Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-10-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

For starters, just because something has been replaced doesn't mean that it's effective, you haven't actually verified your temps which to me would be THE first thing to do so you actually KNOW what's going on istead of assuming.
New parts IMHO are not always a guarentee of a fix, new parts, especially ebay specials and the like can be hit and miss as far as effectiveness goes, after all this is why I am still running my original t/stat as the Tridon one from autobarn was no good, I have also heard of people replacing a leaking but effective radiator with a brand new one and having cooling issues with the new part.
Also you state that the radiator has been replaced, that's great, how do you know it's not partially blocked due to garbage in the cooling system being dislodged and finding the fresh new radiator a nice place to reside?
As for the scoop not being able to hurt, think again, changing air pressures under the bonnet can have detrimental effects on the cooling system due to the reduction of airflow through the radiator due to the increased air pressure behind it, I tested this some time ago (mine is slightly different due to the twin electric fans) and by simply raising the rear of the bonnet 13mm my engine tem was noticably higher on the guage then it was with the stock set up, I also measured temps of various under bonnet items in all 4 corners, these too increased in temp with the bonnet spaced at highway speeds.
I ended up going with these vents...

at low speed the hot air vents out through them but at around 50-60kmh this reverses and cool air is forced into the engine bay but I detected no change in operational temps at highway speed, I have since sold this bonnet but plan to revisit this again soon using the same style of vent but this is mainly for low speed work...

Also what's the deal with this 200rpm issue, never heard of this before?

Lastly, an Xj with an effective cooling system doesn't overheat driving down the highway, maybe low speed crawling on a hot day may stress it some but not highway driving, so this means that the cooling system is not effective, untill you find out what is actually going on then any mods that mask this underlying issue is just a band aid......

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 28-10-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Thanks everyone for the input
My entire cooling system is NEW!
and clean as including all the rad air con rad and tranny cooler rad
2 years ago and 4000 klm ago I flushed the block and replaced the thermostat radiator and water pump
all highway driving as I live in Blackall its on the highway straight away 100 klm either way to the next town............and no stop start traffic in town
so one would think at 100 to 105 kph there would be plenty of air flow to keep it reasonably cool

then 2000 klm ago I had thermostat issues I replaced it with one from repco whick died after a week luckly I was in Brisbane so I changed that thermostat for this my 3rd thermostat which supposedly opens at 85 deg I changed the cover as well so there would be no chance of a leak I also changed out the ebay aluminium plastic radiator for a OEM radiator and bottom hose it ran a bit cooler on the way home but still hotter than I would of liked after all that $$$$$
still over the 100 mark whats the next mark on the dial 110? that's where it was staying
not much use in the last 12 months as we generally drive the PT around town probably 500 k in the last 12 months
all fluids are correct although I found I needed about 500 ml of coolant to top up after sunday
so you can see my dilemma all the cooling system is good?
I am going to run it in the yard to see if the electric fan cuts in ok but you shouldn't need that on the highway
Should You?
Is it the ElCheapO coolant from supercheap I use ? doesn't worry the PT and its a east/west engine it runs nice and cool
Should I try a expensive I bet you bute waterless coolant?
I really don't know at the moment
FWIW ... My run around area down here, is similiar to yours.

Back in 2009 ... I did this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
The cooling list ...

Adrad 2row copper/brass radiator .. JEE9001.C/A2 .. bought through local radiator supplier,
New Top & Bottom Hoses .. (Mr Wooders),
New Hose Clamps .. (Bursons),
New Tridon Thermostat .. TT1-195'f .. (Bursons), Is fully open at 205' imstead of 220' like the factory specs mentioned for the XJs thermostat.
New T'stat housing (Mr Wooders),
New USMW Water Pump (Mr Wooders),
New USMW/Derale heavy duty FanClutch .. (Mr Wooders),
New Tridon 16psi Rad Cap .. (Bursons),
Back Flushing,
Tectaloy 60Plus premixed rust inhibitor "type B" coolant .. (Bursons), http://www.tectaloy.com/page14.html
Check online sources for a premix brand of your preference, and anti-freeze ratio suitable for YOUR needs.
New Dayco Fan Belt .. (Bursons),
... and bypassed the radiator ... so the tranny oil only runs through a proper sized cooler.

