thinking about buying a JK - think again - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-02-2010
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdate View Post
look at the small sample of JK's in the poll on DW and see just how many JK's have experienced true DW - 35%
That's a pretty big minority, regardless if people have modified suspension or not, as it is proven that it happens to all JK's stock & modified

!
lets keep this in perspective. Firstly i dont beleive you can include modified vehicles with DW as it is not a factory problem and some people modify them poorly on the cheap and wonder why DW occurred. I got an instance of DW and this was attributed to highly worn and nasty control arm bushes on aftermarket component and absolutely nothing to do with factory
secondly, people often throw around DW terminology when in fact they more than likely got shimmy or bad shimmy. You can argue terminology of words if you wish but Shimmy is not DW but may eventually lead to it so i beleive these figures are over inflated
Thirdly, it is a live axle issue not a Jeep issue
Old 25-02-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
just quickly, Castor changes will not fix the shimmy or DW if it is being caused by worn/faulty components.

been there. done that. unfortunately.
Yes... I agree with you YOM, the post was written to inform the PO that wheel alignments do very little since the toe can't be adjusted on the JK and without adjustable UCA's and adjustable LCA's there is nothing to adjust...

Worn parts may and can cause the onset of DW but are not the cause, from what I have read the only contributor to DW in the JK is a worn track bar/mounts/bushes or bent, which allows the vibration caused to amplify uncontrollably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglertj View Post
lets keep this in perspective. Firstly i dont beleive you can include modified vehicles with DW as it is not a factory problem and some people modify them poorly on the cheap and wonder why DW occurred. I got an instance of DW and this was attributed to highly worn and nasty control arm bushes on aftermarket component and absolutely nothing to do with factory
secondly, people often throw around DW terminology when in fact they more than likely got shimmy or bad shimmy. You can argue terminology of words if you wish but Shimmy is not DW but may eventually lead to it so i beleive these figures are over inflated
Thirdly, it is a live axle issue not a Jeep issue
X2

If the shimmy or whatever you want to call it; is between a speed range and then goes away by going faster or slower or by applying the break etc it's def not DW; its shimmy and attributed (9x out of 10) to wheel balance which in turn wears out the other bushes in the steering and suspension components (this can be caused by simply losing a weight on the trail or bending something by hitting the trail to hard) and may not be immediately noticeable.

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 25-02-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had my experiences with shimmy & DW but I can honestly say they were caused by me hitting, bending and grinding stuff offroad. Example is my MT MTZ's with shimmy, wheel balanced Thursday no shimmy, wheeled Ormeau Saturday, Monday Shimmy but worse, put back on Stock wheels no shimmy. Another example was I bent my steering stabiliser and with several other minor issues contributed to my DW experience.

I do feel sorry for the guys that never take it offroad and have these issues, bad luck I guess and yes maybe a Jeep quality thing or a bad bit of aftermarket gear or mall speed bump/gutter jumping etc.

Also I never see guys in brand new nissans, toyotas etc doing stuff like guys in thier JKs do. The guys I have wheeled with in QLD take their brand spanking new JKs where other similiar aged trucks would rarely go(if at all). These places tend to be muddy or rocky tracks where we break, bend and wear stuff all lot quicker....IMHO if you go offroad expect some problems and try to stay on top of them.
Old 25-02-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm with you gravel. i had a shimmy in a narrow rev range a while back on almost worn out tyres. rang local tyre bloke who told me it was 95% guaranteed to be wheel balance. month later fitted a new set of tyes and no shimmy.
Old 25-02-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happened to me as stated above. Tyre wear over one day on tough offroading day out.......
X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
If the shimmy or whatever you want to call it; is between a speed range and then goes away by going faster or slower or by applying the break etc it's def not DW; its shimmy and attributed (9x out of 10) to wheel balance which in turn wears out the other bushes in the steering and suspension components (this can be caused by simply losing a weight on the trail or bending something by hitting the trail to hard) and may not be immediately noticeable.
Old 25-02-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Yes... I agree with you YOM, the post was written to inform the PO that wheel alignments do very little since the toe can't be adjusted on the JK and without adjustable UCA's and adjustable LCA's there is nothing to adjust...

Toe can be adjusted on the JK by adjusting the tie rod. The only things on a stock JK that can be adjusted is your toe in/out and centring steering wheel from the drag link so there is little value in getting them aligned anyway as mentioned
Old 25-02-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:

Worn parts may and can cause the onset of DW but are not the cause, from what I have read the only contributor to DW in the JK is a worn track bar/mounts/bushes or bent, which allows the vibration caused to amplify uncontrollably.

X2

Nah. Here's what I think:

(you will have to forgive me here, i might use some of the wrong words, its been 5yrs since i sat in a physics class and i forget quickly ) Amplification of DW happens from worn components in the steering. Its to do with the spinning wheels and the inertia they develop when they're forced to change direction. Don't you remember when you were younger on a pushbike and getting the speed wobbles from being nervous? Same theory with the wheels on your front axle and as they are connected by a sexy stiff tie rod, it only takes one wheel to be flicking about with a little bit of wear in a joint to begin pushing the other wheel into the same motion except on the pushbike it was do with your balance and twitchy steering input. If the wear is bad enough then you get the shimmy and if it gets bad enough the death wobble. Most of the time though it is just a light shimmy (the solid axle shimmy we all know about and is normal), solved by the damper and the other wheel which didn't hit the bump still tracking true holding the wheel which wants to bounce out of control steady.

ps: i think you may have mixed up your words. the toe alignment is adjustable on the JK (but not for individual wheels).

pps: My RH TRE failed completely. This is completely "WTF" as there was no impact or stick damage to make this happen, it just plain wore out.
Jeep replaced the whole tie rod with an item that has visibly larger ends than the original unit. This tells me they know there is a problem with at least one revision of tie rods. I also have the larger steering damper now fitted, although this is just here to hide other problems rather than solve anything.

Unfortunately for Jeep this hasn't worked on my vehicle. There is abnormal movement on my RH front wheel. It visibly changes camber on bumps in the road (as in, a few degrees). This is either dud bearing or worn BJ on steering knuckle. This movement has no doubt been causing the axle leaks I get from the RH shaft too. I also get very early ESP activation when turning left at low speed (i mean ESP kicks in on dry flat bitumen at speeds around 20km/hr lol). I am working with the dealer to get the bottom of this. I'm actually going to compare the front axle sideways deflection/movement against a brand newie too, as I suspect the panhard bushes have been shagged by some of the epic death wobbling I've encountered (although they are not cracked or torn).

pps3: I was able to drive out of the shimmy which always lead to DW once at particularly low speed (60km/hr lol). It was wet and I pulled it into 4wd Hi and accelerated. Resolved it almost instantly. That was the only time i'd ever been able to fight and win it. DW later broke the 4wd lever cable off the transfer case. There was no particular speed zone for me, shimmy leading to DW could happen anytime at any moment.

pps4: there is no movement or elongated holes in my trackbar mounts, they are sturdy.

Whoops long post eh but good discussion anyway as there is obviously alot of speculation on the subject.

Last edited by Yom; 25-02-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply