increases. This will be what causes it to kind of feel like it is running out of puff before it changes gear and pulls again. Now, I'm not talking about the torque reduction command that is sent to back off the injection timing at the time of gear change. I mean the pulling power as the rev's increase with constant throttle.

So I have made some changes to the middle of the map. Not touching the top end in either throttle or RPM. Not touching any other limiter or any other maps at all. All I have done is to make constant fueling from 1500 to 3000 RPM. It then drops off after that. Similar to what the OEM has done to the map at the top end, just with the lower values.

Looking at the results below, it seems it will however have an effect on the boost due to the IQ changes going into the boost map versus RPM.

I have not yet put this map in as I want to wait for this laptops battery to be fully charged before seeing if it can successfully communicate to the ECU again. Also, guess it might be good to hear some feedback about the changes and if anyone has tried this before and suggest that it sucks.

The changes shown here.

The results shown below. Top graphs are the stock tune. Bottom graphs are my modded file. The flatter IQ can be seen in the 1200 to 3000 RPM range. The resulting increased boost can also be seen even though the boost map is unchanged.

10% Throttle. Stock on top, Modded below that.

20% Throttle Stock on top, Modded below that.

50% Throttle. We just start to hit the stock boost limiter at 3500 RPM.

70% Throttle. We just start to hit the stock torque limiter.

100% Throttle. Stock or modded, both are against the torque and boost limiters anyway.

Last edited by RTB; 01-04-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Oh, and I would expect that this change would result in lower average throttle position when driving, and therefore lower speed gear changes as a result.
Old 01-04-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I notice you have 5mg/stroke at 0% throttle at 950rpm. This looks odd.
EDIT: What software are you editing the map in? Is it MPSS or something else?
Edit edit: What are the units on the boost data?

Last edited by JeanLuke; 01-04-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
I notice you have 5mg/stroke at 0% throttle at 950rpm. This looks odd.
EDIT: What software are you editing the map in? Is it MPSS or something else?
Edit edit: What are the units on the boost data?
Post #42 shows the 0% throttle mod, and AdrianD also talks about it in the beginning of this thread. Adding fuel at zero percent throttle is the standard tune. I want it gone. AdrianD speaks of his experience with all zeros at the beginning, so this was my attempt to make a happy compromise. I will play with it more once I know I have MPPS reliability.

I am using WinOLS to view, compare, and confirm the maps.
VAG EDC15P+ Suite to modify the maps as it saves me from having to use a Hex Editor. Don't really need to worry about Hex at all, can do it all in decimal this way.
Boost data is in MilliBar.
Old 01-04-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is that the demo version of WinOLS, or "another" version from somewhere?

EDIT: I missed your post on the zero fuel. I'm trying to keep up, but not having the tools it's harder when I cannot play along.
Old 01-04-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Demo version of WinOLS is all you need to view the maps.

I completely agree. Being able to actually play helps increase the rate of learning.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Shoes are for people with jobs...
Post New Thread  Reply