Havent seen engine running temps of 100*c since - even on 40*c days
... on any of my temperature monitors,
... and I have to manually turn on the factory 12v fan now and then, to make sure it still works, as it hardly ever needs to activate except for prolonged idling on a 35*C+ day.

What elcheapo coolant from supercheap are you using?

Was it a premix ... or did you buy an eth-gly concentrate and mix it with water yourself ?

Overheating on the highway usually points to a radiator blockage.
New or not ... I'd be pulling the rad and giving it a back flush,
... as its quite possible your "new" rad got some gunk in it from the engine.

... or its gunked up from the lack of use over time ...

X 2 with all the others suggesting that you confirm your temperature readings.

The dash gauge is an indicator ... and generally useless as a diagnostic tool.

Do you still have the tranny oil running through the hot side of the radiator before it gets to a cooler ?

Any fault codes ? O2 sensors arent dodgy and causing too rich / lean mixes ?

X 2 with the others on finding and fixing THE problem,
... before you waste time and money on mods, and chopping unnescessary holes in your bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
... Antifreeze is not that great at transferring heat ...
Not that great ... at a lot of things ..

Just to clarify tho .....

Its actually quite at good at transferring heat,

The issue with it is ... it likes transferring heat around the cooling system so much ... that it doesnt want to let it go, at the radiator, compared to what happens with water and other liquids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
What is 'ECU thinks its running choke '
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
I'm assuming he means that the system will run richer when at cool temps....
From the factory manual ....

A Warm-up cycle is counted when the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) has crossed 160°F / 70*c ... and has risen by at least 40°F since the engine has been started.

The fuel injection system has the following modes of operation:
² Ignition switch ON
² Engine start-up (crank)
² Engine warm-up
² Idle
² Cruise
² Acceleration
² Deceleration
² Wide open throttle (WOT)
² Ignition switch OFF

What the OP thinks is "choke" probably depends on whether he has read a factory tech article, or various forum type info, or a cooling product sales pitch,

Full "choke" would be a cold weather, cold start,
... Likely decided on by the Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor,
... followed by reduced fuel input levels according to the coolant temp sensor i.e. the various, increasing, temps read during the "warm up mode".

Ahhhh ... life was so much easier in the old days,
... pull the choke knob out for a COLD start ... push it in a bit after start, push it in a bit more whenever the vehicle starts spluttering and bunny hopping down the road - due to too rich a fuel mix ..

Last edited by carvesdodo; 28-10-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 28-10-2015
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Well you gota love forums for all the interesting info people offer and I say thanks to all

carcesdodo

New copper/brass radiator for jeep .. bought through local radiator supplier in Brisbane 12 months ago
New Top & Bottom Hoses ..
New Hose Clamps ..
New Thermostat .. from mechanic Brisbane 12 months ago
New T'stat housing Repco Brisbane 12 months ago
New $60.00 Ebay Water Pump
Origional clutch fan
New Rad Cap
Back Flushing.......................................... ...........
(When I got the XJ a few years ago I knew it was a fixer upper I did a white vinegar rad flush ran it through for about a week around town say 50 k then flushed with water (bore water) drained and filled with coolant........still wasn't happy with temps ...replaced thermostat.....ebay replaced water pump....ebay
replaced radiator with a aluminium plastic.....ebay
after my thermostat shit it self I put the OEM radiator in ...........yes there might of been a little coolant mixing.......GUILTY overall the system was not that dirty when I flushed it)
Coolant unknown supercheap elcheapo but I do have a 5 litre bottle of Tectaloy 60 plus premixed in the shed
New Dayco Fan Belt ..to be fitted as just arrived on Monday
I have to get everything online otherwise once a year when I come down to the real world

