Insurance cover? - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyen86 View Post
insurance will not cover them as they have a 50mm lift and their tyres are too big and so on.

Well, i want to know who has actually had insurance knocked back for these reasons?? Have the guys who make these statements actually had a claim denied?

yes read above- not had a claim denied but insurance canceled due to mods stating they would not of covered a claim

But, a JK with 3" lift and 34" tyres, i wouldnt be to worried myself. Thats the lift and tyre size i plan to use once my JK turns up anyhow.
I'd be worried, i had exactly what your planning, 3" and 315 (34.4") and they knocked me back.

All as id say is tell them what your mods are truthfully, its better to find out now than later when you need the cover only to find they wont cover. they have many loop holes to get out of a claim, if you had fluffy dice on your rear vision mirror they'll knock you back. All depends on the projected cost of the repairs too, if you did slam up the ass of a Rolls Royce i'd say they go through your car with a fine tooth comb looking for an out!

its a business remember, giving out money doesn't make the profits, and the CEO likes his yearly bonus.
Old 25-08-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQTRBO View Post
That's what I'm basically running. 3.5" AEV suspension system and 34" tyres. Suspension engineered.
did you get insurance because you got the engineering done? ive heard it doesn't matter and if its over 2" then its a blanket refusal.
Old 25-08-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyen86 View Post
I have read many many posts about how insurance claims will be knocked back on 4wds with lifts, tyres etc on numerous forums. There must be thousands of post with people always telling others their insurance will not cover them as they have a 50mm lift and their tyres are too big and so on.

Well, i want to know who has actually had insurance knocked back for these reasons?? Have the guys who make these statements actually had a claim denied? Try to find examples on forums where people have actually been knocked back! Its hard.

Yes, if you run up the ass of a merc/run somebody over, have a huge lift and 37" tyres, and a beat up old 4wd, your chances are not great of getting covered. But, a JK with 3" lift and 34" tyres, i wouldnt be to worried myself. Thats the lift and tyre size i plan to use once my JK turns up anyhow.

So have any guys had a claim knocked back and if so what size lift, tyres did you have?
Interested to see if anyone has feedback on this,
I agree & think the majority of "minor to medium claims" would be approved unless as you say its obvious your lift & tyres are outside the legal limits.These type of claims probably represent 95% of all claims (my guess) and thus the reason we don't see guys posting about it day in day out.
Its these 95% of claims that im happy to pay my insurance for and am confident that a claim would be paid. Money well spent IMO.

I also think that you need to be aware of the risks of running an unroadworthy car. If the claim is serious & large enough the insurer will look for a way out.
Having a 3.5 lift & 34's listed on your policy is great for those minor claims but if an asessor was to take a measurement of your AEV wheels - Claim denied on grounds of weel track in excess of max allowed.
Im not knocking people for taking the risk as long as they are aware of that risk and don't come winging if things go pear shaped...

Last edited by PaulGC; 25-08-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 25-08-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41MB-14JK View Post
I'd be worried, i had exactly what your planning, 3" and 315 (34.4") and they knocked me back.

All as id say is tell them what your mods are truthfully, its better to find out now than later when you need the cover only to find they wont cover. they have many loop holes to get out of a claim, if you had fluffy dice on your rear vision mirror they'll knock you back. All depends on the projected cost of the repairs too, if you did slam up the ass of a Rolls Royce i'd say they go through your car with a fine tooth comb looking for an out!

its a business remember, giving out money doesn't make the profits, and the CEO likes his yearly bonus.
I understand where your coming from and i do agree. All im saying is you actually dont hear people getting knocked back very much at all. You take the risk when adding lifts/tyres etc, but end of the day, thats one of the reasons why the majority of us buy 4wds.

Just about all the Patrols/cruisers around my area are far from roadworthy. Not just from lifts and tyres either, yet you still dont hear these guys getting claims knocked back. Going by what some of these guys look like, im sure they cause a few accidents to . Majority of them are P platers also.

In regards to the engineering, i think they misinformed you. My understanding is if the car/4wd is deemed roadworthy (By engineer), they couldnt knock the claim back. AAMI for instance, only requests you inform them if you have added supercharges etc. They dont care about lift kits, tyres....as long as your car is still "roadworthy". Thats from their online quote.

Ill take the risk as i have with my current 4wd. Hopefully will never have to worry about it. .
Old 25-08-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 47 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41MB-14JK View Post
did you get insurance because you got the engineering done? ive heard it doesn't matter and if its over 2" then its a blanket refusal.
In the end, with the money I have spent on the car and the accessories, I wasn't going to cut any corners. If I couldn't get the suspension engineered then it would have a 2" lift in it. Just imagine righting the car off and loosing 67k! No thank you. If it was a cheap car then maybe.....
Old 25-08-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Not that I make a habit of trawling over insurance policies but the few I've read include a clause that "the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition" or words to that effect.

So if your modified beyond what the law in your state permits then there's an instant out for Insurers if they want to go down that path. Do insurers use it.... doesn't seem to be the case in "normal" accidents - they probably don't want to go through an expensive engineering analysis - but of course in a serious one where the police accident investigation guys get involved - all the evidence would be available to them with no effort or legal backlash for the insurer to pull the pin.
Old 25-08-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 47 Times in 28 Posts

I was told that when a modified vehicle has been engineered, that certificate which is lodged with Vicroads is deemed as fit for road use. For example, all the swerve, brake tests etc have been carried out. I've spoken to my insurance company and vicroads and I'm all covered and roadworthy, however the amount of forward facing lights I have is another story
Post New Thread  Reply