Oil Cooler failure - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

I just kept the expansion tank didn't replace it...sure it had a couple of oil stains which I couldn't get out but no big deal...
Old 05-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,333 Times in 768 Posts

Not really my gig being critical...but....it really doesnt sound like a genuine flush was performed on the first place....no need to replace the header tank...just clean it as best as possible....doesnt sound like that was done...doesnt sound like a cooling system flush was done with any competency.....I may be wrong, and it wont be the first or last time, but, it all sounds a li'l RAGS (Rough As Guts) Mechanical to me....truely dont want to shit can a reputable shop, but, we all make mistakes and these fella's seem to have performed a VERY sub standard job in this case.....Experts ???

I take note that when you went to pick it up originally after the first attempt, that there was a number of mekanix looking under the bonnet...usually...this means the mekanik that did the job and was supposed to have the car ready for the customer has spotted a problem with his workmanship, called his mate over for a look, the boss has seen 2x doodleheads under 1x bonnet, and the workshop accountant doesnt like that, walked over to see why 2x 'trained experts' are under the bonnet of a vehicle thats about to be collected by the owner, and are not working on the car that is booked out in 1.5hrs time,and still has the new parts in boxes on the mekanix tool tray, and asks the 2x doodleheads..."Whats going on ???"....there is now 3x mekanix heads under your bonnet and you 'think' your getting excellent service/bang for your buck....perception...its a wonderful thing and just how magic works.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 05-05-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2023
Senior Newbie

Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts

6 weeks and close to 6gees later and it's back on the road and working. Original header tank reused (cleaned up a bit but still tarnished) because they couldn't get a new one. Mechanic said to bring it back in approx 5000kms and they'll replace it and flush the cooling system to be sure no traces of oil remain. They did pretty extensive test driving and the coolant stayed clean. They cleaned the intake (complimentary) which appeared quite caked and when I saw the plastic swirl motor gear/wheel(?) I pretty quickly realised why this could fail. 95K on the clock and coked quite badly.

So far it's driving really well and coolant is staying clean....time will tell.

Would agree they rushed the flushing. For the probably 10 mins it would have taken to remove the OF bottle and clean it, and for the sake of a call saying 'sorry it's not ready yet' and getting me to come back when it was tried and tested they'd have saved a lot of their credibility in my book.
Old 06-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,333 Times in 768 Posts

Good to hear its going well....absolute bonus they removed and decoked the intake....that is a very common 'must do' and definitely not a 'cheap' job....hope all stays kosha n you get your moneys worth....ENJOY !!!

ps: Do you have a Catch Can fitted ?....If not, its very cheap preventative maintenance and will 'safeguard' the intake internals against the 'coking' issue.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 06-05-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2023
Senior Newbie

Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Good to hear its going well....absolute bonus they removed and decoked the intake....that is a very common 'must do' and definitely not a 'cheap' job....hope all stays kosha n you get your moneys worth....ENJOY !!!

ps: Do you have a Catch Can fitted ?....If not, its very cheap preventative maintenance and will 'safeguard' the intake internals against the 'coking' issue.
I didn't get one fitted but agree and am looking at them now. I changed the oil as a precaution yesterday, when I was doing so I took a look at the CCV line, definitely looks like it would feed a decent amount of oil into the intake. Seems silly they don't have catch cans fitted from the factory in CRDs. Also seems like install would be pretty easy.

I am thinking this one, looks alright and a bit cheaper than others. If anyone has recommendations fire away.
https://www.westernfilters.net.au/je...it-os-prov-24/

Last edited by davet; 06-05-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

Well the catch can will minimise the vented oil going into the intake, the only way to stop it fully is to vent it to atmosphere, just leaves drops of oil on the concrete then, makes a mess..... I did vent an old rig into the chassis rail, worked well and intake was just sooty then but no chassis on these things so no where to vent it.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 06-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
I didn't get one fitted but agree and am looking at them now. I changed the oil as a precaution yesterday, when I was doing so I took a look at the CCV line, definitely looks like it would feed a decent amount of oil into the intake. Seems silly they don't have catch cans fitted from the factory in CRDs. Also seems like install would be pretty easy.

I am thinking this one, looks alright and a bit cheaper than others. If anyone has recommendations fire away.
https://www.westernfilters.net.au/je...it-os-prov-24/

Yeah thats the one...the install is easy, but you will have to do a couple of small mods to the install...possibly bend the mounting bracket a tad to clear brake lines in to the ABS system, and the supplied hoses aren't plug and play so will have to muck about with them to make it all fit...but well worth doing...