junglejuice

As far as the rad being blocked yeah fair enough but this the second radiator I have put in and as you have read the above have flushed it with white vinegar was not good enough? as it wasn't too dirty on the way out
as for the RPM yes this is the first time I have ever seen this
cruise control 105 kph steady at 2000 rpm then on the way back running hot 105 kph was 2300 rpm I ended going out of cruise control and dropped to about 90 kph keeping the revs around 1900 to 2000 limping home I was hoping it was my new $3500 tranny rebuild getting hot but plenty of tranny fluid and the tranny cooler looks fine it always seems to run hotter on cruise control compared to manual driving now that
I think of it I had to drop outa cruise control coming home last year so I could manage my temperature
and that was days after a new radiator thermostat and cover a bit hard when you are 700 k out bound to turn around and go back to the shop and say this is still running hot...........lol
Ok what I might try next is........DrumRoll here we go again!
A New Tridon Thermostat .. TT1-195'f .. Is fully open at 205' imstead of 220' like the factory specs mentioned for the XJs thermostat.......like carvesdodo talks about
Another flush not with white vinegar but with some rad flush stuff
after flushing flush clean water while installing the thermostat so that everything is rinsed thoroughly refill with the Tectaloy 60Plus premixed I already have (its been unopened in the shed for a year) and see how that goes fingers crossed

I like the vents junglejuice but still a scoop and vent Fan if I had the $$ to do in foul swoop after reading so much I would go with
high pressure water pump and thermostat housing waterless coolant system
a new tranny cooler moved off to one side and a new smaller air cond rad the standard one covers the whole rad that would have to enhance the air flow and some louvered vents but I haven't the $$ so I will go with the above new thermostat and a good flush
Old 28-10-2015
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Origional clutch fan
Whilst its not likely the cause of your highway issues ... At that age, Its probably not functioning real well at the lower speeds either.

I'd put one on your shopping list ... but not a, no name fleabay one ..

Quote:
then flushed with water (bore water) drained and filled with coolant
Coolant unknown supercheap elcheapo but I do have a 5 litre bottle of Tectaloy 60 plus premixed in the shed
Was wondering whether you had been putting any bore water in there. Make sure you get it all out or you will have calcium deposits etc., happening.

If your bathroom fittings have deposit buildups happening ... then your radiator will suffer the same.

Its why I buy a common, readily available, off the shelf pre-mix ... so I dont have to consider water quality issues.

You will need two and a bit, 5l bottles of pre-mixed "coolant" for a complete fill.

11.4 ltrs is the factory spec quantity.

Quote:
I have to get everything online otherwise once a year when I come down to the real world
Yep know that feeling ... have a 2hr+ drive to a town with a set of traffic lights ... that might have a selection of what Im after ....

RockAuto in the U.S. is a handy internet shopping spot ...

and .... I wouldnt call Brisso the real world ... its been a peculiar place, ever since that world expo business back in '88 ..

Old 28-10-2015
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
Whilst its not likely the cause of your highway issues ... At that age, Its probably not functioning real well at the lower speeds either.

I'd put one on your shopping list ... but not a, no name fleabay one ..

Carves, I'm pretty sure that this has already been mentioned, a couple of times....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 28-10-2015
MonsterMoose

Quote:

New copper/brass radiator for jeep .. bought through local radiator supplier in Brisbane 12 months ago
Exactly the radiator style that I've heard people complain that caused overheating issues in the past...

Quote:
A New Tridon Thermostat ..
I have a basically unused one here somewhere that you can have if you want, was in for about two days, till I refitted my now at least 12yr old OEM unit that came with the car when I bought it, was highly unstable temp wise...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 29-10-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts

might just be worth getting a proper service on the radiator.. i had mine rodded and had the trans cooler taken out. actually found out I had about 20% blockage, said it's common for these radiators being so long and narrow.

Hanen't had any cooling issues at all since doing that and was 1/3 price of a copper brass unit. (note mine already had a copper / brass in)
Post New Thread  Reply