Commander Bull Bar campaign - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2015
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Update time...

Finally received some instructions from Maniac, which were less then desirable but nevertheless, we did use them as a guide atleast. I am working with Wolf in keeping them updated with how its all going as they haven't fitted either of these bars yet.
I'm going to be sending pictures and documenting as we go along so that they can work with Maniac on improving the instructions, maybe some areas in design and general feedback. It will also help Wolf should the time come they get to fit either of these bars to a Commander.

So the bars have been test fitted finally.

A large section of the front cross rail needs to be cut out to mount the winch cradle - which has been done. We have cut the outsides of the rail in a way that we can retain the headlight stays, as Maniac state to cut the whole thing off, thus losing the headlight stays. It would appear that Maniac made up another way of holding up the headlights in place of the factory stays.

The rear bar was pretty simple however, but there is ZERO adjustment in that, the bolt holes just line up and she aint going nowhere lol.
The only thing we have found with the rear is that the cut out for the tailgate is just touching the side of the tailgate, particularly on the left hand side.
That will be an easy enough fix. Mick is going to shave off some of the cut out, and sand the edges off the tailgate a little bit, then airbrush the area.

The only other minor things that we have found, the tab at the bottom of the flare on the right hand side of the front bar, is about 1.5mm narrower then the left hand tab - to fix that, Mick is going to put urethane in behind the flare and clamp it over night, and press the flare hard up on the guard so that it sits flush on the bar.
The strap that bolts over the coolers/radiator needs to be cut shorter and bolted to the inside of the winch cradle, there is only enough room between the cradle and the cooler for a nut without creating a new core in the cooler.

Other than that, shes starting to come together.
I've decided I'm going to have have the exhaust pipe shortened, it just looks like a big dick out the back lol

Mick is also going to make up a small cup/guard to bolt to the front bar to cover the bottom corner of the washer bottle - as thats the only part that is exposed - so we'll pass that info on as well. I'll wait till its all finished, but i may look at getting plates made to cover up the major gaps under the wings.

I will have more detailed pics sent to me as I asked Mick to take pics and document what hes been doing.

Old 16-04-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looking great! Looks like a bigger job than I thought it would be
Old 16-04-2015
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRen View Post
Looking great! Looks like a bigger job than I thought it would be
It is actually... I'm glad it didnt show up 2 days before Coffs like we were hoping it would haha

Old 17-04-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Yep, looking awesome mate!

It makes your Commander look higher than what it was too.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 18-04-2015
MudSplasher

So here are a couple of basic pictures of the chop required on the front rail to mount the winch cradle. It's pretty the whole front section between the chassis rails that needs to go in order to get the cradle in.

The outside sections that are cut are to allow room for the fog lights as the mount a fair way back in the bar.
In the instructions, it actually says to cut the ends off, but in doing that you lose the light stays (which are the right angle bits of tin spot welded to the rail). In the instrcutions, it would appear that Maniac made their own new light stays to rectify that issue - but we just cut around it to retain them and not create more work. This I will also be putting forward to Wolf for future improvements.

Here is a reminder what the front rail looked like before the cut...

and as it is now...

Old 18-04-2015
MudSplasher

PAINTED!!!

Old 20-04-2015
MudSplasher

Default Nearly finished!!!!

Almost there!!

So the bars are now on for their final fit...

Mick hit another minor hurdle or two. The main one this time being the swinger arm on the rear bar - it actually didnt clear the faceplate under the tail light, so the corner on the swinger had to be ground down to clear, and then airbrushed again to tidy it up.

I also took a couple of pics of the nut on the back of the strap that mounts over the front of the coolers - it sits a little too close to the cooler for my liking, but should get away with it. That was also after modifying the strap as I said in a previous post.

So as it sits, both bars are mounted, tyre carrier mounted, fog lights and light bar installed. Exhaust has also been cut back inline with the rear coil, and will be having the tip cut off the excess pipe and re-welded to the exhaust to point the exhaust down.
All that is really left to do is locate all the plugs and airbag valves on the rear bar, mount the flares and the mud flaps, and then finish a few other little things on the car that i wanted tidied up and she should be ready for tomorrow arvo!

After the mod to the swinger.... nice even gap now, and clears nicely.

This is the nut on the bottom of the strap to the back of the winch cradle

Mick cut a hole in the bar to accommodate my anderson plug for the camper trailer. He used the cut out to weld in and become the plate for the plug to bolt to. Nice and neat, anderson plug now stays out of the way and is protected.

Will post the final pics later in the week when I get some clear daylight to take good pics!!

Post New Thread  Reply